It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qualified vote ( fair / un-fair )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
There is a lot of sentiment that hold democracy as the best/fairest form of social order.

I believe it makes a lot of bunny hugging sense, however:

In many ways democracy is fundamentally flawed.
After wishing it to be so for a long time, I have come to the conclusion that all people are not equal.

I feel one should earn the right to vote, and then be encouraged to increase the "gravity" of ones vote, through education and contributions to society.

I don't think that democracy can work, when the "general" man will always vote for more free stuff.

Without a "qualified vote", a society will always outvote the productive and stagnate.

I am fully aware of how inequities can occur, when special interest groups dominate politics, but I don't think people should vote on issues they have no insight into.

There are many "newly" democratic countries that given half a chance would vote for communism.

What happens when there are more indigent voters than tax payers ?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rom12345

You're correct in assuming that a 'true' democracy (in which every person votes on every issue) isn't a viable form of government for anything much larger than a few hundred people (and even then, it gets...interesting). One solution is to form a republic, rather than a democracy, and allow the people to choose representatives who will then (in theory) vote in their interest. The premise here is that a few people who have government as their full time job will have the time (and the motivation) to educate themselves more completely on complex matters, and therefore make better choices.

Another solution is limiting the franchise. Most countries exclude those below a certain age from the electorate, and most exclude convicted felons, just to provide two examples.

The devil, as the saying goes, is in the details. Leave the franchise too open, and you'll create a massive snarl...tabulating the votes takes so long that decisions become irrelevant by the time they are reached, if they can be reached at all. Restrict the franchise too tightly, and you create an elitist 'upper class' of empowered voters. What you're suggesting sounds remarkably like the government that Robert Heinlein described in Starship Troopers (the book, not that god-awful travesty of a movie).

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I hear you.
In fact i live in a republic, but the "representitives" are all clepto-communist and the average man can't read or write.

new topics

join