It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Things We Know To Be True

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Though this is not my original idea I've found that sharing and comparing a list of ten things we know to be true can tell us a lot about ourselves and each other. Here's one I came up with:

1. I exist.
2. You exist.
3. The universe exists.
4. Physical laws are unchanging except in extreme circumstances or scales.
5. All known living species have qualities unique to its survivability.
6. Absolute knowledge is unattainable.
7. Omnipotence is not possible logically or physically.
8. False can never equal not false.
9. What we know as morals and ethics derive from the congress amongst a social species.
10. Two plus two always equals four.

I feel I have good reasons for supporting these statements as true. My list comprises more logical and observational truths though there are many more truths within the realm of subjective human experience that are also worth consideration. I'm looking forward to your list!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
What is your proof that we all exist? I have no clue whether my family/friends exist. Obviously I am not insane and feel very strongly towards it, although I, and anyone else cannot 100% prove anybody exists, or anything for that matter, as they are only your own subjective senses

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
11. What we still don't know about ourselves can fill 99% of the Universe.

Scientists should be saying, "What we THINK we know is this...." Instead they speak in absolutes, which seem to change as time passes.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'm sure some will descend on this thread to dispute many, if not all, of your points.

You should pick a more specific word than "exist." I'm fairly confident you are a human body, but I have no proof that you, or anyone, "exists" as a consciousness. It might be true, but it can't really be proven as I can't experience your consciousness.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Just for the sake of nit picking. You should add 12) thoughts fill 3 dimensional space

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
"4. Physical laws are unchanging except in extreme circumstances or scales"

This is a contradiction in it self =p

a) extreme circumstances

b) scales

vs

unchanging?

Which means they are changing . lol

I would reword it to , The universe has its own set of laws that we are beginging to understand

"9. What we know as morals and ethics derive from the congress amongst a social species."

I would reword this too . Morals and Ethics are practiced through social species .

You don't know where that knowledge came from but you do know where its practiced through.
edit on 22-10-2011 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB

Just for the sake of nit picking. You should add 12) thoughts fill 3 dimensional space

As in consciousness fills 99% of all atoms? Indeed, I enjoy knowing that little tidbit. As a Jedi, it really makes the difference when using The Force.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
"I would reword it to , The universe has its own set of laws that we are beginging to understand"

Or better yet, The universe has laws that can be observed and tested. Helps to take the "we" and time frame out of it.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Sorry fella. Though I see what you're saying you're going to find it a wasted affort on this site. The obvious will be ignored and reality will be replaced with the rediculous.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
you forgot one more.... "B****es aint # but hoes and tricks" hhaahhahahaha just playing but really ive been raising my frequencies lately for 10/28 and 11/11. happy meditating #lesgetit

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Things that are known should be that one should NEVER say NEVER or ALWAYS. As this immediately contradicts the basis of life.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I like it. It has been said ages ago by people far wiser then me that the true test of existence is to question one's own life. Why are we here? Yada, yada, But the real question is not what you have done, but what will you do? Enjoy...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
oh you left out

death and taxes lol

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Consensus reality is an approach to answering the philosophical question "What is real?"
It gives a practical answer:
reality is either what exists, or
what we can agree seems to exist.
The process has been (perhaps loosely and a bit imprecisely) characterised as "when enough people think something is true, it... takes on a life of its own."[citation needed] The term is usually used disparagingly as by implication it may mean little more than "what a group or culture chooses to believe," and may bear little or no relationship to any "true reality," and, indeed, challenges the notion of "true reality."

Consensus Reality...

I would say that these may be what we agree as a civilization is true. That isn't to say your list has no foundation on which to base those beliefs.
edit on 10/22/2011 by Klassified because: ETA part deux

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

AHH but thats a double negative!

Anyways...I dont know if I agree with some of the things on this list, but I do commend you on where you are going with this. Kinda makes me wonder what we know to be true, and what is perceivedas true.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
*Exhales and puts down pipe*

Last night I dreamed I was a butterfly.....but today, how do I know I'm not a butterfly dreaming I'm a human?

Even the most logical mind will begin to question the nature of reality when we begin to examine the basic building blocks which all matter is made of and all physical laws are based off.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Though this is not my original idea I've found that sharing and comparing a list of ten things we know to be true can tell us a lot about ourselves and each other. Here's one I came up with:

1. I exist.
2. You exist.
3. The universe exists.
9. What we know as morals and ethics derive from the congress amongst a social species.

I feel I have good reasons for supporting these statements as true. My list comprises more logical and observational truths though there are many more truths within the realm of subjective human experience that are also worth consideration. I'm looking forward to your list!

I'm going to agree with your list. I see nothing that is subjective about any of your assertions. Good work.

I've been looking for people - uniquely educated people - who have the necessary capability to debunk what I know to be true. So far, no one, but I remain hopeful.

Meanwhile, I will suggest that this tenet be added to the list....

• Until the emergence of human intellect, subjectivity did not exist as a concept or as an applicable qualification.

I think that's the one that I feel most certain of. The rest is still subject to ongoing verification by those with the hard-earned expertise it takes to successfully do so.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShedAlert
What is your proof that we all exist? I have no clue whether my family/friends exist. Obviously I am not insane and feel very strongly towards it, although I, and anyone else cannot 100% prove anybody exists, or anything for that matter, as they are only your own subjective senses

You don't exist.

2nd line

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB

No they don't! Thoughts are linear, just like Time, so they are One Dimensional.

What fills 3 Dimensional Space is the Energy created by Thought.

As to #10, if 1 + 1 can equal 3, then 2 + 2 does't ALWAYS equal 4.

1 + 1 can equal 3 so #10 is incorrect.

Ribbit

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

1. I exist.
2. You exist.
3. The universe exists.

I'm going to agree with your list. I see nothing that is subjective about any of your assertions. Good work.

I've been looking for people - uniquely educated people - who have the necessary capability to debunk what I know to be true. So far, no one, but I remain hopeful.

Meanwhile, I will suggest that this tenet be added to the list....

• Until the emergence of human intellect, subjectivity did not exist as a concept or as an applicable qualification.

I think that's the one that I feel most certain of. The rest is still subject to ongoing verification by those with the hard-earned expertise it takes to successfully do so.

The reason you cannot find anyone that can debunk your truths is because you won't listen to the truth, which debunks your truths.

So a closed minded person can never be proved wrong.

Ribbit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join