It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am proud to be American. Am I the only one?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The thing with national pride is that it takes a very rosy look at ones nation while ignoring all the bad. You want to to take pride in your nations achievements , but want nothing to do with your nations failings.

Example, some people take pride in their nations victories in wars, which they played no part in, yet ask the same person to feel shame for the slave trade for example and the person will reply "that had nothing to do with me , it was all in the past". So it's like a selective memory, enjoying the pride while ignoring any guilt. Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
The thing with national pride is that it takes a very rosy look at ones nation while ignoring all the bad. You want to to take pride in your nations achievements , but want nothing to do with your nations failings.

Example, some people take pride in their nations victories in wars, which they played no part in, yet ask the same person to feel shame for the slave trade for example and the person will reply "that had nothing to do with me , it was all in the past". So it's like a selective memory, enjoying the pride while ignoring any guilt. Just my opinion.

We were the victors at the end of WWII, but thanks to Jane Fonda and the radical left, and the CFR and NWO, and Jerry Rubin and Bernadine Dohrn, Viet Nam became a disaster and it ruined our national pride, and the march of Totalitarianism kept on. Reagan brought back our pride and the Berlin Wall came down and we got our pride back.

Current occupant of the WH is a globalist, a Citizen of the world and not in a nice way.
edit on 22-10-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

to quote Gore Vidal, "patriotism is the final refuge of the idiots and the scoundrels."

Samuel Johnson, not Gore Vidal

"A patriot is he whose publick conduct is regulated by one single motive, the love of his country; who, as an agent in parliament, has, for himself, neither hope nor fear, neither kindness nor resentment, but refers every thing to the common interest." Samuel Johnson

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I AM PROUD that I had the following options available to me:

To choose my religion

Choose my residence

Choose my college

Choose my spouse

Choose whether or not to have children

Choose to join the Army

AND Choose my weapon

AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT WE AS PEOPLE STILL HAVE THESE OPTIONS!!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
how can you be proud of something you did not do anything for to archieve it?....

this is plain bull#...

pride is reserved for things you work (hard) for !

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by projectvxn

to me, it is more like my nation has laid claim on me than me on it. its not that I hate America (although it is totally hateable). its just that i never really asked for any of this (RE: debt of sacrifice) and now I am expected to participate gladly in something that seems so small.

and by "so small" I mean that, so long as any nation lays claim on me, I care not whether it is "sovereign" or "one worlder dictatorship".

to this end, patriotism is meaningless.

but I am idealistic to the fault of naievity. I will be the first one dead in the coming war.

oh well.

Ah, I think I see the problem, you are confusing patriotism with supporting the unlawful regime we now have in power.

Patriotism is love of country, in many eyes, love of what the country means to you as an individual.

Being idealistic is a wonderful trait, all patriots are idealistic. I am a proud Patriot, and I support and believe in the ideals this country was founded upon. I volunteered to serve my country and I served with pride and have only respect for those who do so now.

This, by no means, means that I necessarily support the people in office. Since I attained my majority, I have voted in every election and have yet to have a candidate I support attain office. This is probably due to the fact that I only support those candidates who I feel have their constituents best interests, according to the rule of Constitutional Law, in mind.

Lastly, I will support and defend your right to state your opinion to the death, if necessary.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
Too often recently, though, your natural affinity for all things American hasn't come across as a love of country. Instead the impression is given of hubris, not pride. Indeed it's more than an impression, it's a bold truth. Yours is the current imperial power and your citizens regard others from a lofty height. You see it writ large on this forum day in, day out.

Arrogance, snobbishness, haughtiness, delusional, often exaggerating your own abilities whilst simultaneously underestimating the strength and virtues of others ... that's what defines the modern American ... not some kindly paternalistic figure with an innocent pride in his own washed car, his white picket fence and his freshly mown lawn.

All imperial power passes ; the question is what you leave behind. Unfortunately Old Glory fridge magnets aren't much of a legacy.

I am truly sorry that you have that impression of Americans. Most Americans that I know don't feel that way at all, in fact, many feel the opposite. Perhaps you generalize a little much?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Most of the American People are Proud to be American. The United States does have a Great History. We, Americans, past and present have not always chosen the correct path to follow in our accomplishments, however, over the “long haul” we have been blessed as a Nation.

The problems that we face is our Federal Government no longer holds dear the principles that made this a Great Nation.

We are being systematically destroyed from with-in by our own leaders. Our Congress have allowed the erosion of its powers placing the power of this Nation into the President with no required for their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution.

Our Congress is no more than a bought and paid for group of “Yes-men”. Bought and paid for by the mega-corporations.

Yes, America and the American people still are a great Nation, but we are under attack. By our own Government !

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No country on this planet has ever had such a historical rise, that in a short time has risen to such great heights as mine...

Yes good or bad it is your choice to judge...but I believe it was with a divine cause that we have come this far.

There is no other explanation for such a thing...every other country on the face of this earth are 1000's of years old...and most are to this day considered third world countries for a reason.

We have done the impossible, unheard of in the rest of the world...you doubt, I laugh at you...just look at history.

And with all of our short comings I would still, want to live no where else.

This is the greatest country to have ever been born...yes we and only this country was "born"...not from the ashes of another country that was conquered...but born from Ideals...yes we did injustice to the original occupants...and that is regrettable...but there was no stopping what was coming...a force undeniably powerful, unstoppable in it's rise to world dominance. We have made many mistakes along the way but we are built from the ground up with the power of all the inhabitants of the planet...we as Americans are...Africans, Britons, Turkish,Jews,Saudis, Irish, Scandinavians, Italians, Spanish, Mexican, Indonesians, Japanese, Chinese, Brazilian, Just to name a few...from all races, all faiths, Born from the dreams to be free.

