It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011 - Lets fix Congress!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I got this email this morning from my mother of all people. Please read and spread the word if you agree. I, for one, feel this would be a good thing.

Please read and pass along if you agree!

I have totally cleaned this e-mail from all other names, sending it to you
in hopes you will keep it going and keep it clean. This is something I will
fight for and I hope you all read it all the way through. You will be glad
you did.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18-year-olds) took only 3
months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That
was in 1971 . . . before computer, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc. 

Of the 27 amendments to the constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to
become the law of the land . . . all because of public pressure. 

I'm asking you to forward this e-mail to a minimum of twenty people; in
turn, ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the
message. This is one idea that really should be passed around. 

Congressional Reform Act of 2011 

1. Term Limits: 12 years max, some possible options are below. 

A. Two Six-year Senate terms 

B. Six Two-year House terms 

C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms 

2. No Tenure / No Pension: Members of Congress receive a salary while in office, that salary ends when they leave office. 

3. Congress members (past, present & future) are to participate in Social Security. 
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. 
All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with all Americans. 

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do. 

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%. 

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people. 

7. Members of Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people. 

8. All contracts with past and present members of Congress are void effective 1/1/12. 

The American people did not make the contract that members of Congress enjoy, Congress made all these contracts for themselves. 

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. 

The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work. 

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people, then it will only take three days for most people 
(in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time. 

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS ! ! ! ! ! 

If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete. 

You are one of my 20+. Please keep it going.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
All of them sound good.

Although, I would change #1 to 4 years. 12 years is way too long.

This should also apply to the executive branch, as well.
edit on 24-10-2011 by BlackSol because: cause I can

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
pretty simple, i like it.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I agree 12 years is too long 1 senate term ( 6 years ) or 3 house terms ( 6 years ). Also shouldn't there be something done about lobbiests?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackSol

well, we have always said that 8 years isn't enough to do anything, and then the next guy gets the credit or blame for the good things that are accomplished.....Give them enough time, and I think we should consolidate it into a term....If they never have to worry about re-election, then their chances of being bought are much lower. We always here, well if this was an election year they wouldn't be voting that way....or if it was....you know the old arguments. So decrease the amount of election cycles they need to be concerned with, so they can get back to work.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

Only shallow people care about blame or credit.

I am so sick and tired of all the self-congratulatory back slapping when they actually do something they are supposed to do. Just as I am sick and tired of the incessant blame game.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If everybody in the U.S.A> would wright there states elected official email call wright and demand something along these lines. and when the did nothing call them home and start doing audits on them and there families and sizes everything the have. They are all a bunch of corporation Whores. There are three kinds of people in this world one who sits around and talks about it. one who gets and does it and the third who sits there and says what the F### just happened. Who are you? Warren Buffet said the same thing FIX congress in five minutes

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
So um...this has been posted before. Except it was the Congressional Reform Act of 2010. I'm sure it's floated around the internet before that too.

Word for word it's misrepresenting a lot of things, which I covered in the previous thread, here.

I hope you hit reply all and made sure all your friends weren't being lied to.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I was going to make a post on this but searched for and here it is. Does anyone know if this is Congressional Reform Act is the real deal?

Lately, I have been feeling so powerless with everything that has been happening in the US. I constantly wonder what I can do to try and make a difference with stuff like this. I read a poll on the Fox news website that 89% of Americans disapprove of our Congress. 89% is a ridiculous number but sadly even if it was a 100% would it even make a difference? It so frustrating.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This basically asks that people with money and power give up their ability to vote themselves more money and power.

That's a lot of faith in humanity....

top topics

join