It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full size of the Moai Statues! (Easter Island)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
So, I guess the whole question about how ancient peoples moved these bohemoth statues in place just got about 3x harder to answer!

This information is certainly new to me (most of us) - how long ago were these 'extended bases' found to exist?

Somebody needs to update Wiki

edit on 10/24/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by StumpDrummer
reply to post by objectivist

I wonder how much was not sunken!! over time natural buildup of sediments will occur somewhere around 3 inches every 100 yrs or so ive heard
but that is a very cool pice maybe they will dig up the rest so we can see the rest of the carvings and decorations on them

You're absolutely right, these statues were never buried that deeply and the rate of sediment accumulation on Easter island is much faster than 3 inches per hundred years. Dust from central Asia along with blowout from volcanic eruptions adds soil at a rate of closer to 3 feet per hundred years. What we are looking at may be no more than 500 years of accumulated soil build-up.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Easter Island's latitude is close to that of Caldera, Chile, and it lies 3,510 km (2,180 mi) west of continental Chile at its nearest point (between Lota and Lebu).

Source.

So you have an Island, named Rapa Nui, almost 2,200 miles from the nearest coast. They build statues. WHY? Mostly all the statues face toward the sea. WHY?

Did the settlers of that remote island build the tech to create the statues on their own, or maybe there was a vast sea-faring society back in the day? Who was population zero?

Why would you build such statues if you lived on a remote island isolated from everyone? What is the meaning?

Too many questions. Fascinating subject. SnF.

My Simple Guess is!!!

OK What do you Put in a Corn Field to Keep Away Crows! ?
What do you put in your Windows to keep pestsy Birds Away ! ?

IS It to Keep Intruders coming to the Island ! OR

Could it be to keep them ON !? as some of the Statues have their backs to the Ocean
Inspiration to Keep them or Themselves On ! ? as it is claimed around 700ad they cam there to the island
the Maori/Rapanui

Wow look at those Giants I better Keep Away ! Says the Primitive Islanders near By !

Well something like this
Planet of the Apes !

Ape Scarecrows to Keep Primitive Humans (slaves) Away

Cornelius: [reading from the sacred scrolls of the apes]

"Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death."

en.wikiquote.org...

(BBC)

Each totem was different to immortalise a particular chief, halfway between the living and the gods. With their backs to the sea they could inspire and protect the Islanders.

There, carvings in the stones from just after the catastrophe show a birdman.

The Mystery of Easter Island - programme summary
www.bbc.co.uk...

Speaking of the Bird Man on Easter Island

Bird Man > ?
is it a Metaphor of

A Man in his Flying Machine ?

or this a Bird Man Painting on Easter Island ! that looks oddly Familiar Alien?
bird man ceremony cave paintings

blog.travelpod.com...

Anzu, Zu, or Imdugud: Sumerian Bird-Man

Pre-Columbian bird-man

Bird-men (and women).== Around the World !
www.le-champignon.net...

edit on 24-10-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Originally posted by StumpDrummer
reply to post by objectivist

You're absolutely right, these statues were never buried that deeply and the rate of sediment accumulation on Easter island is much faster than 3 inches per hundred years. Dust from central Asia along with blowout from volcanic eruptions adds soil at a rate of closer to 3 feet per hundred years. What we are looking at may be no more than 500 years of accumulated soil build-up.

That is true. Why would they take the time to put in details such as fingers around the front of the abdomen if they intended them to be hidden?

Could it be that Easter Island was so near another volcano that it got a large ash dump? How far is Easter Island from Krakatoa?

After posting this, I looked at Easter Island on Google Earth and see that it has its own volcano.
edit on 10/24/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz

Rapa Nui was part of Polynesia and had adherents of the BirdMan Cult. The name of the deity was MakeMake

www.windows2universe.org...

I think it is ironic that MakeMake was the god of fertility and yet Easter Island itself is not considered fertile. There are very few trees.

Could it be these giant statues were light guides, maybe on the tops of the ones who had hats contained signal fires?
edit on 10/24/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by bottleslingguy

then the "giants" must have had proportionately very small penises to be that tall (50'? 60'?) but still sexually compatible with human women

And how does a human female gestate and give birth to a giant baby, around the size of a small cow?

