It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya's transitional leader declares liberation (and declares Shariah Law)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

I believe this title (which is the title of the original article, is quite misleading. They say they are declaring liberation, when in fact it seems an act of enslavement (at least for those who don't agree with it) but who can honestly say they didn't see this one coming? I figured it would happen, but I really didn't think it would be so quick. For those who don't know or quite understand what Shariah Law is or the implications surrounding it, here is a link to check out...(yes I realize that wikipedia is not one of the best sources, but in this case it is I suppose....en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a little from the article....

The transitional government leader Mustafa Abdul-Jalil set out a vision for the post-Gadhafi future with an Islamist tint, saying that Islamic Sharia law would be the "basic source" of legislation in the country and that existing laws that contradict the teachings of Islam would be nullified. In a gesture that showed his own piety, he urged Libyans not to express their joy by firing in the air, but rather to chant "Allahu Akbar," or God is Great. He then stepped aside and knelt to offer a brief prayer of thanks.

Abdul-Jalil said new banks would be set up to follow the Islamic banking system, which bans charging interest. For the time being, he said interest would be canceled from any personal loans already taken out less than 10,000 Libyan dinars (about $7,500). He also announced that all military personnel and civilians who have taken part in the fight against Gadhafi would be promoted to the rank above their existing one. He said a package of perks would later be announced for all fighters.

I have stated before that I thought it was all part of the plan for TPTB to get rid of rogue leaders such as Quadaffi, Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, but I am not sure if this implementation of Shariah law is part of thier plan. In my opinion, its a very restrictive law, and tantatmount to slavery, not to mention how it infringes on the rights of people (especially women). I have my spiritual views, and I think that everyone is entitled to theirs, and I certainly don't want anyone to tell me I can't worship a certain way.
What are your thoughts on this current situation? Do you think that its possible this could happen in your country some day? There are already some instances of Shariah Law being used in in America townhall.com...
edit on 23-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
my apologies, I see that this topic has already been posted. Please delete if deemed necessary.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
There are a few threads around!!

Think that is reflective of the Libyan decision, I just cant help think they have missed an opportunity by selecting a regressive foundation to their new country.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterBurns

I just cant help think they have missed an opportunity by selecting a regressive foundation to their new country.

Its the law that the east libya always wanted.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Events are unfolding quite rapidly in that region. Look at Egypt which is getting closer to Islamic rule with the passing of each day. Now Libya.

Today was a big vote in Tunisia, where the Arab Spring movement began. Keep your eyes peeled for the results tomorrow.

ISLAMIST INFLUENCE

Sunday's vote is for an assembly that will draft a new constitution to replace the one Ben Ali manipulated to entrench his power. It will also appoint an interim government and set elections for a new president and parliament.

Election officials say they will spend Sunday night counting the ballot papers, and are unlikely to release preliminary results until Monday.

Most forecasts are that Ennahda will not have enough seats for a majority in the assembly, forcing it to seek a coalition which will dilute its influence. Secularist parties will try to form a coalition to stop Ennahda forming a majority.

Ennahda has been at pains to assuage the concerns of secularists and Western powers. Yet observers say there is tension inside the party between Ghannouchi's moderate line and more vehement Islamists among the rank and file.

www.reuters.com...

We are watching History in the making and a transformation that I thought I would never see. The U.S. is helping.

new topics

top topics

join