It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite kids movies?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
E.T.

Hocus Pocus

Batteries Not Included.

Little Monsters

Goonies

Elf

First Kid

Gremlins

Big

Those were off the top of my head.... here's a link to a great movie site...
80's movies, but you said they have most of the current stuff.

Good luck and happy watching.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
WHAT NOBODY MENTIONS

Labyrinth

I loved this movie growing up, and still do

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
How about Small Soldiers?

When missile technology is used to enhance toy action figures, the toys soon begin to take their battle programming too seriously.

Matilda

Story of a wonderful little girl, who happens to be a genius, and her wonderful teacher vs. the worst parents ever and the worst school principal imaginable.

The Mighty Ducks

A lawyer has to coach a hockey team of kids who really don't know how to play.

Paulie

Life from a parrot's point of view.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

The scientist father of two teenage boys accidentally shrinks his and two other neighborhood teens to the size of insects. Now the teens must fight diminutive dangers as the father searches for them.

The Land Before Time

Five orphan dinosaurs travel the ruins of their world, while grieving the loss of their families and banding together to face the odds of survival.

An American Tail

While emigrating to the United States, a young Russian mouse gets separated from his family and must relocate them while trying to survive in a new country.

I love all of these, I hope they help

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
forgot to add the Shreck movies..

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
THE SECRET OF KELLS

One of the most beautiful and unique movies I've ever seen. The art is incredible and I'm saying that having only watched the somewhat poor quality transfer they have on Netflix Instant. It's about a boy named Brendan who lives in the Abbey of Kells. The monks are working to build a giant wall to fend of Vikings. To the abbey comes Brother Aidan who is working on a masterfully illuminated bible. Brendan wants to help Aidan, but is forbidden. Still, he helps hims, venturing outside the abbey walls into the forests that surround it where he meets a spirit named Aisling.

It sounds like something that'd make a poor kids movie, but it's not boring and any religion involved is just a set-piece. The movie is really about beautiful imagery. The plot's not bad, but not really fulfilling in any way. There's a part that some kids might find scary, but I think most will enjoy it.

Also seconding the recommendation of Miyazaki movies, I've only seen two: Ponyo and Spirited Away and both were good. Spirited Away is pretty strange and could be scary for your 3-year-old, but they might enjoy all the weird creatures. My nephew is 3 and he loved Ponyo.

My nephew also really liked Despicable Me. I haven't seen a lot of the movie, but it looked pretty good.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I've always loved Anastasia and The Swan Princess. Both GREAT movies! Not Disney either

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
These are series, but I still enjoyed them as a kid:

Gummi Bears
Mysterious Cities of Gold

Movies, you can try:
Ella Enchanted (book was better than the movie)
Maybe some of the Star Trek stuff - the neighbour's kid has been going through these on loop forever

Alladin
Secrets of Nihm

How about nature stuff like David Attenborough's stuff?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

oh great list! just wanted to comment on goonies though

I will 3rd the goonies nomination! Its the first movie I ever saw (not at home) and the only movie I ever saw at a drive in - I loved it!

reply to post by The_Truth_Seeker

oh yes!! Drop Dead Fred! even my teenagers loved that - I used to watch it back to back with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (over and over - cause I was in the hospital at the time and thats all they were showing)
edit on 23-10-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by restlessinMT
My kiddos love the Dark Crystal. Thought it may be a little scary for them but 2 years ago they were 3 and 5 and loved it. I let them watch the making of it on the DVD also explaining how they were all puppets. They have watched many many times of course my kids also love O Brother Where Art Thou too! Great music and one of my favorites.

The Dark Crystal kicks so much ass. First saw that in the 80s and still love it now. Hope next year's sequel/prequel is just as good.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You can't go wrong with The Princess Bride. Just a good movie. Now, with kids that young they like music and dancing and the like. My kids LOVED show tunes movies back then. My oldest girls fav. movie is still Singing in the Rain. There are many others. Ask your mother about them.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
oh yes!! Drop Dead Fred! even my teenagers loved that - I used to watch it back to back with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (over and over - cause I was in the hospital at the time and thats all they were showing)

I still have Drop Dead Fred on VHS from when I was a kid.
And how'd I forget about Ninja Turtles?!

Also forgot about Ghostbusters.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Iron Giant

Wallace and Gromit

Didn't really watch disney as a kid I was obsessed with wayne's world but the black cauldron is pretty good.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Never Ending Story Series......

Goonies

Labrynth........

And last..........THUNDER, THUNDER, THUNDERCATS!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Forgot about Stand by Me.. Radio Flyer, Searching for Bobby Fischer. These are more for slightly older kids though

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The movie with the acid rain, I believe, was called "All in a Summer Day".

I think all of mine have been suggested here already, but:

Dark Crystal (Jim Henson at his best)
Labyrinth (Jim Henson's masterpiece)
NeverEnding Story (first one and second one only, the rest were crap)
E.T. (classic)
Princess Bride (murdered by Pirates is good...and the best swordfight in a movie, EVER)
Goonies (another Spielberg classic)
Willy Wonka (the one with Gene Wilder, not creeptastic Depp)
Matilda (highly overlooked)
Gremlins (though watch the ages...it has a horror motif too)
Explorers (great film, until they actually meet the aliens)
Big (they'll see being older isn't all it's cracked up to be)
Short Circuit (Just kind of neat)
Ghostbusters (both)
Star Wars (all)

Old Disney movies are good, when you can catch them out.

Also, don't discount the cartoons of old, whether Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, or some of the best 80's cartoons like Robotech, ThunderCats, Transformers, GI Joe, etc. (many of these they've remade, but I'm talking about the originals)

Older boys may like some of the older 80's TV shows, like Airwolf, A-Team, Knight Rider, Riptide, or some of the sci-fi ones like Manimal, Mr. Merlin (good luck finding this one), Powers of Matthew Starr, Automan, etc.

edit on 3-4-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've recently come across a copy of my favorite animated movie of all times. I used to have the videotape but we watched it so many times that it just died. (We had the Spanish version)

It's a french movie, from 1979, about the Baron of Munchausen, and it's just marvelous. It was dubbed in English so you might be able to buy a copy online.

Les fabuleuses aventures du légendaire Baron de Munchausen

(The video is in Spanish, sorry about that, but it's my favorite song from the movie)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Flight of the Navigator

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I am not partial to animated movies.

Some of the older kids movies from the 70s and 80s seem better than the stuff they come out with now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join