It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul wants to phase out federal student loans.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
UPDATE:
Ron Paul is Not ‘Ending’ Student Loans
Source: www.ronpaul2012.com...

This whole Paul will end student loans concept is a total farce!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is a good thing. Paul is verifying that this Earth shouldn't be about education. You all call yourselves conspiracy theorists from your radical left wing government grant accepting reeducation centers, err liberal arts colleges. You can accomplish a lot without having to constantly go to the government to have your back. Dolo.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Their are some more stable programs in other countries in which education is pennies or cost nothing. I wish we had that kind of a system. I would still be a laborer though I like work that could keep me fit.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
irony that our clever strategy for helping more kids go to college is helping more kids borrow money.

i agree with rp on killing this bloated inefficient cost increasing debt increasing system. its tacticaly and strategicaly unsound.

though i do believe it is in our best interest to help make college more socialy and economicaly viable. its just common sense.

we need to stop solving our problems with bureaucies/free money. goal make college more viable. possible solution, help based on grades/attendance/performance/grade on college aptitude test. proof of comitment to complete college and after graduating, service for your country for x years ,tho we need to include a non military version. kinda like saying you want to be a doctor, cool, we can help a lil or a lot if we help alot which will determine how long you work as an extremely underpaid doctor either for the military or the country say helping poor kids or social programs for disabled etc. you would earn that help and in theory go on to stunning financial sucess and pay more taxes.

yah we turn some americans into infrastructure. investments that better society. we cant help everybody. we take the brightest and best of those that apply. and we realise there is no perfect, there is no fair. investments take time and risk we go with our best we help as many as we can(budget anyone?)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The problem here is not the loans but in the poor percentage of students who pay the loans back. Currently only 51% of student loans are being paid back. So the 49% of you who are not paying back your student loans the taxpayer is picking up the tab for you. SO PAY BACK YOUR STUDENT LOANS

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
hi I'm ron.

if elected I will fire thousands of people, put grandma on the street, and end hope for thousands of kids to get an education

wtf ?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by AzureSky

I'm not sure about that. The more I hear about Ron Paul, the more he strikes me as old money that wants to keep others down.

you don't know Paul

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ron Paul says a lot of great things about stopping wars and all that, some of his policies are good. But he wants to cut a lot of things which help the lower/middle class and cut or eliminate a lot of taxes which will only benefit corporations and wall street (eliminate capital gains/dividends taxes and cut corporate taxes, stop regulations so wallstreet/corporations can do whatever they want etc). But people here, who supposedly hate big corporations/wallstreet/rich people don't want to hear the reality and worship him anyway cause he says cool things like kill the fed etc.

Unfortunately, the good things he says he wants to do will probably never actually get done because congress will just vote no on it if he's even really sincere about wanting them, meanwhile all the things that he wants to do that help the rich/wallstreet/corporations in the interest of "free market" would probably get green lit through. So our country might end up even worse and more slaves to the rich.

But criticizing ron paul on ATS is suicide lol.
edit on 24-10-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Obviously you haven't put much thought on this. The fact that Federal Loans could be taken out of the table will most probably lower the prices of degrees, tuition, etc. Companies would do this, or something similar because they would not want to lose possible students which are customers to them.

I think this move would actually be good. Remember that if people can't afford college or Universities, companies will lose a lot of money, hence they would make degrees cheaper, or just come up with other student loans.

Also, it is a great idea that Americans could op-out from paying social security. Heck if you don't want to pay it, and want to keep that money, why shouldn't you be able to?

There should also only be one flat tax, instead of taxing us for everything...

Under Obama and progressives/democrats/liberals we will be taxed for CO2, and who knows what else these people will come up with to tax us...

edit on 24-10-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
hi I'm ron.

if elected I will fire thousands of people, put grandma on the street, and end hope for thousands of kids to get an education

wtf ?
'

In other words:

Hi, I'm Ron.

If elected millions of people will cease to pay for the salaries of thousands, grandma will be properly taken care of by the state she lives in and not completely ignored by the federal government, and thousands of kids will get an education by teachers and educators, not bureaucrats.

