It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MotoGP rider in fatal accident - Race abandoned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Marco Simoncelli has been involved in a horrific accident during today's MotoGP race in Sepang. During the 2nd lap of the race, Marco Simoncelli came off his bike and literally had his helmet ripped off as another two bikes slammed into him, mainly making contact with his head. In a bad week for motorsport, he was rushed to hospital in a critical condition, where he would be later pronounced dead. (see below) He lay prone helmetless until medical intervention arrived. Many riders shaken up and disturbed by the accident.
YouTube footage

edit on 23-10-2011 by OzTruth because: he passed away - RIP

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

THE Malaysian MotoGP was halted four minutes after the race began today when Honda rider Marco Simoncelli fell and was hit by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi. The 24-year-old Simoncelli had his helmet knocked off in the accident, which occurred when the Italian lowsided from his bike at Turn 11. His bike veered across the track and straight into the path of Edwards and Rossi. The race was immediately red-flagged. Simoncelli, who was motionless on the track after the impact, had been fourth at the end of lap one. Edwards also fell but escaped serious injury, while Rossi, on a Ducati, was able to return to the pits. Simoncelli's condition was not immediately known.

Source

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OzTruth

Explanation: I am sorry to inform everybody that he died!

Marco Simoncelli dies after crash in Sepang

October 23, 2011

Marco Simoncelli has died after a horrific crash at the Malaysian MotoGP in Sepang, says BBC.

The Malaysian MotoGP was halted four minutes after the race began Sunday when Honda rider Simoncelli fell and was hit by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi.

The 24-year-old Simoncelli had his helmet knocked off in the accident, which occurred when the Italian lowsided from his bike at Turn 11.

His bike veered across the track and straight into the path of Edwards and Rossi. The race was immediately red-flagged.

Simoncelli, who was motionless on the track after the impact, had been fourth at the end of lap one.

Edwards also fell but escaped serious injury, while Rossi, on a Ducati, was able to return to the pits.

AFP

Marco Simoncelli [wiki]

Marco Simoncelli (born 20 January 1987 - 23 October 2011) was an Italian Grand Prix motorcycle road racer.

Personal Disclosure: May he R.I.P!

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for the update. He was a talented rider who died doing what he loved. R.I.P.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OzTruth

I do not quite understand this.
In the link you attached, he sits up (even takes a knee) in the end of the video, and he still has got the helmet on.
edit on 23-10-2011 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

:45 second mark. You're looking at the wrong guy.

edit on 23-10-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
i think they should end the season out of repsect seeming as stoner already won
this is horrible
im an avid motogp watcher and this is a very sad thing..
rip

edit on 23-10-2011 by ShortMemory because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

I can not understand how I could miss that. Thanks for pointing it out.

R.I.P. Marco

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ShortMemory

I think they should too, no use going ahead with the season now, I reckon Rossi might retire also after this.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
R.I.P Marco
A great talent lost , one of the most exiting riders I've seen in MOTO GP for years .
Thoughts go out to his family and friends .

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Truly a sad day, an amazing racer with buckets of potential.
He will be remembered fondly.

Thoughts go out to his family.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Marco Simoncelli Tribute

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
such a tragic loss ;((

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Just found a video where the "rescuers" drop his body, that's a scandal in itself:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HedyLamarr

OMG that is terrible, excellent find. I hope he didn't die from them dropping him. I actually can't believe they didn't have the ambulance on track, they had to jump the fence. What's up with that?? Something is seriously wrong with the medical setup at Asian tracks and that is known throughout all motorsport. RIP Marco

edit on 26-10-2011 by OzTruth because: Added my thoughts on video

top topics

join