It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if TIME really did become the new currency?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
There is a new movie out on the 1st of november about when the ageing gene gets turned off! and time is the new currency, when your time runs out, you die, if you work you earn more time, therefore extending your life, no more could you get sickingly rich people, no more could you get rich people ripping off the poor, if you want time, you have to work for it, you can't inherit time but you could have the national time lottery, you can win time, if you're lucky.

For example, if you are an aircraft pilot, you might get 7 days for one weeks work, but a posh sports car might cost you a 3 years worth of your time, so if you dont work and just spent your time, you will die at 77 instead of 80

If this became reality what do you think it would be like and do you think it would be better than our current system?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Time already IS your only currency.

Today we trade our TIME now for pieces of paper of no value. This is already happening. The only difference is Now you never regain the Time spent.

edit on 23-10-2011 by brokedown because: grammer correction

edit on 23-10-2011 by brokedown because: spelling correction

edit on 23-10-2011 by brokedown because: grammer correction

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It's technically software driven, therefore one person finds a work a round and they become immortal.

It couldnt happen, the life handlers would become infinitely corrupt and would be eradicated by a legion of healthy, strong, competent people who are facing death and have nothing to lose.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Most people are paid hourly are they not? Is that not currency of time?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Its an interesting concept and I am looking forward to the movie. Would it mean that if an accident rendered you unable to work that it would make even a minor disability literally fatal?
Knowing humans we would find a way to exploit the phenomena to the detriment of the weaker in society.

As it stands at the moment, time is infinitely more valuable than currency. Only when time runs short do we realise it.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It is being used in some places, obviously not as a form of life extension though

Ithica hours

1 Ithica hours is roughly equivalent to 10 USD

*add* What is the name of the movie??
edit on 23-10-2011 by KingAtlas because: edit to add

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This wole thing abiut the ageing gene confuses me a little. I though gravity had a part to play in your skin sagging and becoming aged? Also your heart and other muscles would still wear out as normal?

The movie does sound good though and I will look out for it. Do you have its name?

Thanks

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well, they say time is money.

But if money were time, how could you cash in?

However many hours, days or years you earn, they won’t add an attosecond to your life.

In fact, they subtract from it the hours, days and years you toiled to earn them.

Money can never be time. Money is the opposite of time. Money is what they give you to keep you from crying when they take your time away.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the wealthy would buy off politicians and take advantage of the system at everyone else's expense

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The more time you spend learning and applying that learning by working for others the more cash you get. the more cash you get the more time you can go without working and stilll have GOOD time. isnt that how it works now?

And when you try to sell people things they do not need you take away their time and money. For example a case of 24 bottles of water costs 2-3$ in my area. A coffee from a luxury coffee house cost 4-8$ Taking more time,taking more money. For something you do not need.

And they die when they run out of time? this sounds like a step back from how far humans have advanced. When you run out of money you can still live and survive. The idea of making people die when they run out of something that is now free (time) is an idea to make people easier to slave handle. Creating the illusion you need money to buy time.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I remember seeing the trailer a while back and Im looking forward to checking it out. Like now, there was a huge distinction between the rich and the poor. What interests me is the criminal element in all this. Would time be available on the black market? Trade a few unsavory acts for a few days or weeks. Scary thought. I like the idea of different representations of currency, that way there is no single entity in control.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
humanity would die off pretty soon if that was the case

2nd

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Actually, the same is true today. The more money you have, generally, the longer you live.

IF they found a way to shut off aging or slow it down a great deal then I'm sure it would cost money. The other concern is that overpopulation would happen faster if people did not die.

Time has always been our currency, we just have never had the opportunity to live for extended periods of time well beyond the 10's of years we're used to. Finity is the head banker.

My opinion is that we will slow down aging with some kind of nanobot technology. These nanogens or nanobots or nanodots will circulate through our bloodstream and clean and repair cells and tissue. Of course, none of it will be free. At first, it will be very expensive.

The irony is that poor people have plenty of access to food. But the great majority of that food is unhealthy. The strangest statistic is that poor people tend to be more obese than rich people.

Valuing an education and being persistent are more important than valuing hard labor. Machines are increasingly replacing hard labor workers. With artificial intelligence, this trend will continue. We have to constantly improve ourselves to maintain significance and respect in this world.

All of these changes will not make us couch potatoes. They will change us FUNDAMENTALLY. People oftne look at the past 200 years and wonder where all of the productivity gains went? Machines do so much work, they say. Software now does things much better than people ever did. Productivity has increased several orders! Where is it!!?? It went towards further progress. It was invested in science and knowledge. These things eventually slingshot back towards us and, one day, we will probably not even look the same. We might not even be recognizable.

There will never be a day in humanity's future when we can sit and do nothing. Why? First of all, we have to compete with everything. Second of all, we have a desire to grow and learn. These prohibit us from living a life entirely of leisure. It's impossible. We will always be running after the next greatest challenge. Always chasing after the unknown and justifying our existence.

If I could slow down aging even knowing that only people who make at least $200,000/year are going to be able to afford the treatments, I would. I might not live very long, but at least I could die knowing that it's just me and not my whole generation. Just me. That's, somehow, relieving.
edit on 23-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by baburak

Wrong.

Humanity would change. Not without trouble, of course. Extinct? No. Disaster? Maybe.

I only know the following:
1) I want people to live longer because I don't like seeing so many people die all the time
2) I am not god and therefore cannot say whether it's good or bad
3) Until I see otherwise, there is NO after-life; our only chance to live forever is NOW

So sue me.

What if only billionaires could afford it? Oh well. The rest of us will just have to deal with it.
edit on 23-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
For example, if you are an aircraft pilot, you might get 7 days for one weeks work, but a posh sports car might cost you a 3 years worth of your time, so if you dont work and just spent your time, you will die at 77 instead of 80

Its spelled Porsche... How in the world could you have misspelled that.

If you can "buy" more time. The world is going to become overpopulated pretty quickly. But then again maybe this could weed out all the unproductive and stupid portions of the earth's population. If you're not smart or talented enough, you can't buy more time hence you die sooner. Humm sounds good

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0

Originally posted by Itop1

Its spelled Porsche... How in the world could you have misspelled that.

If you can "buy" more time. The world is going to become overpopulated pretty quickly. But then again maybe this could weed out all the unproductive and stupid portions of the earth's population. If you're not smart or talented enough, you can't buy more time hence you die sooner. Humm sounds good

Lol porsche? i don't like them, i meant to spell posh, i would rather have a ferarri

edit on 24-10-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join