It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified canola goes wild (Canada & U.S.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I learned something new today. Believe it or not I was never aware that genetically modified plants have escaped and are now growing wild in Canada and the U.S.

'Feral' plants found growing along roads from North Dakota to Manitoba

Genetically modified canola has escaped from the farm and is thriving in the wild across North Dakota, according to a study that indicates there are plenty of novel man-made genes crossing the Canada-U.S. border. GM canola was found growing everywhere from ditches to parking lots, the scientists report, with some of the highest densities along a trucking route into Canada.

Now that I sit and actually think about it I'm not really that surprised. I should have known better than to expect the people who regulate this industry to make sure the genetically modified plants don't escape and breed with the native plants.

"That's where the most intense canola production is and it's also the road that goes to the canola processing plants across the border," said ecologist Cynthia Sagers of the University of Arkansas, referring to a canola plant in Altona, Man. Her study stopped at the border, but Canadian research also has found "escaped" GM canola is becoming common on the Canadian prairies, and swapping man-made genes in the wild. "Biology doesn't know any borders," said Rene Van Acker at the University of Guelph, who has done extensive research on the extent and behaviour of escaped GM crops in Manitoba.

So it's becoming common? I wonder why I haven't heard of it until now. I'm no expert on the matter but it probably isn't good to have these Frankenstein genes mixing with nature. Many of these GM seeds have been associated with major crop failures. Imagine if every plant on earth inherited these genes.

At some locations there were thousands of GM plants growing.

At other spots, the GM canola, which was engineered to withstand herbicides that kill weeds, was the only thing growing.

Of 288 canola plants the researchers tested, 231 were transgenic or genetically modified.

"That suggests to us there is breeding going on, either in the field or in these roadside populations, to create new combinations of traits," said Sagers. "In terms of evolutionary biology it's pretty amazing." She says the findings raise questions about whether the escaped or "feral" GM canola might pass on man-made genes to wild species like field mustard, which is an agricultural pest.

"It is conceivably a very large problem," said Sagers.

This sounds like it is widespread and will have some serious implications with the future of the surrounding areas. It' sounds like it has been spreading for a while. The GM plants can't be killed due to their resistance to pesticides. I'm just a city boy and I am angry from hearing this news, I can only imagine being in the farming industry.

Van Acker said the study, like similar research done in Canada, raises red flags over plans to grow pharmaceutical drugs and industrial oils in GM plants. Such crops would have to be "confined" and kept out of the food system, said Van Acker, "and that starts to worry me." The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, which regulates and approves GM crops grown in Canada, said by email Wednesday that it is satisfied that the GM crops escaping farms pose no risk.

It sounds like they should have done a few more studies before they decided to introduce these alien genes into nature. Now they are planning on growing pharmaceutical drugs
When will they learn? Probably never. Of course the applicable agencies say there is no risk. They always say that, don't hold it against me for not believing them.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
its because the company have patents on all the GM crops they produce so they dont want any regulations controlling there spread.

if any of the GM crops contaminate any natural farmers crops the GM companys then OWN those crops because they are patented.

so of course the GM companies want them to spread like wildfire.

do a search on here of "monsanto"

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It seems this isn't the only study to find this is happening in that area.

Genetically Modified Crop on the Loose and Evolving in U.S. Midwest

Weeds acquire genes from engineered crops

Transgene Escape from GM Crops and Potential Biosafety

All I can say is wow! I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable when it comes to this type of information. They are not hiding this information, I wonder why I haven't heard about it.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

I know all about Monsanto, and have heard of the contamination. I just never knew it was so widespread. It's my fault for not bothering to look into it more.

Monsanto has been an enemy of mine for quite some time now. I'm surprised they are still allowed to operate.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Monsanto has been an enemy of mine for quite some time now. I'm surprised they are still allowed to operate.

they should be shutdown immediately and all high ranking employees should be thrown in jail.. including all government officials that allowed this to happen..

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I completely agree with you. Everyone should at least be concerned about news like this. People don't seem to care. Lock them up and throw away the key for crimes against humanity.