I for one would not call home anyplace else.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Am I proud to be an American? That's a tricky question. I am thankful to have been born here. No doubt about that, but I am not proud of some of the things my country has done and what it has become.

America is not what it used to be. It is not the land of the free or the home of the brave anymore. Americans are not as free as we think. It seems we have come full circle to be in the same place we were in before we declared our independance from England. Now we would have to declare independance from our own tyranical overlords within the US itself.

Also, I have studied a lot of history and a ton of the work that came out of Nazi Germany. I realized a long time ago that the blind patriotism that we see in America today is no different than that of the brainwashed drones within the Nazi party that held Hitler up as a God. There is an entire system of propaganda that came from Germany and we see it today in our music, our news and the very mindset of people who will bash you on site if you disagree that America is always right and righteous.

So no, I don't get all choked-up when I hear another tacky Toby Keith song. I don't get all worked up when the national anthem is played and I will not support my country when they are wrong.

There are two great quotes that fit this topic to a T. We should listen to these quotes and remember what REALLY made America great.

From George Carlin:

I leave symbols to the symbol-minded.

and Thomas Jefferson

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism"

edit on 22-10-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am not proud to be an American, but I'm not ashamed either.

I never quite understood being proud of the place you were born through happenstance. If you are from a place, you are from there. Many of the things people are proud of about America they had no part of making or maintaining since the American people lost the revolutionary/radial spirit a long time ago.

Personally, I find patriotism (jingoism in a fair percentage) to be kind of a waste and has a tendency to blind people to things or have them tolerate things they should not.

America has done good and bad, which is pretty clear, so I suppose it depends which aspect you look at. Some are proud and some are ashamed.

I'm pretty neutral about the whole thing.

Peace
KJ

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by imasecretspy

I used to be proud of America, but have a hard time with it since Bush/Cheney started pummeling everyone and Obama continued on the same path.

We used to be the one's who helped other countries - sent aid after disasters - lead relief efforts - now we just lead wars.

That's not true we still give lots of foreign aid, but this Dumba** country's people will sit there and whine that people who are on our soil are lazy dumb lowlives for collecting some government aid (which really pales in comparison with what they spend on foreign soil to help people) But I guess it's ok if we help Africans, and everybody else except our own citizens, I mean really God forbid we care for our own...
America as a whole, I cannot say I stand by it when we have so many losers.

edit on 22-10-2011 by ldyserenity because: clarity

edit on 22-10-2011 by ldyserenity because: left a word out

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'm disgusted with my government but I'm still proud to be American otherwise I wouldn't fight the status quo, I would just leave.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by imasecretspy

God, I hope you're the only one still proud. this country is directly or indirectly responsible for probably 80% of the world's problems. Toby Keith has got to be the government's propaganda machine between this song and Beer for my Horses he's praising the governments every move.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Why are you proud to be an American?

Why?

It sounds like ignorance to me: Whatever is going on in my country, im still proud to be in it!

WTF man?

I am not proud on my nationality, it was given to me. I didn't choose it. It does not mean I don't like my nationality, but i didn't do anything for it. I am who i am, nothing more, nothing less. As an individual you may be proud on your own achievements, so am I. But to take pride in being something that has been given to you, for which you haven't done anything, it sounds weird.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I wonder why there aren't many proud Native Americans these days?

Oh yeah, never mind.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by cyberjedi

Haven't done anything?

I went to war for my country...and yes killed...someone who may or not deserved it, they too were fighting for their country, not proud of that, and it does haunt me.

But what I will still to this day defend is the Ideals that this country was founded on.

Don't judge Americans on their government, but on the wishes of it's inhabitants for we are the world...every race, every faith are represented here. Yes we have our differences, but that is the point we are free to express them...and not be stoned to death because we disagree with the beliefs of those in power.

Long live the American dream.

would I rather be under sharia law....I think not!

Quite frankly "F" those who would challenge this great country's intended goals to create a world of peace through tolerance and acceptance regardless of their own beliefs...true, we have fallen short from the deliverance of said goals, but we do continue to strive for it. And that is what sets us apart from the rest of the world.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I wonder why there aren't many proud Native Americans these days?

Oh yeah, never mind.

There will be, the balance is going to be restored, did you ever read the Hopi and Lakota prophecies?
They will again rise and restore the balance to this America. I just hope that we don't mess it up for them again!
We will either join in their cause or perish, that is basically what their prophecies say.
Only those who would live in love and peace and balance will be allowed to survive.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Proud to be an American....ahah. No, i could care less, as this whole affair is only temporary.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Every great power is loved and hated in its time.

For what it is worth, I don't think going through life with hatred for who you are and where you come from is a helpful attitude. It convinces no one to change, and frankly, can get irritating.

I went to a college here in the US where many people had the attitude that the US was to blame for every problem in the world and nothing it ever did was right. I'm well educated myself, and it makes you tired and sick to hear nothing but complaints and criticism. Whether those criticisms were valid or not, one thing they certainly did was alienate people from listening, because if there is one thing that is true about America, it's that the people here want to be optimistic.

I think it's a good thing to see the world through an idealistic lens sometime instead of the droll view of realpolitik, exploitation, and power relationships. So, I try to strike a balance. Critical, yes. But also proud. I don't say America sucks because...I say America can do better because.

And I love my country. I don't hate any other country. But I love my country because there is a belief there I want to associate with, and whether it exists or not (whether it has ever existed), it is worth fighting for in my opinion. Maybe it is just a dream, but it's better than living in a nihilistic nightmare.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join