The penis/vagina thing is true too. The only other way to have produced these 'nephilim' hybrids would have been in-vitro / test tube / genetic manipulation. Which brings us full circle back to ET (of whatever species) being the originators of our current human species...whatever their reasons were.

I'm with ya on that

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I agree that the level to which they are buried must have taken 1000s of years, so many thing were built so well and extremely large 1000s of years ago.... what are we doing wrong in the 21 century that we can't make a car run more than 25-30 years tops?

Pop quiz: How many moving parts that wear and tear over time does a solid stone statue have?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
After they consumed all of the trees, the society was in horrible trouble.
Nothing to make boats from to get outa there.
Perhaps they put the red hats on the statues in hope of someone/something noticing them, with hopes that they could be rescued from such a barren place.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
Perhaps they put the red hats on the statues in hope of someone/something noticing them, with hopes that they could be rescued from such a barren place.

I honestly don't think anyone smart enough to build these statues would also at the same time, be dumb enough to think that putting a hat on it would help others rescue them, considering there are thousands of miles of ocean in every direction.

It seems totally unrealistic. There had to be other reasons, perhaps simple ones.
But 'sending a S.O.S' doesn't seem to be a viable solution.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I honestly don't think anyone smart enough to build these statues would also at the same time, be dumb enough to think that putting a hat on it would help others rescue them, considering there are thousands of miles of ocean in every direction.

It seems totally unrealistic. There had to be other reasons, perhaps simple ones.

It could be also that because Polynesia warrior society was so far spread out and the ancient warriors made long voyages on boats, the statues could have been warnings.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
made of concrete like all other worlds monoliths heres a link thanx -
nowarchy.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
remember the movie the "village"
thats still goes on pushin nonsence to scare people from leavin the box

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I also don't think a society on an island (that got there by boat, (or spaceship) would be dumb enough not to have left enough trees to build other boats. There are no docks on Rapa Nui. Explain that. There's no evidence they were a seafaring people. Nothing about seafaring skills, just a bunch of statues. Uhm, unless you want to decipher the rapa-nui script, which has never been deciphered. Perhaps it tells of all their seafaring ways.

I don't go with the tophat SOS theory either. But how did they get there, stay isolated, and develop their own writing system with no external reference? Meanstwhile, carving these several ton statues for what purpose?

A perplexing puzzle indeed.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It says they put the hats on all the statues but this is the first time I've seen it. (on a post on the first page)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I went there a few years ago with a 360°pano photographer friend of mine...
This place is so magical (mana they say over there).

Greg did some very cool job and shot nearly all the places and moais that you can see wether in google earth here :
www.360cities.net...

or there at 360cities :

www.360cities.net...
maybe you could have a look...

IMHO Easter Islands (RapaNui); is one of the place to go before dying.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
This thread must've passed me by the first time because I only noticed it after the recent bump. I'm still shellshocked from that first image that I had to read the past 8 pages to look for the inevitable debunking. I was kinda hoping for it really! I'd never heard about the Easter Island statues being any more than what we're used to seeing - I thought these pics were photoshopped.

I'm amazed. That's all I can say.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
WOW! Much needed after spending an hour reading through a thread insinuating that the wealthy do not "deserve" their wealth. Someday, I hope to turn my little bit of wealth, into enough savings to take my family to see sites such as these. Amazing photographs and an excellent thread. Thanks to all who have contributed links, as well as photos. Simply amazing that people (allegedly
) were capable of such wonders with such limited means. Thanks again! Breathtaking, extraordinary photographs!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It's amazing to think that not only have these moai statues been around for a long time, but they will continue to be here for years and years. I wonder what kind of knowledge and perspectives our descendants will have of them thousands of years from now. Imagine all the things just one moai statue will end up seeing and has already seen. Who knows what types of beings will stare back at the enigmatic gaze of the great moai...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If we're going to say that the accelerated sediment accumulation is responsible for the 'burying', then those looking elsewhere for 'nearby' sources of volcanic ash fallout are right in doing so, because...

"Rano Kau is a 324 0 tall extinct volcano that forms the southwestern headland of Easter Island, a Chilean island in the Pacific Ocean; it was formed of basaltic lava flows in the Pleistocene with its youngest rocks dated at between 150,000 and 210,000 years ago"

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
i thank you for the pics of the statues and excavation and i agree that more work needs to be done so that we can learn more about the past

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join