It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you find other conspiracy theorists? (In real life)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Kind of a weird question, but I'm just curious... since nearly all the people who share my sometimes extreme views and random conspiracy-related knowledge are online (here @ ATS)... where/how can I find people in the real world who share these views? I would really like to discuss theories and counter-culture topics with people face to face. Are there meetings/clubs/some forms of gatherings? It seems like discussing such things with people I encounter on a daily basis just goes over their head, either that or they give me that 'uhhh you're crazy' look, you know the one?
To put it bluntly... I REALLY wish I knew some real-life Lone Gunmen (X-files reference.)

How do you find people in the 'real world' who share your interests?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Replikant

Step 1: Locate your nearest university.
Step 2: Locate the pubs and coffee shops closest to the university (anything with free internet is prime)
Step 3: Frequent those pubs and coffee shops
Step 4: Become familiar with the other people that frequent these places, make acquaintance, talk, debate, and sure enough, you'll find one or two.

edit on 24-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Its pretty hard to find people in the real world who share the same interests. There are meetup groups that you can find online but I've always found them not to be so interesting because you usually end up talking about the same things at the pub that you talked about online.

Places that I personally usually have good conspiracy conversations at is head shops for the obvious reason lol and gaming stores (stores that sell games like D&D, WarHammer, Magic The Gathering, etc).

edit on 24-10-2011 by Fishticon84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Replikant

I don't find it that difficult to run into somebody who is into the same sort of conspiracy topics as myself. I notice that most people who are interested in UFO's, or Aliens don't like to admit it. In fact a couple of guys that I work with talk with me about these topics all the time, and one of them told me about this site. So maybe good friends aren't the best people to try and wrangle into a conversation, but work, a community college or university might a decent first place to look. The worst that could happen is they give you a "you're crazy" look, but its always worth a shot.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Seems like a large percent of the hippie crowd, libertarian crowd, and entheogen user crowd are conspiracy theorists, just look for some of them. A lot of different groups of people are big time believers in a certain type of conspiracy but not a lot of the others, like drug users are all into the drug war conspiracies, people that are really into healthy eating are into the pharmacy and monsanto ones, etc.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Thank you for the suggestions!
I think they are all viable reasons to not be so anti-social, hmm maybe I'll try and form a group at my college. There's always little flyers for random clubs/events.

Inspired..

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Autodidactic

In school I made friends with the stoners, computer geeks and random intellectuals. These people nowadays have had the same insight as I have when it comes to general conspiracies and open thinking. If you start off in one of these groups I think your going to cross road of conspiracies at some point. I got hit hardest since I'm all three in one heh.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Just pay attention to your surroundings and look for normal looking people with really shiny hats
But you would be surprised I know alot that are in community college.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Most religious streams that are somewhat off-beat and sect-like believe that the world outside their group is evil and out to get them.
I'm sure there's a church in your town full of ridiculous conspiracies and predictions.
Good luck!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I don't find them, I make them lol

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

LOL good idea!
I think my dad's been doing that. He's lent my 9/11 conspiracy dvd and 'Food Inc.' to a few of his co-workers now, and they've all been interested... gotta spread the word

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You probably have met several...just that you didn't know it, because nobody openly talks about it...

top topics

join