It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sigh..Please rub some words together in you opening post. Asking nicely.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Once again a post really interested me, the one about the real reason why Gadaffi died, but because I haven't got uncapped interenet I have no clue because the opening post only says that he found the video interesting.

Internet access is rather expensive in Africa and if I watch this vid I am strapped for internet until payday.

In Italy I had uncapped, 24/7, and now realise why my friends back in Africa never watched anything I sent them.

....sigh..

So, may I humbly ask, please give a brief description when you post a vid?

Thanking you in advance.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Not an unreasonable request. I'll hook you up homie.

The video in question was an RT piece explaining that Gadaffi wanted to start selling his oil for gold dinars instead of worthless dollars.

Hope you're warm. I'm freezing my butt off near the Canadian border at the moment.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

I agree completely. Wether you are posting up a news article , a set of images, or a video, it is vital that a thought out summary be given for the content you are posting. The reasons for this are many fold.

First, as you rightly point out, not everyone can veiw videos. At least fifty percent of the time, I am using a computer which does not play sound, so interviews, and language heavy videos are largely lost on me half the time, and I have to wait till later to veiw the content properly when it has an audiological component.

Second, where the scenario of a posted text and photographic article being offered up is concerned, sometimes a link will fail, or direct to something that is not the intended content (that last bit is quite rare, but mistakes happen). To ensure that no confusion manifests itself, it is best to provide a summary , or pose a question.

Last but not least, while I understand entirely that for SOME subjects an unbiased delivery can be desired,this does not mean that one should post the content alone and a one line covering post. Speaking in terms of ideals , it would be best if at least a paragraph is offered up by content posters, to present the information they are offering, and to ensure that everyone knows what is supposed to be in the content displayed.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It is always appreciated to have some sort of brief or statement about the video, link, or photos posted, at least. Some videos are of indeterminate length and I have no idea where or to what a link will take me so I like to know if it is of interest or just something posted 50 times before. Without some description or comment it is just not worth the time of day to go check it out. Usually regret even clicking on that thread.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It's a good thing to remind members

In thread starters as well as posts, it's best to post an explanation, a few lines, as much information as you can, to go along with your link, video or image.
Your supposed to be posting to entice members to respond and learn something.

And,as the OP says here, not everyone can watch the videos for various reasons.

So, it behooves us to be considerate of others when posting and explain off-site content

In fact, I've used this mod note a lot to get member awareness

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Quick q:

I will be creating a new thread in a few weeks but I'm concerned that it will be devided into many posts because I'm only allowed about 5k characters. What's the best way to create this thread?

reducing or condensing the thread into few words will not work because of the contents.

advice needed.

thanks

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Hmm... I think that the way you could do this, would be do your opening post, and then use tabs to type up the rest as replies to your initial thread posting.

For more information , refer to a moderator.They may be able to advise you further on this matter.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by edmc^2

Hmm... I think that the way you could do this, would be do your opening post, and then use tabs to type up the rest as replies to your initial thread posting.

For more information , refer to a moderator.They may be able to advise you further on this matter.

thanks TrueBrit - but how do you do the tabs?

I didn't know ATS has tabs.

OK I click on New Thread - now I have 7500 characters available for a thread - but still too small.

edit on 28-10-2011 by edmc^2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Ok... Your internet explorer has tabs. You only have to log in once, but you can open multiple tabs in internet explorer. What you could try, is posting your initial thread begining, and then open up as many tabs in internet explorer as you need, and go to the thread on ATS on EACH of those threads .

Then you click reply , to reply to your thread, in each of those explorer windows. Type the rest of your info into those reply boxes, and then post the replies in the order you wish them to be displayed. Thats how I would do it.

As I said though, there may be a simpler way,so speak to a moderator about it before making an attempt if its causing you a headache

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by edmc^2

Ok... Your internet explorer has tabs. You only have to log in once, but you can open multiple tabs in internet explorer. What you could try, is posting your initial thread begining, and then open up as many tabs in internet explorer as you need, and go to the thread on ATS on EACH of those threads .

Then you click reply , to reply to your thread, in each of those explorer windows. Type the rest of your info into those reply boxes, and then post the replies in the order you wish them to be displayed. Thats how I would do it.

As I said though, there may be a simpler way,so speak to a moderator about it before making an attempt if its causing you a headache

ok thanks - got it - only problem is that as soon as I post it - someone will reply and the sequence will get missed up.

from what i calculated i'll probably need at least 6 or 7 (max of 7k characters) continuous post to get the flow going.

anyway - i'll try to compress the contents as much as i can to shorten the thread but i'm afraid i will lose much of the info.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

I will be creating a new thread in a few weeks but I'm concerned that it will be devided into many posts because I'm only allowed about 5k characters. What's the best way to create this thread?

What I usually do is write up the thread on the regular page for posting new threads as normal, then once I start to come close to the character limit I copy and paste it into word, save it and then begin writing the next post on the regular page for posting new replies to threads (in other words I click on a random thread, click reply and then begin typing again - I do that as opposed to the page where you start a thread as the character limits are different for regular posts), then, when writing the second post, if I come close to my word limit again I copy and past it into word but I'll leave a gap of about a page. That way when I come to posting the whole thing for real I know how many posts I'll be posting, how long and what content is in each post and most importantly I know I'll be able to post it all quickly thus avoiding anyone posting before I'm finished.

The word limits can be a pain the way they are right now, especially when writing longer threads, but writing them up as normal, then copying and pasting to word when neccesary, and doing the above works best for me. It makes it that much easier and if it takes you longer than a day to write it all up (because of research, fact checking or whatever), at least you know it's all saved and each post is already split up into appropriate sections all ready to post almost straight away.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by edmc^2

What I usually do is write up the thread on the regular page for posting new threads as normal, then once I start to come close to the character limit I copy and paste it into word, save it and then begin writing the next post on the regular page for posting new replies to threads (in other words I click on a random thread, click reply and then begin typing again - I do that as opposed to the page where you start a thread as the character limits are different for regular posts), then, when writing the second post, if I come close to my word limit again I copy and past it into word but I'll leave a gap of about a page. That way when I come to posting the whole thing for real I know how many posts I'll be posting, how long and what content is in each post and most importantly I know I'll be able to post it all quickly thus avoiding anyone posting before I'm finished.

The word limits can be a pain the way they are right now, especially when writing longer threads, but writing them up as normal, then copying and pasting to word when neccesary, and doing the above works best for me. It makes it that much easier and if it takes you longer than a day to write it all up (because of research, fact checking or whatever), at least you know it's all saved and each post is already split up into appropriate sections all ready to post almost straight away.

Thanks much RA - I'll give a try!!

curious - are pictures counted as characters? - cuz I have a lot of them.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

curious - are pictures counted as characters? - cuz I have a lot of them.

Yep, as are bb code, videos and anything else like that.

And btw, as well as doing what I wrote in my last post, and as others have mentioned so far, It's a good idea to open up a few tabs and write up the thread that way (I usually use around 3). It makes it soo much easier to write in my opinion.

top topics

join