It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a Russia-US rail tunnel be built?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Could a Russia-US rail tunnel be built?

www.bbc.co.uk

Russian officials have backed the idea of a rail tunnel linking Russia and the US.

It would run under the Bering Strait for 105km (65 miles)...

The tunnel itself has been estimated to cost $10-12bn and to take 10-15 years to build.

But an additional 4,000km (2,485 miles) of new track would be needed to link it to Russia's rail network, plus another 2,000km (1,243 miles) to connect to existing services on the US side.
(visit the link for the full news article, including video)

edit on 22/10/11 by pause4thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It looks like this harebrained scheme is sufficiently whacky to have gained support from TPTB. Clearly someone was sitting with a map on their lap, whiskey in hand, exhaled from a Havana cigar and bellowed, "Gentlemen, I think I have it!"

Pulling back from that historic moment we find ourselves asking: Why? On the one hand it could all be for the good of mankind. On the other it could be the NWO globalist agenda.

Either way one thing's for sure: expect a hail of propaganda once people wake up to the impact on international borders.

Then again, the contracts might be put out to tender on behalf of the North American Union. So it may still be a few years away.

Theories aside, there's no doubting Russia perceives this type of expansion as serving it's own interests.

Rail link between Russia & North Korea:

Russia plans rail link to Japan (with video):

rt.com...

Finally, an informative wiki article:

en.wikipedia.org...

It's already more than just a pipe dream. What do you think?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

What do you think?

I think we could use the jobs.

I also think that we still should not fully trust the Russians.....

At least tax dollars would be used for something instead of war, while creating jobs for folks

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Whoever thought this up needs to be checked for brainwave activity. I'm not at all convinced there is any. There aren't enough adjectives to cover this one. How the idea ever saw the light of day is beyond me.

Typical, isn't it? How many good ideas are sitting in a waste bin somewhere?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Does anyone remember the Chunnel fire?

I've spent a fair amount of time in Russia, and I've ridden their trains.

If any of the mechanicals are Russian built I'll never ride it.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
i think a tunnel located there is bat crazy wouldn't want to be cause down there for a myriad of reason's hide that article don't give them any more stupid ideas to waste our money on.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

we could use the jobs

Fair point. But it's worth taking a step back and asking why it is being pushed at this particular juncture.

Besides, can you imagine the price of a ticket from New York to Moscow? How many people do you think will be able to afford it...

reply to post by neo96

hide that article don't give them any more stupid ideas to waste our money on

On the contrary, get the story out there so people know what they're proposing to spend their tax money on.

We're not here to promote ignorance.

edit on 22/10/11 by pause4thought because: second reply added

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No way! Moscow is a bajillion miles from the Pacific Ocean. Look at a map, for the love of Mike! Now if they're actually talking about a gravity train, you can count that out too.

And yeah, never let Russians build anything. It will only ever be a death trap.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
No way! Moscow is a bajillion miles from the Pacific Ocean. Look at a map...

Methinks you forgot Alaska and the Bering Strait.

(Check out the video with the article.)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Are you under some misguided idea that Moscow is near the Pacific coast? Please tell me you know where Moscow is. Please have looked at the map.

Maybe it can run between Washington, DC and Moscow, eh? Handy. Non-stop only.
Too mucking fuch.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Is it possible with todays technology? Well yes, but it would be ruinously expensive. Why do it? No doubt the trade advantages would be enormous for both sides. In the end does the cost of such an endeavor pay? Well, it could and should. So go for it baby. And if one side or the other gets a little "nervous" about what the other side is doing, ether side could blow the thing up.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Are you under some misguided idea that Moscow is near the Pacific coast?

Not at all. The ticketing proposal comes from the video presentation. (Half tongue-in cheek, no doubt, as that would only be the final stage of such a gargantuan undertaking. It actually says "By 2041".) The scheme encompasses links all the way from Moscow to the Bering strait, and could, conceivably, include a link all the way from the Alaskan coast to New York.

edit on 22/10/11 by pause4thought because: quote added

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Honestly, what would be the point?

Yes The Channel Tunnel linking England to France was a great idea, because both sides of the tunnel are in densely populated areas with lots of traffic around, not to mention brilliant for importing/exporting.

Who'd use this tunnel? The Eskimos?
: @@:

Unless this is been considered purely for importing/exporting materials to and from...then I really don't see the point. Even then, what the hell would these two continents import/export anyway...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

It looks like this harebrained scheme is sufficiently whacky to have gained support from TPTB. Clearly someone was sitting with a map on their lap, whiskey in hand, exhaled from a Havana cigar and bellowed, "Gentlemen, I think I have it!"

Pulling back from that historic moment we find ourselves asking: Why? On the one hand it could all be for the good of mankind. On the other it could be the NWO globalist agenda.

Either way one thing's for sure: expect a hail of propaganda once people wake up to the impact on international borders.

Then again, the contracts might be put out to tender on behalf of the North American Union. So it may still be a few years away.

Theories aside, there's no doubting Russia perceives this type of expansion as serving it's own interests.

Rail link between Russia & North Korea:

Russia plans rail link to Japan (with video):

rt.com...

Finally, an informative wiki article:

en.wikipedia.org...

It's already more than just a pipe dream. What do you think?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

this is a very nice documentary about North Korea. Perhaps it explains why they chosen to have such an old train going to Russia. I am actually really surprised that they even have done that.
Worth watching, 14 Episodes.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

if one side or the other gets a little "nervous" about what the other side is doing, ether side could blow the thing up

Such a theoretical scenario would be unthinkable under a global government, would it not? It's worth stepping back from the current paradigm.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Understand this much: This is a waste on every conceivable level. There is no reason for this. Imagine Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum fixing Humpty-Dumpty. That's the picture that springs to mind. Madness. If this idea were for some *really good reason*, it might be worth considering. But there is not a single iota of *good idea* here. It is full of *bad idea*.

Now that that's in b&w, I'll take my opinion and leave. There's nothing more i can contribute.

If this is ever attempted though, please do refer to my comments here. I won't be back to "toldja so".

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Isn't that area too seismically active to build a tunnel?

And the same thing can be said about a tunnel from Russia to Japan, so unless they invent some kind of a rubber tunnel with rubber rails for a rubber train, I don't think that would work.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea, I could start in the UK and end up in the USA without the fear of terrorists hijacking a plane, the plane just crashing or a ship sinking, lmao, I may just get to the states yet!

It's not going to be straight there either, it's going to stop at that little island thingy in the middle so you can change trains as the Russians use a different gauge to the US, although they are also trying to design a train that can use both.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It does make some sense - Russia ,especially those areas, is a source of lots of resources. And US is an industrial nation in need of those resources. Plus, there could be people who would rather travel by train for the gigs, it is beautiful area. It will give a boost for both remote parts of US and remote parts of Russia.
Will it return the investment - hmmmm. Doubt it.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Not to mention Russia has a different rail gauge than the US and western europe, and on a 10 car passenger train, the change takes around 6 hours. There are plans to have a kind of automatic gauge changing system on a new generation of railroad trucks(the part that holds the wheel sets) but that means lots of money for new rolling stock. Plus, to run on US or Canadian rails would require being up to our standard.

A pipe dream at best. There is no need. If Sarah can stop the bridge to nowhere, someone will stop this.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join