It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BPA in pregnancy linked to behavior problems in baby girls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

BPA in pregnancy linked to behavior problems in baby girls

today.msnbc.msn.com

Mothers with higher BPA levels in their urine during pregnancy tended to have 3-year-old girls with more anxious and depressed behavior, and poorer emotional control and inhibition, researchers found.

A similar effect was not seen in boys whose mothers showed high levels of BPA. And BPA exposure after a child was born had no affect on behavioral and emotional control, according to the study.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well this is an interesting find. I was surprised to see that there was no observable effect on boys. That could be because BPA simulates Estrogen in the human body... not sure what the normal levels would be that female/male fetuses are organically exposed to....

Also, the fact that it effects the neural endpoints seems interesting as well, as I seem to recall a similar situation with Autism....

What are your thoughts ATS?

today.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Don't blame all the behavior problems on chemicals. Most of the time, the little beasts are just plain mean, not unlike their mothers. Sample 1. Toddlers and Tiaras Sample 2. Dance Moms Sample 3. Any WalMart at rush hour.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by volafox

This isn't blame... this is evidence provided via the scientific method....

this is NOT an hypothesis... this is a proven FACT.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

A similar effect was not seen in boys whose mothers showed high levels of BPA. And BPA exposure after a child was born had no affect on behavioral and emotional control,

Key word, "similar" effect. The chemical changes tied to emotional imbalances in boys from mothers with high BPA levels would explain the explosion of gaybies the past 20-30 years. I don't see that many manly men anymore, especially on TV. Men seem to have become very soft and passive, afraid to get dirty, not that aggressive (sober), could be the fluoride doing that too I suppose.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by volafox

This isn't blame... this is evidence provided via the scientific method....

this is NOT an hypothesis... this is a proven FACT.

BPA's have been in everything plastic, epoxies, etc for decades.

So in 2011....where did they find a control group that has never touched BPA's?

I call total BS on this study.

speculation

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Oh I think it's easy to find a control group in 2011 who hasn't....

You obviously haven't seen the rise of the hippies over the last 20 years....

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

A similar effect was not seen in boys whose mothers showed high levels of BPA. And BPA exposure after a child was born had no affect on behavioral and emotional control,

Key word, "similar" effect. The chemical changes tied to emotional imbalances in boys from mothers with high BPA levels would explain the explosion of gaybies the past 20-30 years. I don't see that many manly men anymore, especially on TV. Men seem to have become very soft and passive, afraid to get dirty, not that aggressive (sober), could be the fluoride doing that too I suppose.

Where did you get your skewed version of what "manly" was? oh I know... the post WWII propaganda era...

masculinity comes in all shapes and sizes.... some of us sew, cook, deal with fine things... etc.. and are very hetero....

But the 20th century version of "masculine" was reduced to such a narrow portion of the spectrum as to be ludicrous....

It's like expecting every woman to act like Barbie.... LOL

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

huh?
Cagefighting and Mixed Martial Arts are the most popular sport in TV right now, and is fast becoming the number 1 viewed sport in the world.
Men.. fighting.. in a cage.. like gladiators.

Mainstream TV ( FOX) just signed a multi million dollar deal to air UFC events.

Kinda blows yer theory out of the water doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Everything you said was your perspectives of what "manly men" are, not mine. I never cited any of those examples. I basically described what a "male" is suppose to be, not from TV programing or propaganda, I'm talking about Wild Kingdom male mammal behavior.
Women should know what I'm talking about. Men who cry because of great sadness, not because they broke a nail or lost the remote control. MEN, pre-fluoride in the water, pre-BPA, pre-Sponge Bob.

Why are we arguing semantics when you know what I'm talking about?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Here is another source for your collection: medicalxpress.com...

Exposure in the womb to bisphenol A (BPA) – a chemical used to make plastic containers and other consumer goods – is associated with behavior and emotional problems in young girls, according to a study led by researchers at Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), Cincinnati Children's Hospital and Medical Center, and Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia.

BPA is found in many consumer products, including canned food linings, polycarbonate plastics, dental sealants, and some receipts made from thermal paper. Most people living in industrialized nations are exposed to BPA. BPA has been shown to interfere with normal development in animals and has been linked with cardiovascular disease and diabetes in people. In a 2009 study, HSPH researchers showed that drinking from polycarbonate bottles increased the level of urinary BPA.

