It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost ring sights on a shotgun?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Since most home defense scenarios are going to be really short range...probably under 20 yards... I think the most important thing would be to get a set up with sights you you personally like. Target beads are used to hit moving birds at 40+ yard so they will def suffice at shorter ranges and probably are the quickest for acquisition. I personally enjoy my fiber optic dots on my shotgun but its all preference. In response to the guy who recommended an eotech...If thats something you want to drop the cash on by all means but I dont think the cost would be justified for such short range nor would the system even really be that helpful

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Eotech is kinda heavy. A few questions for you. Will said shotgun be pistol grip or stocked? what size of barrel? Also what kind of load will you use? Wall type in home being defended?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have ghost ring sights on my 12 gauge Law Enforcement, 7 shot, Rem. 870 pump, with a very large white center dot post front dot; which you can see very well in the dark.

The ghost rings are very fast, because the eye tends to center the front post in the center of the ghost ring.

If you are not using #4 shot, I suggest that you use: Federal Tactical Low Recoil, 12 gauge, 9 pellet, 00 Buck, Flight Control Wads that shoot a super tight Pattern. Install a side saddle, loaded with Federal non-rifled slug loads that you can buy at Cheaper Than Dirt.

Buy a cushioned cheek pad to soften felt recoil, from Brownells for $65.00. Buy a pair of electronic ear muffs , because the shotgun blast sounds very loud in your bedroom. Use a mounted LED flashlight to blind and identify your target. Always have a cellphone linked to 911, if possible, so they can record the whole event.

If you have a pump - Learn to pump during recoil, with your weight mainly on the balls of your feet, knees slightly bent like a football player. If you do it right, recoil will not hurt you, and will not give you a bruise on your shoulder either.

Suggested training dvd: Shotgun Mastery, by Matt Burket, from Brownells, Midway or Dillon Free Press . Matt shoots his 12 gauge Benelli, semi auto, with full power slugs, almost as fast as a machinegun with no muzzle rise.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 31-10-2011 by Erno86 because: added a couple of words

edit on 31-10-2011 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 31-10-2011 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 31-10-2011 by Erno86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
P.S.- I would suggest that you use a short barreled shotgun, because an aggressor will find it easier to grab a long barreled shotgun in a tactical situation.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

IDK what kind of building the OP lives in or if they have other people in the house etc.... but I have to disagree about loading a side saddle up with slugs. First of all if you have to go through that many rounds to get to a side saddle things probably arent gunna turn out pretty....but never hurts to have extra ammo. Slugs will defiantly put an end to a criminals day really quickly but the recoil and possible consequences of them are not worth it. I know there are varying reports on how far a slug will penetrate and continue to travel after exiting the human body, but that aside one missed shot with a family member in another room or in an apt building and you're facing some serious injuries/death and a lawsuit/court date in addition to the one you will already likely have for self defense depending on the state. Even buckshot goes through layers of sheetrock. Simply not worth it. In most apt buildings you can get away with bird shot and the bigger stuff I dont really consider bird shot ( 4's 2's BB stuff like that). The distance will be so short your going to create massive trauma. Many SWAT teams use bird shot in apt buildings You can even opt for buckshot if you so choose but stay away from slugs .

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by onfire49

I agree.... but I was just trying to make a suggestion, in a scenaro where your out of the house, and the bad guy is still shooting at you from 50 to 100 yards away.

I've should have made my suggestion clearer.

Thanks,

Erno86

edit on 3-11-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have the KNOX recoil reducing stock on my 870 tactical, it really reduces the recoil about 60 - 70%. I bought that online for around 130 which included a Knox fore end as well. The 870 tactical has the ghost ring sight factory installed and really works for stationary targets. If you do any clay pigeon targets it doesn't work so well, for me anyway.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

Yea I was gunna make a side comment on that....that the only people who would really benefit from slugs are those with large tracts of land. However in this day and age always got be concerned with legal problems of shooting at people outside your house....especially if you live in IL, CA, or NY

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
the sights mentioned in this thread all support a "Sight Acquire Fire"
Home defense Shotgun is a point and shoot where a Laser system would be best

But who am I to say!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join