It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has your belief system ever been changed by a post you saw on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
As many of you can testify too, ATS is full of heated, lively debate. As many of you on ATS can also agree, these " heated debates " can turn quite nasty just as easily as they can be full of good points, or thoughtful arguments.

Has ever a post on ATS ever made you change your belief system and what was it about the post that changed your mind?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I have to say since I have been here nothing has changed. I have just became more into believing what I already did. That is one of the main reason why I like this forum and joined it. There are tons of people who believe the same things that I do. I'm sure one day I will come across something that will make me think differently about a certain subject but nothing yet !

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Whole belief system? No.

One post from opinions and emotions (irrelevant of what they claim) not derived from someone who's motivations are verifiable (no matter how beloved they are by the community), or whose information is highly unlikely to be perfectly untainted (no matter how many experts or how much raw data they use for their conclusions), is not a reasonable point to enact wholesale change.

Individual points? Yes.
Gives me other factors to consider? Yes.
They win the argument without being right? Absolutely. Happens all the time.

But if some of this was not stimulating, I'd not be here.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

There was this posting on the alien interview by a nurse that worked at area 51; her name was Matilda O'Donnell MacElroy. Some believes it is just a work of Scientologists but i find some credibility in what is in the interview. It has really changed my view on everyday life and our belief system.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I would not say it changed my belief system, but the first time I visited ATS, there was a thread about an imminent pandemic...

3 days later, the swine flu was announced to the world... I was all
WTF!? LOL

I lurked a while before joining. I learned many things since I've began following this site. Despite a slice of the info being worthless to some degree, if I may s

ATS has definitely good moments. Its the soap opera of my life!

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have to admit that a lot of my veiws have changed, I was open to many different ideas concerning conspiracies, now I understand that around 80% of them are pure fluff and crap and the real conspiracies hardly even get a mention here on ATS anymore, and if they do they get thrown off the front page by more fluff.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by oneness86

Actually that took place in Roswell,NM at the Roswell Army Airbase and like you it had a profound affect on my way of seeing the world.

Link

Alien Interview
edit on 10/23/2011 by dezertdog because: add link

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Made me change my belief system--no
Made me do some more digging on a subject--yes

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Mostly I get confirmation on certain things from both skeptics and believers alike.

I think having a 'neutral viewpoint' is the best approach your answers will simply show up to confirm your views on certain things.

Balance is very much necessary in our search for the ultimate truth.

Peace S & F

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Boy howdy.

To an extent I blush at considering.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
When I first read this thread and the OP, I thought to myself, "No way. It would take more than just mere words to alter my belief system in any way."

But then that would just not be true. ATS has expanded my belief system, thus changing it in some way. It has not altered the way I generally view things, i.e. religion, politics, science ets., but it has most assuredly added to what I already believed.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Define "belief system"... Certain things on ATS, be it information posted, or the discussions that ensued, have certainly changed my feelings regarding specific issues from time to time.. belief system as a whole, probably not so much

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bacci0909

Before ATS I was a die-hard utilitarian materialist.

Largely due to the conversations this message board facilitated, I've mutated into something altogether else. And I consider that Divine Providence, where the very idea of D.P. was a laughable affront just one year ago.

Thanks to ATS I am now a utilitarian Deist with a taste for woo.

So, yeah. Good call. Maybe in answering this thread it's valuable to define your belief system and then go into how it may have been altered.
edit on 23-10-2011 by mistermonculous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I used to be christian... and yes, it made me open my eyes and realize that religions are false and made only for controlling masses.
That made me agnostic. Now I have my own belief system,and I choose ideas from different religions, that seems real to me. But never truly follow one religion.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Targeting questions , and gaining truisms for statements , gives a self perceived ability to command , from the illusion of control in one's environment . A power trip ..we all want to make of the world what we want to make of it .
We want others to know what we know. Or think the way we want them to . Maybe we will all gain information transparency in the end , and / or real clarity for ourselves . Because there are right ways . What has been possible with this amazing tool the net, so far , we would never have known .

And we shouldnt forget what justice actually is ... there is nothing more to disagree with , change or learn when the scales say equal . Both your scales , and mine . This is fair . Make judges of them all in the end , not strange solicitors .
We will hope this is where the new generation gain self empowerment . Actual , not imagined . Beleif systems grounded by truth fact and evidence alone will only be strengthened .

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
One specific thing I can think of is the Pentagon. I used to be a firm believer that a missile actually struck the Pentagon, but this thread changed my mind on that.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The thread that has had the biggest impact on me is this one www.abovetopsecret.com... . It did take a few weeks to come to terms with it all and still struggling with it. In trying to understand why this world is so messed up it does provide a lot of answers that fit to dame well to be ignored.

new topics

top topics

join