It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Scientific abuse" by Bush and co.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
www.ems.org...

The report serves to update and reinforce a February UCS report alleging mishandling of science by the administration. Corroborated with in-depth interviews and internal government documents, UCS's updated report describes, in detail:

- disregard of scientific study, across several agencies, regarding the environmental impacts of mountaintop removal mining;

- censorship and distortion of scientific analysis, and manipulation of the scientific process, across several issues and agencies in regard to the Endangered Species Act;

- distortion of scientific knowledge in decisions about emergency contraception;

- new evidence about the use of political litmus tests for scientific advisory panel appointees.

Jeeze, you only have to look at the stuff which isn't so important to everyone (like letting two normal people of the same sex marry for example) and which isn't on the news to get a picture of how this administration deals with things. Distortion, censorship, disregard, are the words used, do these people care about anything? If they lie so much about science and the eneviroment, just think about the spin they put on things which are more important to them, like oil and war for example. Why would anyone want these guys in power?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Why isn't this a scandel. Why does nobody know/care about this admins lies. I get so angry.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I agree Earthtone. It's definetely a scandal and Bush and his neocons are definetely lying. I'm just as angry as you are. This administration cares very little about our enviroment and the pollution the U.S. is facing. The only thing they care about is "Terrorism." That's all. IMO, they're misleading the publice to make them think they actually care when they really don't. I don't like an Administration that focuses on only foreign policies and very little on domestic policies. Whatever happened to us? Our health and our economy?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Well America is in serious debt, Bush is not helping terrorism becuase the threat is growing all thw time it seems. Plus Iraq is a mess. All of this is becuase of unjustified action. They cannot tell the truth about anything, this is a good example. The earth is not is good shape.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Scientists have been roaring and howling about this for several years, actually. The problem is twofold:

a) very few pay attention to or trust scientists (we have no great Speaker To The Masses, like Carl Sagan.)
b) Bush can play the "God is on my side" and "Making businesses free of government control" cards and the Religious Right and the Conservatives fall into his camp.

(sigh) If Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods or Roseanne or Michael Moore came out and denounced this stuff, people would start ranting and yelling about it. However, the sound of a bunch of scientists yelling is about as loud as the sound of one hand clapping.

(double sigh)

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
However, the sound of a bunch of scientists yelling is about as loud as the sound of one hand clapping.
(double sigh)

Agreed....And, look where that is taking us....

$44m Amount the Bush-Cheney 2000 campaign and the Republican National Committee received in contributions from the fossil fuel, chemical, timber, and mining industries.

200 Number of regulation rollbacks downgrading or weakening environmental laws in Bush's first three years in office.

31 Number of Bush administration appointees who are alumni of the energy industry (includes four cabinet secretaries, the six most powerful White House officials, and more than 20 other high-level appointees).

50 Approximate number of policy changes and regulation rollbacks injurious to the environment that have been announced by the Bush administration on Fridays after 5pm, a time that makes it all but impossible for news organizations to relay the information to the widest possible audience.

50 Percentage decline in Environmental Protection Agency enforcement actions against polluters under Bush's watch.

34 Percentage decline in criminal penalties for environmental crimes since Bush took office.

50 Percentage decline in civil penalties for environmental crimes since Bush took office.

$6.1m Amount the EPA historically valued each human life when conducting economic analyses of proposed regulations.

$3.7m Amount the EPA valued each human life when conducting analyses of proposed regulations during the Bush administration.

0 Number of times Bush mentioned global warming, clean air, clean water, pollution or environment in his 2004 State of the Union speech. His father was the last president to go through an entire State of the Union address without mentioning the environment.

1 Number of paragraphs devoted to global warming in the EPA's 600-page "Draft Report on the Environment" presented in 2003.

68 Number of days after taking office that Bush decided Not to ratify the Kyoto Protocol, the international treaty to reduce greenhouse gases by roughly 5.2 per cent below 1990 levels by 2012. The United States was to cut its level by 7 per cent.

1 The rank of the United States worldwide in terms of greenhouse gas emissions.

25 Percentage of overall worldwide carbon dioxide emissions the United States is responsible for.

53 Number of days after taking office that Bush reneged on his campaign promise to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.

14 Percentage carbon dioxide emissions will increase over the next 10 years under Bush's own global-warming plan (an increase of 30 per cent above their 1990 levels).

408 Number of species that could be extinct by 2050 if the global-warming trend continues.

5 Number of years the Bush administration said in 2003 that global warming must be further studied before substantive action could be taken.

62 Number of members of Cheney's 63-person Energy Task Force with ties to corporate energy interests.

0 Number of environmentalists asked to attend Cheney's Energy Task Force meetings.

6 Number of months before 11 September that Cheney's Energy Task Force investigated Iraq's oil reserves.

2 Percentage of the world's population that is British.

2 Percentage of the world's oil used by Britain.

5 Percentage of the world's population that is American.

25 Percentage of the world's oil used by America.

63 Percentage of oil the United States imported in 2003, a record high.

24,000 Estimated number of premature deaths that will occur under Bush's Clear Skies initiative.

