It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am proud to be American. Am I the only one?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Originally posted by TechniXcality
but thats what it is to be American the differences in philosophy culture, and all coming to one to represent one counrty that stands amongst the others.

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
Proud to be from Mexico, Canada, or the United States? America is a continent....

A part of the contentinent that represents freedom, and liberty to all. Who are oppressed, a part of the contenantent that represents all opposing ideas acting as one to make us great? Surely there are dictators within our great society, acting as such that just as surely we represent the people of this world they will be disposed of? What is the correct course of action for an American patriot/American government? Should we take over the world with our ideas/ideas which are created from the people of the world. Or should we let the world become of it's own biddings?. However if we choose either are we right? Indeed there are American dictators within mist, and yes sometimes we choose imperialism over democracy. However who do you? You the people look to leadership? Who do you criticize when obviously wrong? Is it not the American people that you reach. For we are ever vigil of our mistakes and constantly criticizing of our wrongs! Please in your awareness wake the world up, to that which America represents, please stand strong when you are oppressed. Please look towards your God/or not, whoever or whatever that may be, understand that We the people hear you, and will act accordingly. For we do not represent majority, however we represent the minority,/understood by dictators around the world, Who wish nothing but there own freedom, amongst those who beg for freedom, through use of slavery, and manipulation. Do you really believe America as it is( some people hate it, They say," it represents a nation that supports idea's that don’t love our nationalist white view point".) however these people are racist, they do not understand the true nature of America, We are the country that represents all who are oppressed all who are demonized for being ethnically or ideally different. So blame us!!!! If we have forgotten by national policy these idea's! so blame us if we have forgotten foreinly these ideas!! But trust me I have not! I once stood in front of the American flag and said the pledge of allegiance, after singing the star spangled banner I will never forget that. Please forgive me for my unworldly/uncultured ideas, as I am hanging on to the last string America may have.

edit on 23-10-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I don't understand why so many, both American citizens and citizens of other nations, feel that being proud of your country means that you hate, fear, or feel superior to others. That is not what it means at all to those who truly understand.

I believe that everyone should be proud of their country, that doesn't mean be proud of your government, most of them stink nowadays.

Patriotism is also suffers from widespread hate. Don't get that one either. Don't you people understand that being a patriot means that you want to improve your country and hold your government accountable for it's actions performed in your name, not blindly support it?

At least here in the United States of America, we used to have the right to state dissenting opinions from government policy.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I believe most people are proud to be Americans. Thats why most of us get so angry when we feel someone is trying to destroy it, You don't have to love your government or anything to be a proud American. just love your country.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by crohny

Then leave.

2nd line

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
You are right, America did not grant you those rights, but it did grant you the freedoms to express those rights.
Try to express yourself on the Internet like this in China, and go to jail.

Try to speak your mind in any fascist nation, see what happens. Try to own and use a gun in Japan or Great Britain, see what happens.

The American Revolution occurred in 1776, this is 2011. 2011 - 1776 = 235 years, not over 300. Very basic math.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The United States is a country that makes an effort to have its citizens believe that they are special. When one is born American it seems to be that one is born into a special club, an elite corps, so to speak. Even a serial killer on death row can get on the gurney at the end knowing that he is still a member of that club. He can still be proud to be an American.

That club has very low standards.

It's a good gimmick for building team spirit and getting people to excel also. It depends on how one interprets the "honor".

Canadians, in contrast, are born members of a club that sees itself as facilitators of the common good of humanity. At least that's the way it was for most of my life. Things are changing though. At the last winter Olympics Canada ran an ad campaign called "Own the Podium", that was meant to raise a spirit of jingoistic, American style, chauvinism in sport. The world beater attitude.

We also adopted the attitude "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'", and restricted practice times on the bobsled run for visiting bobsledders and lugers. This led to the death of a young luger from central Europe.

We also got our first big mouth general in Rick Hillier, who talked about how we were going to kill Afghans when we went there to "help out".

To an old style Canadian, like me, these are disturbing trends.

I like America and I'm glad we do business with Americans, but business is business. I don't want to be American. I don't want to move to America. I don't want to trade in my national personality for a modified one on the American model.

In the words of a great American cartoonist, Robert Crumb, "Let's just keep it formal, shall we."

