It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a new, old gun!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

I want to know how old the gun is, the scope is not really a big deal to me. It doesn't adjust or anything.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Nice gun.

Yes, a 30-06 kicks but it's not that bad.

Like someone else said, if you don't reload yourself you ABSOLUTELY must know you can trust your reloader. Improperly reloaded ammo can destroy your rifle and injure you.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by xxclaro

I want to know how old the gun is, the scope is not really a big deal to me. It doesn't adjust or anything.

You should be able to find out the age by the serial number. I don't have the resources here, but I have looked up a few of my Wincheters online and was able to determine year of build. I'll see if I can dig up hte site, I'm curious now too!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If you go to ArmsCollectors.com, they have a section where you can enter your serial number and get a build date. Just click the Winchester name in the manufacture list, go to Bolt actions and hit Model 70. Let us know what you find!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

1964 model. Oh well, it's not the best one they made, but it looks good to me.

My Dad reloaded the bullets he gave me. He's been doing it for 30 years. I don't think his skill is a problem, but he's been known to go overboard.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Ha! Yeah, handloaders tend to go for max speed! Examine your fired cases carefully, look at the primers and seeif they are excesssively flattened,loose or if there is metal flowing back around the firing pin. These are signs of excessive pressure,and you don't really want to see that.Truth be told, you gain very little by adding 100fps, better of playing it safe and keeping things a little more tame. These rounds get into the 60'000 psi range,which is nothing to sneeze at. Stay safe, and have fun! Let us know how it shoots, once you get a chance.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
OMG your from America are you?

sigh...

So what if he is?

Do you have something to add on topic of the OP or did you simply come here to troll?

Before you do, maybe you should read the rules for this forum:

The Weapons and Tactics Forum: What it is and what it is NOT

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Congrats dude, i love guns and i am pro 2nd Amendment... thats a nice looking gun there :-D

FYI gun control doesnt stop criminals it just makes it worse

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Thanks for sharing your story and info on the winchester,that is a
fine 'all rounder' a really nice weapon. hope you hold on to it and
get down the range and have some fun (safe vof course).

Nice deer hunter, get a decent scope on it and get some nice tight
groups.consistensy will come with propper maintainence and when
you find the right round that suits you and the weapon.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Dogdish

Do these guns really kick that badly?

You just have to be prepared for it. The biggest round I ever fired was a .308 and it's got a decent kick to it, the 30-06 is slightly larger.

My friend and his dad (took me with them for my first time firing a gun) both got knocked in the face by the scope, I took that as fair warning, gripped hard and it's a pretty smooth shoot. Be prepared and you shouldn't have any trouble.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You can buy low recoil loads for the 30-06, I believe they use 125 grain bullets from a major ammo company.

If you are going to shoot long range shots, I'd stick with the 165, or less popular 150 grainers for whitetails. But with shots of 100 yard's or less, I'd stick with 180 grainers, for it would be more effective against a big whitetail or elk.

Get yourself some electronic ear muffs for hunting or target shooting. I use lightweight Howard Leights from Cabelas. Though it might be hard to tell the direction of where the deer is coming from.

For target shooting, you can use a Lead Sled, recoil shield pad, or I just buy a Bag of Rags from the Auto Parts store and stuff them under my shirt.

If you pick up a flinch... go back to shooting you 22LR, till you get over the flinch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join