In this study, published October 24, 2011, in an advance online edition of Pediatrics, lead author Joe Braun, research fellow in environmental health at HSPH, and his colleagues found that gestational BPA exposure was associated with more behavioral problems at age 3, especially in girls.

Cheap plastics... I promise this wont be the end of 'correlations' made between the emergence of "cheap to manufacture" plastics and near-universal biological impact. Thank you captains of industry! Your board members must be proud of your ability to externalize the effects....

Makes one wonder about the total economic impact this garbage had in inflating health care costs over the years.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by volafox

Lmao, ive got a little monster..

I know what your saying. It kinda makes sense to me. The bpa in the babybottles.. Not good either. I wonder how much that has an effect on the study. Was it really just from the mother, or did these bottles make it more pronounced. Idk.
edit on 24-10-2011 by showintail because: Hit enter

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by BadNinja68

Oh I think it's easy to find a control group in 2011 who hasn't....

You obviously haven't seen the rise of the hippies over the last 20 years....

Im in so cal.. I see 'em every day.

They are trust fund hippies who preach the natural life while tweeting their political positions on their iPhones.
Not a single one of them have stayed away from BPA.. especially at a pre-teen age.
These studies are based on so much speculation it's scary.

Now I DO believe BPAs are harmful, but I do not believe this study can be 100% accurate.

Everything you said was your perspectives of what "manly men" are, not mine. I never cited any of those examples. I basically described what a "male" is suppose to be, not from TV programing or propaganda, I'm talking about Wild Kingdom male mammal behavior.
Women should know what I'm talking about. Men who cry because of great sadness, not because they broke a nail or lost the remote control. MEN, pre-fluoride in the water, pre-BPA, pre-Sponge Bob.

Because I think you are incorrect and making wild generalizations, and I think you are homophobic with the "gaybies" comment.

Maybe you need a new set of friends..lol

When you say things like "Manly Men" everyone assumes you mean the traditional description of a "Manly Man".
So stop acting like you meant otherwise.

The thing is, reality shows the opposite.

If you mean the level emotional intelligence has risen in men, I'd agree, but I think it has more to do with evolution and environment than BPAs.

Because I think you are incorrect and making wild generalizations, and I think you are homophobic with the "gaybies" comment.

Maybe you need a new set of friends..lol

When you say things like "Manly Men" everyone assumes you mean the traditional description of a "Manly Man".
So stop acting like you meant otherwise.

The thing is, reality shows the opposite.

If you mean the level emotional intelligence has risen in men, I'd agree, but I think it has more to do with evolution and environment than BPAs.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I have never known and emotionally in control 3 year old. In fact kids cry scream and demand until well until they are moved out of the house and you can't hear them anymore. Kids are emotional wrecks. Happy angry frustrated teary they run the whole spectrum...its called emotional development. Not to say BPA doesn't screw you up but emotions is a hard case to prove at 3 years old.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've been avoiding BPA for a few years now. Imagine my surprise when, during a recent pregnancy related hospital stay, they wanted me to drink loads of water from a plastic mug that made the water reek of chemical smell. I had my husband bring me a glass water bottle ASAP. I think doctors and hospitals better heed this study.

In fact, why is BPA still allowed in any food containers whatsoever? When I read studies like this, I'm always reminded of that movie, Children of Men.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

HEY!! I cry when I lose the remote! (If I lose it, the kids badger me into a migrane!!)

Must be from drinking from that filthy garden hose again...

It may, it may not. I'm sure (just a common sense approach) that some chemicals will do weird things to the human animal. However, just like with alcohol, your mileage may vary. I can drink 5 shots and a 1/2 hour later pass a sobriety test, but my friend can drink two and fail. Same, IMO, with any chemical. So yeah, it might have caused changes in girls, and even some boys. But I personally would take that with a grain of salt.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I have a theory that plastics and chemicals are what is causing almost a role reversing in girls and boys...girls become more aggressive and dominant while boys become subdued and submissive. In nature when frogs and fish have reproductive problems due to chemicals in the water it is always the males that are affected, and usually they grow female organs. I think this study didn't find anything in boys because the effects will not be seen until later, perhaps after puberty.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
It's crazy that more people don't know that these companies are using BPA in the products the are buying and touching on a daily basis. More people need to get aware that this government and some of these big companies are not to be trusted and they are doing everything things in their power to hurt and lower population growth.

If anyone would be interested I recently started a petition for everyone to sign on this issue. It would also help if you could help by telling friends about this petition and spread the word for we can get something done about this.

www.change.org...

top topics

join