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Extremely well stated and almost exactly what I have been trying to get people to understand.

Originally posted by Magnus47
The really ironic thing is that partisanship in America is about 40% due to actual differences in principles, and 60% due to people's animalistic desire to find a group of people they can blame all of their problems on.

Here though, I have to disagree, I think it is more like 20/80.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
reply to post by imasecretspy

You are not the only one. Here is why I am proud and humbled at once to be active in this great democracy.

Because I Occupy my community, like a lot of others, rather than just exist there.

Only problem with this is that we are not a great democracy, never have been.
What we are is a Representative Republic founded on basic democratic principles.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I asked my dog if he was proud to be an American and he just stared at me like I had said something he couldn't relate to.. I told him that was okay, I understand and feel the same way about the question.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
I Am Proud To Be An American, Yes, I'm New To Being An American, But I Love This Country and I Love The People and All the Different Cultures Of America.

It's True, I did not have to be an American, My husband told me we could go back to my home land after he retired.
I Must Tell You,,,, After a Year in America and Learning English and Watching The Gifts of Food, Clothing, Medical Care, Human Assistance and Money going out to other countries in need after a Natural Disaster.
Then I watch as America has it's own Natural Disaster and Americans Pull Together and Help Each Other, I look around and think to myself,,,, Where are those Countries America, feed, clothes gave medical care too and helped rebuild?
I Love America and I Am An American,,,,,, With a Chinese Accent

My husband is a Vietnam Veteran 2 tours and to this day, still wakes me up sometimes, Sweating, Shaking and yes some times Crying, But I've Seen Tears In His Eyes When The Star Spangle Banner Is Played and He Stands and Places His Hand Over His Heart.
He Loves America and I Love America and My Family.

Thank you.
I am so glad to have you as a fellow citizen.
Please thank your husband for me for his service. I also get a tear in my eye, every time.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFrenchPickler
reply to post by HomerinNC

You cannot love America but despise the government - America IS the govermnent..even including our precious troops we send around the globe to "demonstrate" democracy. We should love our fellow poeple, but please do not associate them with America - America happens to be quite evil at the moment in case you haven't seen what is going on.

Yes, you can. Just as you can love your drug-addicted child and despise what they have done to their life.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that love is unconditional.

America IS NOT the government, America is the people.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I am proud to be American. Am I the only one?

Americans are boring. Earthlings are more interesting.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I truly envy you for feeling the way you do. I'm a Veteran and definitely don't feel proud to be an American anymore. I thank the government for that one.

I find it funny how people around me go on about their lives everyday, not ever thinking about the bigger picture and how their lives are being influenced changed. The optimistic views really annoy me.

America is no longer what it used to mean to me. I'll feel better when this nation falls. A rude awakening is just what everyone needs.

S&F Op. I truly do envy you.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Joe Rogan said it best imho

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NebulaZero

I truly envy you for feeling the way you do. I'm a Veteran and definitely don't feel proud to be an American anymore. I thank the government for that one.

I find it funny how people around me go on about their lives everyday, not ever thinking about the bigger picture and how their lives are being influenced changed. The optimistic views really annoy me.

America is no longer what it used to mean to me. I'll feel better when this nation falls. A rude awakening is just what everyone needs. S&F Op. I truly do envy you.

America is no longer what it used to be to you. Simply because you dont represent what it used to be. Which in my opinion means what it should be. Remember this world is a subjective world our opinions are conflicting and in the friction brings the harmonic display of our world. Where do you stand? what string do you strike? do you stand for the America that used to be? or have you given up hope? Thus only giving the governing idealist hope , hope that they can conquere the world without resistance. Do you know why i joined the American infantry? So that i could learn to protect the peopl. Atleast thats what i was taught. However injustice has been served on golden dishesh embrioded with our loss. But indeed i did learn to protect the people and thats exsactly what i will do, where will you stand, when the walls of lies crumble? will you be selfish and self serving? isnt that what a militarized force would hope for? Some say great minds think alike, I say great minds think alone. Some say to save your family and yourself is the only thing worth protecting. I say Great military forces realy on the mass understanding of loss, that is engrained into all people, who dont understand what a real WIN is. Sorry if i make no sense but im just now recently starting to understand who I am and what I represent. Where will you stand, when the world comes down?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by crohny
reply to post by queenofsheba

Actually America is a continent. If everyone wants to get picky. That includes Canada. So either you're a proud American because of the continent you live on and share with others, or you're an American becuase of the flag you live under. If it's for the latter, then that is saying you're for the government and the # it stands for and has stood for.