300 Number of Clean Water Act violations by the mountaintop-mining industry in 2003.

750,000 Tons of toxic waste the US military, the world's biggest polluter, generates around the world each Year.

$3.8bn Amount in the Superfund trust fund for toxic site clean-ups in 1995, the Year "polluter pays" fees expired.

$0m Amount of uncommitted dollars in the Superfund trust fund for toxic site clean-ups in 2003.

270 Estimated number of court decisions citing federal Negligence in endangered-species protection that remained unheeded during the first year of the Bush administration.

100 Percentage of those decisions that Bush then decided to allow the government to ignore indefinitely.

68.4 Average Number of species added to the Endangered and Threatened Species list each year between 1991 and 2000.

0 Number of endangered species voluntarily added by the Bush administration since taking office.

50 Percentage of screened workers at Ground Zero who now suffer from long-term health problems, almost half of whom don't have health insurance.

78 Percentage of workers at Ground Zero who now suffer from lung ailments.

88 Percentage of workers at Ground Zero who Now suffer from ear, nose, or throat problems.

22 Asbestos levels at Ground Zero were 22 times higher than the levels in Libby, Montana, where the W R Grace mine produced one of the worst Superfund disasters in US history.

Sad....very sad.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by loam]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I am still waiting for a real explanation as to WHY all these people worship dead humans.

They are dead.

They have been dead for hundreds and thousands of years.

If you can't handle reality then please for your own god's sake end your life so that those of us who do think and funtion inside reality can enjoy our lives instead of dealing with the constant flood of crap that flows from your santimonious mouths and your misguided actions.

Aside from that ... science has already proven that the brains of religious people are smaller than the normal brain.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
Aside from that ... science has already proven that the brains of religious people are smaller than the normal brain.

Gota link on that

50 Percentage decline in Environmental Protection Agency enforcement actions against polluters under Bush's watch.

34 Percentage decline in criminal penalties for environmental crimes since Bush took office.

50 Percentage decline in civil penalties for environmental crimes since Bush took office.

Loam , nice article there. This lying administration needs to be attacked about it's enviromental record. Remember, with these people money comes first not our Earth. They plunder the very object which sustains us and keeps us alive.

It's funny how someone so apparantly 'fundamental' about their religion is destroying his Lord holliest creation.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Earthtone the fact that Bush has effectivly Bi*chslapped the environmental lobby is one of the things I like best about him. Now before you go off on a rant I am an outdoorsman. I hunt, I fish, I hike, I camp, etc. In fact I spend a hell of lot more time outdoors than the average "environmentalist" But the fact is the environmental lobby has gotten too powerful considering the complete nutjobs who run it. If the people at the top of the enviromental groups like greenpeace etc were rational thinking individuals it wouldn't be a problem, but thier not. They are the same idiots who oppose animal testing for medicines, as if the life of a rat or a chimp was worth the same as my life. The fact is 99% or better of ALL the species that have ever existed are extinct. The planet itself kills more species than humans ever have or ever will. cattle produce more methane and carbon dioxide emissions than all the cars in the world combined. A single volcanic eruption produces more of said gasses than all the human inventions throughout history combined. Do we as a species have an impact on the environment? Yes? Do all species have an impact on the environment? Yes. But I'll tell you this I personally have had more of a positive effect on the environment than all the ed begley's combined. Would drilling in the alaskan oil reserve have a negative impact on the environment? perhaps, but it sure as hell wouldn't have the apocalyptic effect the environuts say it would.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
earthtone

Thanks. See the full list here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
GEORGE WEASEL BUSH was born a bred on lies. It is all he knows and understands. Getting special [read cheatting] privilege advantages to get him into the National Guard in Texas over the top of 1500 applicants is just 'how things are done'. For him, if he truly believes in his religion and isn't lying about that [and this as far as im concerned is up for grabs] I would think truth would be an important thing to him. But then when has religion ever been about informing the masses of the truth. Most organized religions are about special truths, insights, information that ONLY the religious fathers [leaders] have [read openning for fraud] and how the masses instead of using decency and fairness in the conduct of their lives, should instead flock each Sunday morning to some guy [gal] professing to have some special telephone line to God and how God meant for the bible to be interpreted.

It seems to me if there is truly an omnipotent God he/she/it is reflected a million times through each prism and part of the Universe, each and every day.

Science is about the quest for truth. To comprehend, know, understand. It is to humble yourself before that which is infinite beyond all comprehension and say "I don't know" , "I would like to understand". It is to come with the innocence of a child before all existence, with curiosity, enthusiasm and excitement. With a hungry mind ravenous to be sated. It is like examining the icy mountain drops of melting snow that eventually become the raging torrent of a mighty river flowing into a planetary ocean. Science is sacred. Science is Holy. Science is unimaginable beauty. To defile science, the search for truth, in the name of a few more dead presidents is sacrilege.

Science may not always be glitzy, science may not always be showy, but science DOES move mountains, and given time will balance the stars and planets in the heavens, perhaps even fold and spawn new Universes. And science unlike most religions, is without bounds. Disgard science at your peril.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Thank you for you interesting thoughts Slank. Science is important, but it is clear that this government are proficient in the art of war and destruction, not science.

new topics

top topics

join