It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most overlooked survival aspect. A must have.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Spices and Herbs:

If there’s one thing survival enthusiasts know, its that food is vital; and sometimes food must be sought from sources that you would not generally consider eating from. Wether it be old meat, insects or even the last can of brussel sprouts; anything will taste better with the aid of spice.
The reason I think that this is particularly important (besides from the health benefits) is that eating disgusting food is going to severely effect your emotions. Eating is a comfort for everyone and if you continue to eat tasty food you will greatly improve your chances of long term survival. Think about it: How upset and distressed would you be if you needed to eat off meat, insects or something of the sort? I don’t think I need to go into the dangers of becoming emotionally unstable in a survival situation but read this LINK for more info.

Most of the following herbs and spices are simple to grow indoors or outdoors and require very little space. You can dry them yourself or buy a large amounts of dried herbs and spices for very cheap at your local store.

Chilli:
Add some heat to your dish with chilli peppers -- and choose versions that are especially spicy to get the maximum amount of capsaicin. Capsaicin, the ingredient that provides the plants with their spice, also has medical benefits that include pain relief, heart health, fighting prostate cancer, and stopping ulcers. If you're ready to take on the hottest peppers out there, try habanera or Scotch bonnet; for less of a jolt, try jalapenos, Spanish pimentos, or cherry peppers.
Paprika

Cinnamon:
You already love cinnamon in pumpkin pie, cinnamon rolls, raisin bread, and cinnamon sugar topping, but there are healthier ways to reap the benefits of this power spice: Add it to your coffee, sprinkle it on oatmeal, stir it into peanut butter for celery sticks, and dash on sweet potatoes or carrots. While it brings out (and warms up) the flavours in the foods it is paired with, cinnamon will also help keep your arteries healthy, manage blood sugar levels, and lower cholesterol.
Pepper

Tumeric:
Brightly-colored turmeric comes from the same family of spices as ginger -- which means both plants can reduce inflammation in arthritis patients (and may block the formation of some cancers). Try it in a curry chicken dish from Planet Green's Kelly Rossiter -- and then add black pepper, since that tabletop staple is believed to help the body absorb turmeric for maximum effect.
Cumin

Parsley:
It's easy to ignore that little piece of parsley that always arrives next to your main dish, especially when it seems little more than a decoration (even if the bright flavour does fight bad breath). But this early spring green has been connected to health since the days of the Romans, and today its supporters believe the herb helps pass kidney stones, battle deafness, and prevent build-up in the arteries.
Mustard

Garlic:
Love garlic or hate it, you can't deny that it's good for you: As a staple of natural remedies and traditional medicine, garlic has anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiviral effects, and some studies show that it can stop blood clots from forming in your arteries. It's also an easy spice to add into your diet: Try it in pasta sauce, on pizza, roasted with other vegetables, or finely chopped in homemade spreads.
Vanilla

Thyme:
The strong flavour of thyme pairs well with comfort food -- think wintry soups, stews, and roasts -- and it's easy to grow at home with full sun and well-drained soil, so you can use it fresh or dried all year-round. But the health benefits go beyond warm soup on a cold night: The herb's oil is antiseptic and antibacterial, and recent studies show thyme can kill MRSA infections, which are resistant to other antibiotics.
This is only a tiny list of available herbs and spices, im sure most of you have your favourites; but don’t forget to stock up on a few different types so your not stuck with the same flavour.

Other similar items to stockpile include: Stock cubes, Aloe Vera(not for eating but great herbal medicine), Vinegar, Olive oil, Soy Sauce.. The list goes on, so whatever floats your boat really.

Sodium:

This isn’t so overlooked, but still doesn’t get much attention. Sodium is on of the best preservers of food and will also help to cover up any foul tastes.
I think sodium is one of the most important survival must haves in a long term scenario; Your going to waste a lot of energy if you constantly need to gather food. Sodium gives you the option to stockpile your food supply.

Benefits of Salt:
You may not think that table salt has any health benefits but salt is actually a great preservative which when eaten preserves the blood cells and blood vessels. Salt can even work in preserving food. For example, salt melts ice so in the winter you can melt the ice form the sidewalk when it snows. Salt is also great for when you have a toothache, out some salt in a glass with warm water and then gargle, it can help keep a tooth decay clean until you can get to a dentist. Salt in general has been said if used often enough that it can contribute to hypertension. So if you use it in moderation then you won't have to worry about high blood pressure. Salt in some foods act as preservative, that is why frozen foods have a high amount of sodium in them to preserve the food, as it stays frozen. Salt does not have many health benefits but as far as food goes, it has many. Salt will take moisture out potatoes and if you put salt in spaghetti water or in water for hard-boiled eggs it makes them easier to peel and the spaghetti won't stick together.

