It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Night Vision, Camcorders, LED flashlights, etc. Useless after EMP.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I somewhat wonder about the usefulness of camcorders, night vision, etc. Electronics in general...

I've seen a few threads lately discussing what folks would be using in a SHTF scenario, and given the threat of an EMP attack it is of course a very real concern.

If in fact an EMP attack were to occur, all electronics such Night Vision units, Camcorders, and most of the newer LED based flashlights even wouldn't be functional due to the electronics in them. (yes, the newer l.e.d based flashlights do have L.E.D driver boards that contain EMP sensitive components). Really seems like some folks are relying solely on these battery powered gadgets to get them through, but leaving out essentials like candles, matches, etc.

Just a passing thought, after seeing a few threads on here as well as SurvivalistBoards...

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
In a post EMP world, any type of optics like nvg, cctv would be a huge force multiplier, let alone flir. Storing these things in a faraday cage would obviously be essential.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Faraday Cage.
Faraday Cage with UPS battery backups.
Faraday Cage with UPS battery backups and a generator.

There's three options of varying complication for you.

If you're worried about EMP, build a Faraday Cage, and keep all your post-EMP goodies stored in happy goodness.

Problem solved.

edit on 23-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Indeed.

However, a lot of people don't even know what a Faraday Cage is, nor will those who actually do make/get one and put their sensitive equipment in it.

EMP is not of concern to me, as i've made necessary preparations so as to not need to rely on any electronic mayhem to get me by in post-apocalyptic times.
edit on 23-10-2011 by imtheweasel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by imtheweasel

Yup, but, isn't that their problem?
Build yourself an extra extra big Faraday Cage to store all sorts of extra extra goodies inside for later barter and trade in the post EMP world.

A simple metal box of any particular size you like, insulated on the inside, and grounded will work fine.
edit on 23-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
All the electronic gadgets are useless after a EMP whether in a cage or not because battery's only last so long. Unless you have a generator and when the gas runs out then your in the same boat.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Is there any evidence that shows an EMP could have lasting damage to anything? I have doubts so show me the goods. Please?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

See this Link for EMP info

It fries it. So to speak.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I realize in the cities it would be a big deal, but, a lot of people dont need electricity and know how to live without it.

Dont get me wrong, I know this would be devistating but we can get around it.

And yes I've read One second after

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

Um, have you been to a Discovery store, or any store that sells survival equipment where there's radios and flashlights and other neat-o things that you can crank up to give them power?
There's also this interesting thing called solar power, where a forward thinking enterprising mind would stash away options like solar power, or wind generators that will be then be unaffected and thus later be brought out to supply electricity and recharge of batteries.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Buy/find a dead microwave. Store your must have electrical goodies in it.
Take some grounding wire and attach it to a screw on the case, run the wire to a solid earth ground.

Problem solved.

M.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by imtheweasel

You could always tuck them under your tinfoil hat and hope for the best.

link   
can anybody give me the answer to this one? i looked on the wikilink but didn't find it...

how do you protect a car from emp? could it be as simple as disconnecting the battery? i'm not exactly brilliant with cars but in a shtf scenario, i want to be able to get my family to safety, .. the only way of doing that is using the car... so how do i protect it? anybody know? ta!

link   
An EMP only fries a device that has an electrical charge going through it at the time of the EMP discharge. If the battery is out of your camera then after the discharge, you can place the battery back in and it will work fine. If you have a hand cranking device, such as a Swiss-Tech (Which costs less than 20 US dollars at your local wally world) you can recharge batteries all day long, As long as they're rechargeable batteries.

Just a little knowledge can go a long way.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I honestly think it is going to be HILARIOUS if it does in fact come down to and EMP blast wiping out all major electronics.

Stop and think about all the people (teenagers especially) that are going to lose their minds without their iPad's, playstations, etc. All of the non outdoors educated people (read: City Folk), those whose lives are seemingly run daily by these devices. Sure they will be able to charge them up one way or another, but after the first few days when the batteries run dead... they will go bonkers. Some people just cannot seem to function in the real world without being on their blackberry, iPhone, etc all the time. It's sad really.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by imtheweasel

Thanks for the link Imtheweasel. I still have doubts but ill read it over before asking questions

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

reply to post by mrwupy

Umm, MrWupy: There are these tiny things called capacitors in most all electronics, that supply power to specific circuits whilst the device is "Off" to maintain your settings, contacts, etc.

Odds are, it will be rendered useless after an EMP blast. And besides, what good is a cellphone or other devices like it when the cellular networks, wifi networks, etc (always on provider based systems) are down and dead because they were ON during the time the EMP hit.

In other words, the people who rely on electronic devices of any kind to make it through their daily routine or obtain information (google it!) are gonna be royally screwed. Of course i think everyone already knows that lol

@Strafgod, you're welcome.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny

how do you protect a car from emp? could it be as simple as disconnecting the battery?

The problem here is you will get no warning when an EMP is about to go off. Yes, if you have a car made after 1996 it will be toast. All cars after that year have black boxes that read, record and control the electronics. Yes, disconnecting the battery could possibly save the car, but as I said earlier you have no warning of an impending EMP discharge. Surprise is their main advantage.

Your best bet is to make sure every member of your family has a bicycle.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
That's true as well. If and when an EMP attack occurs, there will most likely be no advanced warning. It's just gonna happen. I'm sure at first most people will simply think the power has gone out in their area, only to realize after some time that it's over a much much larger area...

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I've had debates with friends about this, who tend to think in the event of an EMP ( I suggested a massive solar event as the source, not an attack ) .. that we'd some how be fine, pick up where we left off after a year or two disruption and my view is that it would be considerably worse than that..

We have such a reliance on technology that we'd be in serious trouble if it were suddenly gone.. Electricity drives virtually everything, including the water that comes out of your faucet .. Many people lack basic survival skills such as how to collect, filter and store water.. to hunting and preparing food.. I'm less concerned about my light source than I am clean water and food..

There's an interesting show called The Colony that flirts with these ideas a bit, not so much an EMP since they scavenge electrical equipment and build generators and stuff.. but survival in an apocalyptic setting.. if you've not seen it, it's worth while.. it's a group of people left in city ruins for 50 days to fend for themselves with scenarios thrown at them such as competing marauders, disasters such as fire and various other things..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join