Wrong, the Americas are comprised of 2 continents and the land bridge that connects them. North America also includes Mexico, not just the United States and Canada.

Common usage of the term American has always referred to the citizens of the United States of America, the first independent immigrant nation that existed in the Americas.

Apparently you are unwilling to understand that pride in your country does not mean that you support the government of said country.

You would rather just flame and troll citizens who have proven their willingness to fight for what they believe is right, whether or not they are correct in their estimation. I will still praise them for their service and support their rights.

If you wish to continue practicing wilfull ignorance, by all means, do so. That does mean that you will continue to make inane comments that have no true bearing on the conversations you are in, as well as, no meaning to those who choose to learn and understand.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

America is no longer what it used to be to you. Simply because you dont represent what it used to be. Which in my opinion means what it should be. Remember this world is a subjective world our opinions are conflicting and in the friction brings the harmonic display of our world. Where do you stand? what string do you strike? do you stand for the America that used to be? or have you given up hope? Thus only giving the governing idealist hope , hope that they can conquere the world without resistance. Do you know why i joined the American infantry? So that i could learn to protect the peopl. Atleast thats what i was taught. However injustice has been served on golden dishesh embrioded with our loss. But indeed i did learn to protect the people and thats exsactly what i will do, where will you stand, when the walls of lies crumble? will you be selfish and self serving? isnt that what a militarized force would hope for? Some say great minds think alike, I say great minds think alone. Some say to save your family and yourself is the only thing worth protecting. I say Great military forces realy on the mass understanding of loss, that is engrained into all people, who dont understand what a real WIN is. Sorry if i make no sense but im just now recently starting to understand who I am and what I represent. Where will you stand, when the world comes down?

I, for one; also a veteran of our Armed Forces, would be proud to stand with you, Brother.

If you truly wish to call yourself a proud American, then you must stand for the ideals this country was founded upon, even if those ideals have never been lived up to.

I agree with much that you have said, but especially with the fact that I will stand and fight; and if necessary, die for these ignorant fools that cut those of us down that defend their right to do so.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
A healthy number of the posts in this thread are a contributing factor to why its so damned hard to be proud of the country anymore. You can only stomach people telling you that you are a terrible person because of where you are born so many times before it wears you down and you just give up and accept that as the way things are. It would be nice if for just one minute people could shut up and let folks be happy for a little bit, to take even a smidgen of pride in a country which was once a shining example for the rest of the world in many respects. Perhaps that's part of our problem as a country, we have spent so long listening to people tear us down as a nation and a people in one way or another that we have thrown in the towel.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
kudos for your success in something which is nearly impossible to achieve these days.

if i were an american, i'd definitely pack my stuff and move outta country to apply for the citizenship of a country that has nothing to do with the western elite, and above all, with CIA. heh.

there's still hope on your part tho. the wall street protests are a good sign. american ats'ers with common sense are yet another.
edit on 23-10-2011 by jamsession because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I haven't had many, if any good feelings about the U.S. since about 1969 except for when Jimmy Carter was in the White House and gave amnesty to the draft dodgers that boogied off to Canada and opened the Vietnam Vet centers... I actually get very pissed off when I hear a drippy corny song, the national anthem or someone that thanks me for serving the country when I know they look down on veterans and think anyone that could have would have avoided military service if they were smart or had rich parents that would pay off a doctor to write a letter with a diagnosis that could keep them out of harms way... I mean John Wayne had a 4F deferment before he became a shill for right wing causes. I have been to Veterans day memorials where the Daughters of The Confederacy read heart wrenching poems with fake emotion wiping non existent tears with pretty little hankies, and step down and ask their peers,"how'd I do"... You are where you are because that is where you are. Why is that something that you should be proud of?? Have you ever considered that maybe it is a con to get you to send your boy and nowadays girl child off to spill their blood, if not die or become a shell of what they were or could have been, and for what, an insurance check for mommy and profits for the masters of war.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join