It's pretty bad when we have been conditioned to just accept this type of stuff as normal.
edit on 22-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

its not that we dont care but there is little if anything we can do, they control so much of the worlds food production and if you decide to go against them they just contaminate your crops with there GM crap and take ownership that way.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This really makes me worried about the bees and honey! We keep bees and as far as I know if there are GM crops in the area, they do not have to tell us they have GM crops. That is my understanding right now.
But, if the crops are out of control and lose, well that is a problem all in itself.
What will this do to the wild plants and animals.
Feral animals wreak havoc on an ecosystem. I can imagine that feral plants can spread farther and faster than feral animals.

Many of the GM plants they have modified to have with pesticides inside the plants.
It makes me wonder if they have made the plants to produce the toxins, and if they did are the GM plants passing on the ability to create toxins on to the feral versions.
And is it getting into my honey?!

"pharmaceutical drugs and industrial oils in GM plants" - that is a scary idea right there. I agree with the guy Van Acker, that worries me!

"It sounds like they should have done a few more studies before they decided to introduce these alien genes into nature." - Maybe this IS the study. That is pretty nefarious though!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

I understand your feeling of helplessness, I get it as well, we all do.

If people actually took the time to find out what is actually happening I'm sure eventually we would be able to make a change. OWS is on a different matter, but a similar type of protest worldwide against Monsanto and GM would be a start. It's happening in other countries but of course we don't hear about it much.

I know the corporate elite are at least concerned about what is going on with OWS, it would be safe to assume that an organized revolt against GM crops would let them know we are not going to put up with it anymore. It's a start at least.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

one of the things i and many others do is support organic foods. but even if you do some research on that they are being pushed out by the GM crops as well it really is becoming a helpless situation.

also finding out that the country i live in (australia) is starting to introduce GM foods into our food supply makes me more then a little angry.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

www.monsanto.com...

edit on Sat Oct 22 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS /// [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread189140/pg1]MOD NOTE: Posting work written b

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

I am Canadian, and out here we have an "organic" food scam going on as well. The laws that allow something to be classified as organic are pretty sneaky. I hear it's even worse in the U.S.

The good thing is that people from all over are finding out slowly but surely. Certainly the people will have eventually had enough. This whole Codex Alimentarius agenda is being exposed and opening people's eyes to a wide range of issues when it comes to what we consume.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

They do seem to have a share in everything under umbrella companies, just like all huge corporations.

Corporate entities own earth, it's pretty scary.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueBanshee

I have always associated bee colony collapse to GM plants. There are studies that support this theory.

The birds and bees have a hand in almost everything, so do bats. I'm sure we all noticed that they are all dying off lately from various forms of disease. I can't help but think there is a connection.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
SUPER WEEDS
That is where I think this will end up. All the herbicides will become less and less effective until we have weeds that can not be killed by any herbicides.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Too late:

real-agenda.com...

Nelson’s struggle to control crop-choking weeds is being repeated all over America’s farmland. An estimated 11 million acres are infested with “super weeds,” some of which grow several inches in a day and defy even multiple dousings of the world’s top-selling herbicide, Roundup, whose active ingredient is glyphosate.

The problem’s gradual emergence has masked its growing menace. Now, however, it is becoming too big to ignore. The super weeds boost costs and cut crop yields for U.S. farmers starting their fall harvest this month. And their use of more herbicides to fight the weeds is sparking environmental concerns

edit on Sat Oct 22 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS /// [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread189140/pg1]MOD NOTE: Posting work written b

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The "Terminator Gene" (a.k.a. "Suicide Seed") is the most worrisome modification of all, in my opinion. This is a genetic modification wherein the seed from a given plant is worthless... meaning it CANNOT grow a new plant.

Late in 2006, Monsanto acquired Delta and Pine Land company, along with its greenhouse tests of Terminator seeds and rights to its Canadian patent on Terminator granted on October 11 2005. D&PL has long vowed to commercialize Terminator, targeting rice, wheat and soy in particular
Source

Now think about THIS trait crossing to all of Earth's bounty. This goes against nature. This is pure Evil. Someone should have taken out the first sociopath who even thought this up!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Well I was right (even if it was after the fact). They had to know that this could happen at some point but just did not care. So now what do we use for weed control, flamethrowers?

top topics

join