It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Sniffing Dogs at Local High School

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I found out yesterday that the High School my son goes to has adopted a policy of having the police bring the dogs into the classrooms to sniff out any drugs (pot) that may be present. The kids are ordered to leave all their stuff (backpacks, purses, etc), and then leave the room while the cops and dogs do their thing.

So, on one hand, I agree that school is no place for drugs, this bothers me for two reasons.

First, as far as I know, we don't all give up our rights when we step on a campus. The parents have not been notified about this officially, and some of the kids are terrified by this action. Sure, it's entirely possible that they're only terrified if they have something to hide. Doesn't matter.

Second, most thinking people can agree that the war on drugs is a dismal failure that has accomplished nothing except to create criminals, create distrust, and prevent the logical expansion of cannibis as a useful substance medically.

I don't believe it's the job of the public school system to engage in the useless war on drugs. If you happen to live in Western Washington state, this is happening in the Puyallup School District. Your children may be getting searched illegally without your knowledge.

So ATS, what do you think about this?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
does the school have a policy of random drug searches?

if it does you should be aware of it. searching thru bags, phones, and wallets, is too far but it's their school. if you dont like it, send your kid somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Drug Sniffing Dogs at Local High School

If the kids are doing it,what the hell ,let the K9's have a line.Just wondering how they roll

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bablock

Second, most thinking people can agree that the war on drugs is a dismal failure that has accomplished nothing except to create criminals, create distrust, and prevent the logical expansion of cannibis as a useful substance medically.

That pretty much is the heart of the matter. These laws create crime. Some illegal substances have also shown to fight cancers better than big pharma's constant failures.

I think it's time to home educate your kids folks. And what the propaganda doesn't tell you is that educating your kids about drugs and their impact is far more effective than criminalizing them.... no one goes to school and forces drugs on these kids, one has to be willing, and afford such things. The problem then lies at home with the parents... if there is a drug problem.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bablock

I remember going through this as a youngin' in school. I never liked the unsettling feeling I got, because with no witnesses the security guards and the police could plant anything on anyone. I was further unsettled when I discovered my car had been opened with a "slim jim" (those destroy power door locks most of the time). They can and will also search your vehicle if it's on school grounds. I was angry because I had to crawl in my car through the passenger side for the rest of the year, and they denied all knowledge of it happening, despite the fact that I found my busted door slammed ajar with scratches all over the window sill. Someone needs to stand up for our students because they're taking this crap too far.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with drugs. It has everything to do with conditioning.

I was just going to respond in another thread asking about being proud to be an American. I ended up not posting the message becasue I just don't have much nice to say about America anymore, this is one example why.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

They can and will also search your vehicle if it's on school grounds.

I really don't think that's true. I certainly don't think they can do this unless perhaps someone claims you have a weapon/drugs in he vehicle but that can happen anywhere.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Drugs have no place in our society, much less in public schools.

I'm all for it.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bablock

They cannot do it without School Board request or approval.

If you feel so vehemently against such, Go To The Next School Board Meeting ... Put it on The Agenda.

State your reasoning and perhaps even have a few dozen other 'concerned parents' standing right there with or behind you.

Not saying it will make a mere tinker's damn bit of difference, since there was likely a school board vote / decision for said program to be employed in the first place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't agree with it either, but 'in the name of our children's safety' ... I'm willing to cough up a few freedoms and whatnot. I mean, it's only 'temporary' - right!?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
does the school have a policy of random drug searches?

if it does you should be aware of it. searching thru bags, phones, and wallets, is too far but it's their school. if you dont like it, send your kid somewhere else.

I thought public schools belonged to the public.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It is all part of the conditoning of the people into obedient drones ahtt will never defy " authority". cops scaring little kids with dogs, invading classrooms, is deemed Ok instead of an outrage only because of the ridiculous lies of the drug warriors and others who profit from prohibition and draconian social control mechanisms.

You are presumed guilty; the cops assume that someone likely has drugs..OR they want the kids to always be ready to accept any intrusion and search bu cops as beyond their control to avoid. I guarantee you that no cop speaking to kids ever advised them of their rights..they have a vested interest in an uneducated and compliant citizenry raising no objections to their intrusions and interrogations.

Cops today have an " us or them " mentality, with us as the civilians and them as the military/police authority, and they of course see themselves as above scrutiny and beyond reproach, immune from any constarints and brutal by nature. kids should have lectures in all schools at young ages by attorneys that advise them of their rights and encourage them to practice them. Imagine how wonderful it would be if every time some cop stopped an educated young person and found out that they were not going to be a victim of police abuse and harrassment voluntarily.

Nazi's loved using dog's to torment and harrass the people they regarded as criminal...then it was Jew's and now it is drug users..just an excuse to crack down on civil liberties and intimidate the people. Let's face it, any honest person would have to admit that cops would love to have absolute power. They resent oversight and Judge Dredd is their hero: Warrants? Who needs 'em? Probable cause? Ehh, legal nonsense. Citizens? Potential criminals or actual criminals, no difference really. treat em all the same..like crap...hahaha !! Thats a cop.

