It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police break up "Occupy Sydney" protest in raid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Police break up "Occupy Sydney" protest in raid

www.reuters.com

Police broke up a Sydney protest camp inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement in an early morning raid on Sunday, making dozens of arrests, police and protesters said.

The 'Occupy Sydney' protest against corporate greed and economic inequality in the Martin Place business district had been going on for a week, with a small group sleeping out in the square despite seizure of camping equipment, setting up solar panels to charge mobile phones.

The raid by about 100 officers came two days after police in Melbourne broke up a parallel protest there in violent scenes. New South Wales sta
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Don't know if this has been posted yet but it needs attention. Police violently disbanded the protests in Melbourne and now they have in Sydney also. OWS is gaining momentum in Australia and its about time.

We have the right to protest and we will exercise this right until the appropriate reforms are addressed and we see some change. It seems that in Australia they are taking these protests very seriously and not allowing them to gain momentum. I think it has to do with the Queens upcoming visit personally, although this is absolutely unacceptable. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTEST and with the way things have been going it is ABOUT TIME

www.reuters.com

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
pretty simple, when they think they have it under control, just head back down and make them look like the dogs they are again. keep protesting peacefully and keep the cameras rolling...

S n F

edit on 23-10-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

This song comes to mind, it is how I feel encapsulated....

I'm pondering bringing down a boom box with rage against the machine also....**** YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME
edit on 23-10-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

I am certain there is some COINTELPRO going on with YLP and the Occupy movement here in Australia (possibly elsewhere but Im not keeping score). The divide and conquer mentality is so indoctrinated in some. My respect to all the protesters who are of true intent, and my wrath for those trying to undermine change.

We should expect protests in Perth to be marred by violence caused by the actions of a few, I encourage everyone involved to do their up-most to avoid a violent outcome.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

People should definitely try to refrain from any violence. Although I am so overcome with anger at the thought of police thugs violently removing people who refuse to take it on the chin, I also know that Gandhi had it right, we can't stoop to their level.

We can expect to be violently removed, although it doesn't mean we need to put up with it, and I REFUSE to plead guilty, because that would imply that what we are doing is wrong, and it is not.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

What I have seen happen in the past is that any charges usually are dropped once they get to court so to not give you the ability to fight it. The courts dont have time to process a few hundred "disorderly conduct" charges, and once the protest is over the police have no need to continue the prosecution. Tho not always the case with some more "vocal" protesters.

I hope experienced activists assist first time protesters with how to deal with a hostile police force, IE: paper and cloth only banners (one recalls the police claiming the poles used to hold up placards were being used as weapons, s11?) no face-masks (police already have legislation in place to arrest someone concealing their identity, WA anyway.) and of course a good dose of Gandhi dosnt hurt too (pun intended)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Really good points you have bought up. I don't see how the police can conceal their identities and we cannot, that seems very backward to me. I am currently in the market for one of those anonymous masks and they will have to rip it from my face if they want to remove it.

You seem pretty switched on and you are really valuable, thanks heaps for the great response
edit on 23-10-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

Don't know if this has been posted yet but it needs attention. Police violently disbanded the protests in Melbourne and now they have in Sydney also. OWS is gaining momentum in Australia and its about time.

We have the right to protest and we will exercise this right until the appropriate reforms are addressed and we see some change. It seems that in Australia they are taking these protests very seriously and not allowing them to gain momentum. I think it has to do with the Queens upcoming visit personally, although this is absolutely unacceptable. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTEST and with the way things have been going it is ABOUT TIME

www.reuters.com

A bit lite mate, i already posted earlier.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

you can at least link your thread if you intend to end mine....jesus

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

you can at least link your thread if you intend to end mine....jesus

it doesn't worry me mate. I don't intend to end your thread but I'll link it if you want me to:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

All good man, just don't dig drive by thread assassinations when the issue is this important....know what I mean? Cheers for linking it up.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

No worries mate. These protests seem they have the potential to erupt into violence. The cops obviously don't like the Occupy protests much.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The police cant legally conceal their ID, the problem in practice is that there is nobody to enforce the rules on the enforcer. Asking for an officers ID is your right under caution/arrest, but in really it just gets the officers angry; one may be incline to video the un-identifiable officers, beginners mistake--the police will confiscate said video (and the recording equipment, even if its your phone) under the claim that its "evidence"

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

setting up solar panels to charge mobile phones

they are protesting corporate greed and ecconomic inequality , but cannot bear to be parted from thier mobile phones .... aww bless

PS - does any one on ATS know how to repiar irony meters ??? mine just went BANG

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Im sorry, but what does a solar panel have to do with the protests? Nobodies trying to shut down all the corporations, people are apparently sick of being ripped off. You cant tell the same hasnt been happening in the USA. you know, for example: people using corporate toilets etc in NY at the likes of McDonalds and co, unless they are just crappn on the streets or somthin. All have flaws, deal with it.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

the solar panels have nothing to do with it , read my post again - its the PHONES , you know the phones servided by the " evil " teleco corperations - and the iphones manufactured by alledged slave labour in china

yeah thouse phones

makes a mockery of protesting corporate greed and ecconomic inequality

if you cannot even give up your phone for the duration of the protest

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Australia is the land of the lucky, with its huge potential resources, and to hear that the Gillard gov had turn to tyranny and deny citizens of their rights is shocking!

Best the citizens dont let Gillard and gang turn the land into an unlucky nation, if the people's voices are not allowed to be heard,or be threatened in any form, worse if violence is resortted against unarmed peaceful citizens.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Rubbish.

How are you expected to properly coordinate ANYTHING without a mobile phone these days, stop trying to find reasons why they're hypocrites, it's really obvious and pathetic

new topics

top topics

join