Salt Uses
How to preserve food with salt

Thanks for reading peoples.
Hope this can give some of you another item to add to your stockpile.
Never forget the basics.

Short Memory.

edit on 24-10-2011 by ShortMemory because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
You realize if you can't find/hunt for food you're gonna be screwed right?

Have fun eating your salt.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
You realize if you can't find/hunt for food you're gonna be screwed right?

Have fun eating your salt.

I think its fairly obvious this information is dependent on the fact that you have a food supply

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ShortMemory

Then don't title the thread "The most overlooked survival aspect."

Just sayin bro.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

Then don't title the thread "The most overlooked survival aspect."

Just sayin bro.

It is an overlooked survival aspect tho, its not like having food is overlooked is it.
Thanks for the bump

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
how about seeds. all those spices would be useless if you had no food to flavor.

depending on the nature of survival needed, having viable seeds like corn, potato, squash, tomatoes, pumpkin, etc can supplement your food and get you through long stretches.

it would also help moral and give you a sense of purpose tending to your vegetables and working the harvest.

right about now, wild hare in a hot simmering stew of tomatoes and potatoes cooking over an open flame perfectly seasoned, is making my mouth water and would probably make you forget the post apocalyptic nuclear holocaust you've just survived.

packs of most seed, range from 99 cents to 2 dollars. they are light to carry and store well. for about $15 you can more than enough feed yourself for months.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Well once again this info is dependent on the fact you have a food supply
But gardening is a great way to have a long term food supply and obviously is needed to grow the herbs and spices.

But the good thing about spices is they can be used on any food wether it be canned foods or fresh foods.
Your stew sounds nice! Making me hungry haha

A very important thing to remember when buying seeds is that you make sure the seeds are not GM modified.. In most cases they remove the plants reproductive systems so you need to purchase the seeds again. Most of the big seed brands will have this problem.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
A must have....

Absolutely not. Although seasoning would be nice they are not a "Must Have" item for survival.

Your thread title is misleading and even a debatable lie based on opinion.

I could and have lived without what you call a must have item...
edit on 24-10-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

A must have.... Absolutely not. Although seasoning would be nice they are not a "Must Have" item for survival. Your thread title is misleading and even a debatable lie based on opinion.

For a lot of people i think it would be. I dont know many people besides myself that would be happy eating old food or something like insects/ rodents.. Most people would be sick over it, but if they have no choice being able to add familiar flavour will help a lot.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShortMemory

A must have.... Absolutely not. Although seasoning would be nice they are not a "Must Have" item for survival. Your thread title is misleading and even a debatable lie based on opinion.

For a lot of people i think it would be. I dont know many people besides myself that would be happy eating old food or something like insects/ rodents.. Most people would be sick over it, but if they have no choice being able to add familiar flavour will help a lot.

Well if their or your survival depends on spices I promise I will not hold back on my laughter when they starve to death...

Survival means only the fit (physically and mentally) survive, and if they cant survive then observably they were not meant to in my opinion.

My point is that Spices are not a "must have" for survival, as your thread title so clearly states.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Well if their or your survival depends on spices I promise I will not hold back on my laughter when they starve to death... Survival means only the fit (physically and mentally) survive, and if they cant survive then observably they were not meant to in my opinion. My point is that Spices are not a "must have" for survival, as your thread title so clearly states.

99% of people are going to do what they have to.. but the possible mental effects for some people of eating foul food could be great. Even if they can eat the stuff for a while, they may not be able to for long periods.
right its survival of the fittest, so be prepared for everything..it may not be a necessity for you but i think any cheap and effective aspect is in a sense a must have because you never know what scenario you might find yourself in.. Consider a nuclear bomb or something where you can only find bugs, i bet $10000000 you would be cheering that you stockpiled some spices.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I think one of the most overlooked survival aspects is your environment.

Can you imagine trying to hunt for food or grow food in an urban jungle like Tokyo or New York City or Hong Kong??.....

Moving somewhere close to uninhabited woodland/Jungle should be a priority....because all of the survival stuff that you guys post here just Assume that there is a local Woods near you where you can go hunting and foraging for food....

Many population centers in the world just simply aren't like that

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
www.kirkhams.com...

Those little suckers are the bees knees as you have pretty much every spice you mentioned in a single container. Another side note if you are planning on taking large game such as deer for food its advisable to get very familiar with the process of jerking so that you can preserve the food and extend its shelf life, its probably one of the tastier methods of keeping meat as opposed to just packing it in salt (which might not be the most economical method given a lack of resupply)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
I think one of the most overlooked survival aspects is your environment.

