It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW!? Quantum Levitation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Hi ATS.

found this on youtube and was pretty intrigued.

With the theme "Knowledge that Works: From Theory to Practice," the 2011 ASTC Annual Conference featured more than 100 sessions, which highlighted how science centers and museums are putting new ideas to practical use to serve their communities. The conference was hosted by the Maryland Science Center in Baltimore, October 15-18.

i don't know much about the subject matter so i thought i would bring this to the attention of ATS and some of the more 'bright-minded' people around here.

what do you think?

from what i've read this is the Meisner Effect.

The Meissner effect is the expulsion of a magnetic field from a superconductor during its transition to the superconducting state. The German physicists Walther Meissner and Robert Ochsenfeld discovered the phenomenon in 1933 by measuring the magnetic field distribution outside superconducting tin and lead samples.[1] The samples, in the presence of an applied magnetic field, were cooled below what is called their superconducting transition temperature. Below the transition temperature the samples canceled nearly all magnetic fields inside. They detected this effect only indirectly; because the magnetic flux is conserved by a superconductor, when the interior field decreased the exterior field increased. The experiment demonstrated for the first time that superconductors were more than just perfect conductors and provided a uniquely defining property of the superconducting state.

thoughts?

edit on 23-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The content in your post must've floated away?

Nevermind. It's back now.

edit on 10/23/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstroBuzz
The content in your post must've floated away?

quantum mechanics made it dissapear and it re-appeared suddenly

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
That's pretty cool. I want one of those at home to amaze and mystify my friends.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
It'd be daft to imagine that we aren't taking advantage of this capability and developing it into some kind of technology such as a craft that could travel in the air and into space......ohh wait a minute....

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Posted in this very forum a few days ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Heres a very nice video showing the effect:

edit on 23-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
How hard is it to understand that its just magnetism?

Nothing quantum here... geez learn your physics ...

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR
How hard is it to understand that its just magnetism?

Nothing quantum here... geez learn your physics ...

This isnt JUST magnetism :

The Meissner effect is the expulsion of a magnetic field from a superconductor during its transition to the superconducting state. The German physicists Walther Meissner and Robert Ochsenfeld discovered the phenomenon in 1933 by measuring the magnetic field distribution outside superconducting tin and lead samples. The samples, in the presence of an applied magnetic field, were cooled below what is called their superconducting transition temperature. Below the transition temperature the samples canceled nearly all magnetic fields inside. They detected this effect only indirectly; because the magnetic flux is conserved by a superconductor, when the interior field decreased the exterior field increased. The experiment demonstrated for the first time that superconductors were more than just perfect conductors and provided a uniquely defining property of the superconducting state.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
A thread exists already on this topic.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Oops didn´t mean to take away from those threads!

MODS please close this thread as there have been other threads about the same video.

thanks.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

As requested.

Thread closed

new topics

top topics

join