/TOA

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's this: Ron Paul is Not 'Ending' Student Loans

There are many headlines out there now stemming from his Meet the Press interview yesterday claiming that Ron Paul wants to end student loans. Well no, in fact, though he abolishes the Department of Education along with four other federal departments, the student loan part is taken out and handled elsewhere. Everyone recognizes we have major problems with Social Security and Medicare, and yet when anyone attempts to address these problems, they are immediately accused of “ending,” “slashing” or “getting rid of” such programs. Ron Paul is not suggesting this for anyone currently reliant on these programs or for those who will be in the near future. In fact, Paul’s opt-out for Social Security in his budget plan is age 25—not exactly imminent doom for the program or those on it.

The same is true of student loans. To recognize that we are bankrupt and we must have drastic change in this country is not to say that certain programs Americans have come to rely on will be gotten rid of overnight. Paul is certainly saying no such thing.

But the costs must be addressed—and not simply what the government spends, but the massive debt incurred by those in this country who just want a college education. To be sure, the countless Americans who are now slaves to education-related debt can tell you there are substantial problems with our current system.

Ron Paul simply wants to fix them.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Fortunately, I am up on Ron Paul's agenda's and did not need to read that many posts.

We need to let the cream rise to the top. Simply put, let those who are more apt to excel... attend college in advanced degree's and let those that can excel in businesses of trades go their way.

We do not need a mountain of collegiates with no one left to clean the streets, fix the houses, the plumping and electricity. As a matter of fact, those in the trades business do better than most college graduates (4 year degree's). That is a fact. No college bills to pay for 10 to 20 years!

Too many people going to college and not enough vacancies for employment. It's kinda crazy that firms like Hertz will only hire 4 year degree professionals to do a job an 18 year old can do.

Let those with money, scholarships and sharp minds go forward. We are not all made out to be scientists.

Have you ever met a person with a four year degree? Not much difference than someone that just graduated high school.

I've hired both. Yes, the one with a degree can spell and conjugate a sentence sometimes...maybe use Excel, Word and Powerpoint with some degree of proficiency. Yet the ones who mean more money to me are the one's breaking their back in the shop.

Kudo's to those that have higher minds to take care of my health needs and help me in my business's and so forth (prior to me retiring). My high school education afforded me the opportunity to hire the accountant with a Masters Degree for my business. Who makes more? Wasn't the accountant.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The reason student tuition is so high is for the very fact that the government gives out these student loans. With guaranteed money from the government, why wouldn't the universities hike up tuition for maximum profit. If the loans were not so easy to get, people wouldn't be able to afford high tuition, attendance at school would drop and they would have to lower tuition prices.

But let me guess, to heck with all that, students tuition should be totally paid by the taxpayer.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Mastahunta, you can find 0% information out there to collaborate your remarks.

NEWS FLASH SIR! ALL the EXISTING loans are ALREADY handled by private lending institutions. They are lending under cover of U.S. Government "Special Situation" lending rules, that allow lenders to engage practices even MORE ruthless than the IRS does now.

Have student debt? There is only ONE way to discharge it, if a personal financial disaster, or catastrophic health issues overtakes you.

DIE.

You can't discharge it under bankruptcy laws... they can take your Social Security, disability insurance, 401k or any other private pension or assets to pay off the student debt. The only way to get it forgiven is to die.

In July of 2011, the total amount of student debt yet unpaid exceeded credit cards for the first time.

How? Cheap, readily available credit for student loans. Whenever the cost of credit doesn't reflect the risk of default for the person taking the loan, the result is a sudden flood of ill thought loan dollars chasing the available goods, and with a guarantee on the loan, banks and universities have worked together to maximize the "sale" of the product.

There is already plenty of situations where universities have been getting kickbanks from lenders for selling student loan products to students.

The job opportunities for college graduates are NOT commensurate with their ability to repay the loans they took out to pay for that same education.

This is the next mega bubble... and the "legalized slavery" it has created has made a young indentured servant class, that will start out their lives 10's of thousands of dollars in debt... and many of them will never ever in their lifetimes get out from under it.

If students REALLY knew what a s**ta** deal student loans were, they would riot. Sadly, this kind of financial folly is supported by parents and a culture that can't figure out how their economy could have been destroyed by a mere few Trillion dollars of profligate spending.

