It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism by Goldstein - (How You Are Controlled)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire

He ... insisted that I read a book written in 1957 titled "The Hidden Persuaders" by Vance Packard.

I think I'll add this book to my to read list.

I'll add the Manchurian candidate to my must wacth movie list as well

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by InformationAccount

These are old sources of information IA. Both can be referenced historically but neither is very dramatic now. My point was that I accessed this information in my youth fifty years ago an so have a little perspective on the issue. And 1984? I did my senior lit paper on it in 65.

And oh one last thing? You mentioned earlier fighting propaganda with propaganda

The best defense against propaganda: more propaganda.

Edward Bernays, the father of advertising.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

These are old sources of information IA. Both can be referenced historically but neither is very dramatic now. My point was that I accessed this information in my youth fifty years ago an so have a little perspective on the issue. And 1984? I did my senior lit paper on it in 65.

And oh one last thing? You mentioned earlier fighting propaganda with propaganda

The best defense against propaganda: more propaganda.

Edward Bernays, the father of advertising.

And your thoughts on The Prisoner?

edit on 28-10-2011 by InformationAccount because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

My issue is not with the content, the words used in the video. It is with the presentation.
For my way of thinking, it is a mistake to understand the story of 1984 strictly in terms of communism. That was the limited expression of those vids. The same Russian song playing in each one clearly manipulates the viewer to connecting totalitarianism to Soviet Russia. Ok ok fine. Soviet Russia was a totalitarian.

Sure, I understand that there is a ruling elete. But this video suggests that it mostly is happening over there, somewhere else. This is propaganda. Propaganda uses (I'll make up numbers here) 98% truth and 2% lies. It sells you on stuff that satisfies. And then tosses in the message which is the true intent of the propagandist.

Propaganda delivers two messages. There is the message we hear and understand and most likely agree with, and then there is the message that the propagandist sneaks in that we are not aware of.

But my main problem with the video? I love Russian music. For me, the Russian classical composers were just so great. And a Russian mens choir singing in their mother tongue? I could not pay attention to the narration due to the pull of the music.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

... it is a mistake to understand the story of 1984 strictly in terms of communism. That was the limited expression of those vids. The same Russian song playing in each one clearly manipulates the viewer to connecting totalitarianism to Soviet Russia. Ok ok fine. Soviet Russia was a totalitarian.

Sure, I understand that there is a ruling elete. But this video suggests that it mostly is happening over there, somewhere else.

This is propaganda. Propaganda uses (I'll make up numbers here) 98% truth and 2% lies.

Are you suggesting that Totalitarianism Propaganda is happening somewhere else besides over there?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
As long a there are people who have not learned when they are being lied to there will be liars.
The evil man fishes not in the lake where no fish swim.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join