It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slave Labor in America!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Slave labor in America...and not the illegals...I'm talking about 2 million prisoners in the USA! Locked up, cheap labor for under minimum wage!

Here is the link to an eye-opener, I recommend it to get familiar with this important topic:

Slave Labor in America!

Here are some of the main points:

-The US taxpayer is paying $47,000 per inmate; meanwhile they are doing up to twelve hours labor on a dollar or two a day...or less.

-Companies that make use of this slave labor pool of prisoners include: BP, IBM, Boeing, Motorola, Microsoft, AT&T, Texas Instrument, Dell, Compaq, Honeywell, Hewlett-Packard, Nortel, Lucent Technologies, 3Com, Intel, Northern Telecom, TWA, Nordstrom's, Revlon, Macy's Pierre Cardin, Target Stores and Chevron! Comapnies are closing down "legitimate" places in America and re-hiring prisoners for pennies to get in on the gravy train!

-Not only is the labor far below minimum wage; the companies don't have to worry about stuff like strikes, health care, or basic conditions for labor.

-The companies like this so much they actively lobby for more longer prison terms than are necessary...just to get more slave labor for longer amounts of time!
(This one particularly gets me.)

-With government debt being such a big issue, isn't it time for a better system?

edit on 24-10-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Nevada is a big example of how a state can throw away education initiative for prison profits.

The fact is, our education system sucks here. But if you fail here, don't worry, we have a place to put you.

I'm not saying prisons should be entirely phased out. But there is a conflict of interest in the prison system that simply can't be ignored. Much of it at the expense of education, which in my opinion, is the ONLY THING that can prevent crime.

The fact that companies that run these prisons lobby for longer prison sentences has less to do with the labor and more to do with the billions of tax payer dollars they get to pocket per inmate.
edit on 24-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
If they're referring to violent criminals--and I bet they're not--then have at it.

If they're referring to those locked up for victimless crimes who shouldn't be there to begin with--and I bet they are--it's one more crime in a long list against humanity.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I made a thread about this!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I asked if stricter laws were being put into place to create a prison country to use them as slave labor? I talked about a book that talks about the subject. People just sort of laughed me off.

OT: I knew it!

EDIT: Also this sucks....

edit on 10/24/2011 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Just a knee-jerk question:

How many of the above-mentioned corporations will hire an ex-felon when they get out?

I'll go out on a limb, and say none.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The Constitution allows for forced labor of criminals. Read the 13th Amendment.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

You are absolutely right. But we also have an 8th amendment that puts controls on how government can treat prisoners or charter others to do so.

There is also the question of conflict of interest when it comes to lobbying by the prison system.

new topics

top topics

join