It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if asteroid 2005 yu55 hit the earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Found this interesting video showing what would happen IF asteroid 2005 yu55 hit the earth.

Another video explaining how close yu55 will come to earth.. and if it hit which side of the planet would be in danger

to try the program yourself visit
www.purdue.edu...

Princeton model shows fallout of a giant meteorite strike

Seeking to better understand the level of death and destruction that would result from a large meteorite striking the Earth, Princeton University researchers have developed a new model that can not only more accurately simulate the seismic fallout of such an impact, but also help reveal new information about the surface and interior of planets based on past collisions.

link

link to nasa program eyes on the universe

solarsystem.nasa.gov...

now i have to say, i dont know enough about this stuff to confirm or deny what he is saying but thought i would put it out there for my fellow users, it seemed quite interesting to me..

link

edit on 24/10/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Did you get this from the truth behind the scenes?

thetruthbehindthescenes.wordpress.com...
edit on 24-10-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Did you get this from the truth behind the scenes?

yes.. there is a link to the page at the bottom of the post... the link at time of posting wasnt working but ive fixed it now...

thought it was quite interesting... the guy seems to make sense without making any wild claims..

looks like you added one anyway

edit on 24/10/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Cool. It's pretty interesting thinking about this information though. I can hardly believe that it would cause a 6 - 7 on the richter scale
wouldn't be bigger?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
IF it hit one of the oceans, then the coastlines would become like Japan during the tsunami, except the water would be moving much faster and the initial wave would be pretty high.
I'm in NH and if it hit the Atlantic ocean, I'd have beach front property.

Dear NASA/ESA: Aim it towards the Atlantic ocean!!

edit on 24-10-2011 by JibbyJedi because: typo

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Its so round, it looks like a moon, doesnt it? I'm pretty sure its a moon.

www.space.com...

Wonder if its orbitting something. If its not, wonder what it escaped from.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

How does he know the 'density' of YU55?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

How does he know the 'density' of YU55?

im really not sure mate... he seems to be well versed on the whole asteroid thing but personally i dont know.. is this information out there somewhere?

im sure one of our resident space experts would be able to shed some light on it if they happen to pass by..

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Wonder if its orbiting something

Taking a wild stab in the dark, I'm gonna guess that it's orbiting the Sun

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

What about gravitational pull? Will this have an affect on our moon and or earth regarding that? Sorry I am still new to this stuff so can I get a "simple" response?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

No, not enough mass to affect any change in orbit or tide

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
wow a 6-7 quake 250 miles away. glad there is nothing to worry about its about the earth plane and I doubt the gavity field of earth will effect it enof to be any concern. Nice little program in the video

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There you go, this is what they will use to scare people into NWO compliance. It is a very survivable event, get away from the coast and you'll be OK. The only real issue will be cleaning up the mess on the coast and really cheap prices on prime Atlantic real-estate LOL. The sociopolitical chaos is my main concern.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I've just been reading through the thread and I watched the first video. Great thread BTW!
I noticed Chrono16 made a common transatlantic error in his calculations so i decided to try it myself on the Purdue site.
Chrono16 said feet but he entered 1500 metres. In most of the results there is only a slight difference (6.8 becomes 7 richter, etc). However, in the tsunami one, there is a HUGE difference. An enormous monstrosity of a difference between 1500 feet and 1500 metres.

1500 metres - wave amplitude between 15.9 cm and 21 metres (6 imches to 79 feet, a huge scope of possibilities)
1500 feet - wave amplitide between 6.69 metres and 13 metres! (21.9 feet to 41.3 feet - smaller scope, FAR more likely to produce a killer wave)

Try it yourself.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
In the second video he again miscalculates by stating that YU55 will hit the side facing it.
But at that point, YU55 is 198,000 miles awy and approaching at 30,000 miles per hour so it would hit in 6.5 approx hours time. As the Earth spins at around 300 mph and is 8000 miles in diamter, someone else can work out the rest of that equation to work out where YU55 would hit...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Its so round, it looks like a moon, doesnt it? I'm pretty sure its a moon.

"That's no moon......it's a space station..."

(Sorry, couldn't resist
)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
In the second video he again miscalculates by stating that YU55 will hit the side facing it.
But at that point, YU55 is 198,000 miles awy and approaching at 30,000 miles per hour so it would hit in 6.5 approx hours time. As the Earth spins at around 300 mph and is 8000 miles in diamter, someone else can work out the rest of that equation to work out where YU55 would hit...

well spotted Aestheteka.. i hadnt even noticed that, especially what you say about the first video, that is actually a fundemental error..

as for the second video.. again well spotted...
if that was the case and it hit 6.5 hours later that (by my rough calculations) would mean it would hit (IF it did hit i must add) roughly around the region where that big red X is on the other yu55 thread..?

Maybe i havent worked that out correctly but if it is right.. damn.. that would be some coincidence there!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I hope they get very good images of it as it goes by.
It reminds me of a giant cannon ball.

it could very well be a tiny moon or something.
Who knows whats floating around out there.
It sure does look round.
I think they classified it as a stony asteroid.

Could it be the solidified core of a planet???
Wouldn't that be cool!!

But yeah, it looks very round.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
what we need is a surfing challenge that day with pro surfers riding those waves.

its like 200 meter wide rock??? now times that by 3 and those tsnunami waves by 100 and if it hits we're so screwed. there goes the nuclear power plants and radiation into the environment even more. also the boom will be like a nuke going off?? emp time. but who would be left to use all that tech anyhow.

stop your worrying. death will be quick

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It's calculated that the asteroid that created the Chicxulub crater in Mexico was between 6 and 12 miles in diameter, not 400 meters like 2005 YU55.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join