Can you imagine trying to hunt for food or grow food in an urban jungle like Tokyo or New York City or Hong Kong??.....

Moving somewhere close to uninhabited woodland/Jungle should be a priority....because all of the survival stuff that you guys post here just Assume that there is a local Woods near you where you can go hunting and foraging for food....

Many population centers in the world just simply aren't like that

the good thing about spices is they make it easier for you too eat in almost any environment.. your correct about urban areas; imagine trying to eat bugs, rodents, small birds (things you find in urban environments) without spices? it would be pretty bad.
but even in a sustainable environment spices would help a lot and reduce the amount of hunting you need to do

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Yep, salt curing.

It's what smart pioneer/survivalist/country folk do to preserve their foods to last through the winter. There are other ways of preserving food, but dry salt curing and salt brines are definately the easiest and are pretty much fool proof. Hell, even fresh eggs will keep longer in a salt brine.

Fresh veggies and/or meat are not always going to be readily available on a daily basis in the winter months, so preparing and stocking up is a must.

And I agree, adding a little pinch of flavouring to your food can do wonders for a person psychologically... especially when it's a not-so-pretty survival scenario.

Nothing wrong with tasty food and a warm fire to lift ones spirits when the world around you has gone to the crapper.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
www.kirkhams.com...

Those little suckers are the bees knees as you have pretty much every spice you mentioned in a single container. Another side note if you are planning on taking large game such as deer for food its advisable to get very familiar with the process of jerking so that you can preserve the food and extend its shelf life, its probably one of the tastier methods of keeping meat as opposed to just packing it in salt (which might not be the most economical method given a lack of resupply)

yeah i think i have something similar with my camping gear somewhere.
good point! i love jerky and it certianly is tasty.. but isnt salt in most of the recipes and i love a bit of spice or flavour on it anyway

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Its also the most economical way to preserve food, if it wasnt it wouldnt be in every single processed food you find today.
But if you had the time to prepare you would be crazy not to preserve a good stockpile of foods.

I dont think many other people agree with me on the spices haha.. but seriously a lot of people would be doomed if they had to eat some things without spice in a survival situation.
It may not be vital but id certianly consider myself 'elite' if i was enjoying tasty food while others were dryreaching just trying to swallow what they need to survive.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Good point on the seasonings... especially the salt.

Many seasonings are not only for flavor, but for preserving, and even medicinal.

Salt is essential in preserving meat. We have a farm and we salt cure a decent amount of hams and fat back... much like my grand parents. You need three seasonings to do so...salt to dry out and cure and preserve the meat, pepper and red pepper to rub down the ham once cured to keep out the skippers( maggots). You will use an incredible amount of salt preserving meat... the salt draws out moisture. With no moisture, bacteria find it difficult to grow and even live...so they die and thus the meat is preserved.

Salt is good for curing wounds and even for sore throats. You put a table spoon of salt into a small cup with warm water and gargle...then spit. If you get a splinter in deep and can't get it out... cut a small piece of fatback...salted,cured pork fat... and place over the splinter and bandage before bed.. it will draw out the splinter over night.

Red pepper is not only good for BBQ and adding zing, it is good for the blood, mix it with vaseline and apply to an aching joint for muscle ache, and if taken in strong amounts in some potent cooking...it does a good job of cleaning out parasites.

Past those, you get into the flavored herbs and all of the medicinal uses of each... but your point is well taken. Have to check my stash of salt and upgrade.... thanks for the heads up.

edit on 24-10-2011 by AlreadyGone because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

yeah i have always used many spices and was surprised to learn some of the medicinal properties..
yum that sounds nice, i heard that ancient civilizations use to use amazing amounts of salt for preserving their meats and that it played a roll in many economic collapses.

i never knew it was good for saw throats but i use it a few times a week as a mouth wash because it prevents gum disease.
i also never knew you could use salt for splinters.. i always just used sugar on a band-aid.

red pepper does taste great, that’s great to hear.. i know a lot of people that spend heaps of money on muscle creams so ill suggest they try it.

no problem, take care

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Agreed.
Many people are harping on you as to how unimportant spices are.
Here's my thought, and I am very versed in the kitchen.
You take a pumpkin and cook it, you got a squash.
Take that same pumpkin and add spice, now you have a magical treat we call a pumpkin pie!!
Spice is indeed in my everyday survival kit.
I can transform some of the most mundane crap into magical treats.
Other items are needed, yeasts, baking soda/powder, corn starch, flours, sugars, honey, molasses, fats/lards, Etc.
But it is how we turn one thing into another.
I wrote a thread on comfort foods and their importance for our morale in a shtf situation.
I understand survival of the fittest and all, but our American pioneers did their share of inventing treats.
That is how you survive, you eat better than anyone else!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join