One day this nation is going to choose sides, and if cops are smart they will change their tune and act as if they want to be on our side when things get crazy...if not, then they will reap the rewards of their oppression and brutality. The Constitution is not something to be used as toilet paper at the police station.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I don't think its just the kids who do/have drugs that will be upset, would you really want to leave your backpack alone in a room full of nosy ass cops? What is to stop them from straight up opening and looking through every back pack (besides time)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

I'm all for it.

Ok, for the slow people in the room- This is not about drugs, this is about conditioning our children to believe that the government can violate their rights at will. If you support these actions, you are against the Constitution and Bill of Rights. That puts you in the same league as our politicians, banksters, police and every other organization that conspires to destroy our way of life. You are a traitor.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bablock

there's plenty of alternatives to public schools. just google for some. i went to an alternative school and got higher grades and got me interested in science. best thing that ever happened to me.

public schools are so crappy now a days, they have to search for drugs.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It comes back the point that I made earlier. No one can prove anything and no one can watch a vehicle all day. They also do not allow car alarms in the parking lot. After that happened I ignored that rule after the broken door lock. You should be able to park a vehicle at a school without an alarm, but you can't. It's very unsettling to students that have had things like this happen to them. I've seen students strip searched over nothing but rumors and hearsay. It's sad.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
For me this is a tough one. I understand that for others the issue is black and white, but I am torn between both extremes. Since campuses are owned by the state, it would seem as if they may have the right to institute policies like this. However, it does seem to infringe upon the freedoms, although in a relatively small way, of those who are not bringing drugs to school.

But saying that this is okay, imo at least, is the same as saying it's okay for the police to search your vehicle because it is on a state-owned highway. I suppose we pay for the schools and highways though, so are they really state-owned? The thinking is the same in both instances, unless I am missing something in my logic.

So where do we draw the line? I do not agree with the people who claim that if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't worry about it. That is NOT the point at all, and I hope everyone is intelligent enough to see that. Being a proud member of LEAP, law enforcement against prohibition, I completely agree that the war on drugs is a dismal failure that is costing taxpayers billions upon billions of dollars per year, with nothing to show for it.

For all the drugs that get taken of the street, the same amounts are still coming in every single day. When these drug lords can produce a product for a penny, which is a simplified example, and sell that penny product for $1000, that is a force that is impossible to stop.

I don't care how much money you throw at the problem, the government will NEVER be able to match the money invested by the cartels south of the border. Our country has been raised under the impression that drugs are evil and bad. To an extent they are, but the state has no right to tell people what they can and cannot put in their bodies.

But there is still the issue of this being done in a public school. And despite my strong feelings, as I stated above, I cannot decide whether this is 100% right or not. My gut feeling is that it is okay, simply because it is a school and there are innocent little kids there, but my intellectual side is saying it is wrong. So I don't know. What does everyone else think?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What happens if a kid gets caught with drugs at this school, what are the punishments? Are they going to criminalize t kids before they have even left school?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bablock

Un-Constitutional.
FOURTH AMENDMENT [U.S. Constitution]

'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.'

If this was attempted at my son's school, I would sue them out of existence. Are you going to do something about this? Right now, at this time, I am into it with my son's school over two issues. One, they display a Military Martial Law flag in all classrooms and in the auditorium. Two, the school is a "Public School," taking funding (taxpayer dollars) from the State of Ohio, and from the Federal Government, but then the school is also a Corporation, in the business of making a profitable income. My contention is the school cannot be both. I had to threaten to bring suit for the flag issue, the public/corporation issue will soon have it's day in court.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

I'm all for it.

so you're all for removing all drugs?

drug (drg) n. 1. a. A substance used in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of a disease or as a component of a medication. b. Such a substance as recognized or defined by the U.S. Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
2. A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.
3. Obsolete A chemical or dye.

that would mean.

- no alcohol (and i'm pretty sure you like a beer once in a while)
- no cigarettes
- no coca cola
- no coffee
- no illegal things like coke etc.

you would outlaw a whole lot of things.

basiccaly every substance that alters your brain/mood/perception

ontopic:

i find this disgusting.
if my kid went to that school i'd search every willing parent i could find and:
- write (angry) letters
- try to raise awareness about this usage
- try going public via tv

this is taking it SEVERAL steps to far as they've crossed the line a long, long time ago.
edit on 22-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
For me this is a tough one. I understand that for others the issue is black and white, but I am torn between both extremes. Since campuses are owned by the state, it would seem as if they may have the right to institute policies like this. However, it does seem to infringe upon the freedoms, although in a relatively small way, of those who are not bringing drugs to school.

The "state" is the taxpayer. If anything, your argument is backwards, the constitution should always apply on public property. It is on private property where the constitution does not necessarily apply. For example, if you are in my home and start talking smack, I have every right to remove you while you are screaming about me violating your right to free speech.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join