I swear there should be a math test, before people should be allowed to vote, or hold office.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
“I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of Constitutional power.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The most effectual means of preventing [the perversion of power into tyranny are] to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts which history exhibits, that possessed thereby of the experience of other ages and countries, they may be enabled to know ambition under all its shapes, and prompt to exert their natural powers to defeat its purposes." --Thomas Jefferson

"And say, finally, whether peace is best preserved by giving energy to the government or information to the people. This last is the most certain and the most legitimate engine of government. Educate and inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them. And it requires no very high degree of education to convince them of this. They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson

"I think by far the most important bill in our whole code is that for the diffusion of knowledge among the people. No other sure foundation can be devised, for the preservation of freedom and happiness...Preach, my dear Sir, a crusade against ignorance; establish & improve the law for educating the common people. Let our countrymen know that the people alone can protect us against these evils [tyranny, oppression, etc.] and that the tax which will be paid for this purpose is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Whereas it appeareth that however certain forms of government are better calculated than others to protect individuals in the free exercise of their natural rights, and are at the same time themselves better guarded against degeneracy, yet experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny; and it is believed that the most effectual means of preventing this would be, to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts, which history exhibiteth, that, possessed thereby of the experience of other ages and countries, they may be enabled to know ambition under all its shapes, and prompt to exert their natural powers to defeat its purposes; And whereas it is generally true that that people will be happiest whose laws are best, and are best administered, and that laws will be wisely formed, and honestly administered, in proportion as those who form and administer them are wise and honest; whence it becomes expedient for promoting the publick happiness that those persons, whom nature hath endowed with genius and virtue, should be rendered by liberal education worthy to receive, and able to guard the sacred deposit of the rights and liberties of their fellow citizens, and that they should be called to that charge without regard to wealth, birth or other accidental condition or circumstance; but the indigence of the greater number disabling them from so educating, at their own expence, those of their children whom nature hath fitly formed and disposed to become useful instruments for the public, it is better that such should be sought for and educated at the common expense of all, than that the happiness of all should be confined to the weak or wicked" -- Thomas Jefferson

"Bill for the More General Diffusion of Knowledge" - formation of public education + limited government
Very hard to find online (interesting):
candst.tripod.com...

Progress comes with change:

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors." -- Thomas Jefferson

I believe the problem in the US is the lack of affordable education. I believe in Thomas Jefferson and his vision.

Jeffersonian democracy:
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 24-10-2011 by CantSay because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2011 by CantSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatone

i can be as short sighted as i want. you try messing with my loans, im not voteing for you no matter what.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
So we are going to abandon an entire generation of poor people because it costs too much? This is absurd and I will not be voting for Ron Paul.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
My understanding of the student loan program is that BANKS loan the money, which is then GUARANTEED by the Federal government. In fact, when I went to college, Key Bank was my lender. I later defaulted on the loans, and they went back to the Fed. I then made my loan payments directly to the Dept of Education. So ANYONE saying this is a move to 'Help big business' has their information screwed up.

The other thing is that YES, since the Guaranteed Student Loan program began, colleges & universities began expanding to meet the increases in student population...so anyone saying that disposing of this program won't effect tuition is seriously deluded. It would probably have the collateral effect of ENDING the frivolous spending on such things as "a fleet of cherry pickers" for the football coaches, as someone mentioned, and end days the legions of "professional students" populating our colleges.

What taxpayers fail to realize, is how costly this GSL program has become, as the wave of defaults has GROWN EXPONENTIALLY since the beginning of this last recession. And it will only get worse...

This may be a bit of an experiment on RP's part, but it will probably be score for RP in one way or another if he were to accomplish getting it done. Who would win...? Well, we'll have to wait and see...
edit on 25-10-2011 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dasman888

You Sir, hit the nail on the head! Everyone should read this post!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by zero1020
So we are going to abandon an entire generation of poor people because it costs too much? This is absurd and I will not be voting for Ron Paul.

^^^^This post is the epitome of ignorance.

Take away guaranteed federal student loans and watch the cost of college education DROP.
edit on 25-10-2011 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join