It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a new, old gun!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
My Dad gave me this rifle that's been in our family a while. It's a 30-06 or something or other. Pretty nice looking for something that's twice my age. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, but he said it's very accurate.

One more thing. My Dad says that shooting re-loaded shells with 150 grains (I think) in it is safe. Is that true?
edit on 21-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

now thats a nice looking gun!
i love rifles like this, sick of seeing automatic crap

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
My Dad gave me this rifle that's been in our family a while. It's a 30-06 or something or other. Pretty nice looking for something that's twice my age. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, but he said it's very accurate.

One more thing. My Dad says that shooting re-loaded shells with 150 grains (I think) in it is safe. Is that true?
edit on 21-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

Nice looking 30-06! I have one myself. Make sure you oil and clean it especially after use.

As far as safety is concerned, I fire 180 grain bullets and am perfectly safe. Safety is relative, though. As long as the rifle is used and treated properly, and safety measures and equipment are taken seriously, any gun is safe. Just wear protective goggle, ear plugs, and don't fire at things that cause bullets to ricochet or this might happen: www.youtube.com...

Make sure you learn proper use of the safety, trigger squeeze, maintenance, and how to operate the rifle and you'll be good to go.

As far as use: 30-06 can be easily used for hunting larger game such as deer or moose. I wouldn't shoot a squirrel with it, though. You can also use it for target shooting at a range. Be aware that they can have a mighty kick and never rest your shoulder or back against a solid object while firing.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

Read the link for the rest. Purdy gun. My Dad gave me a Browning A5 that I love. Still haven't shot it yet, someday I probably will. Love that thing you just got, full of history.

NRA Safety Guidelines
edit on 21-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The 30-06 Springfield (7.62x63) has many different bullets weights for many different uses. The lightest ones listed are 110,125, and 130gr. These are good for target and varmint shooting. 150 to 168gr bullets are good for deer especially at longer ranges. The 180 to 220gr are more for elk, moose large game. Looks like you have a good all around rifle on you hands.

edit on 21-10-2011 by oldshooter1979 because: cause I wanted too

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
If you've never fired one:

Make sure you're far enough back from the scope that you see a clear picture all the way around the inside of the eyepiece, that way you're back far enough from the scope to not get a black eye... and don't jerk up to see where you shot, or it may happen anyway!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dogdish

Do these guns really kick that badly?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
While 180gr bullets are probably the "traditional" choice in the 30-06, 150 grain and 165 grain are quite popular nowdays. With the advancements in bullet design and material, you can shoot lighter,faster bullets and still get the penetrion and performance you'd expect from a heavier bullet.

As far as reloads go, either do it yourself or make sure you know who did them,and trust them completely. I handload for all my rifles, and it's critical to make sure yr following the right data and working up loads correctly. Also, if you decide to handload, you have access to a far greater variety of bulelt weights and types than is commonly available in stores. You can handload a 100gr bullet to around 3500fps,which is dynamite on varmints, up to 220gr bullets at close to 2500fps, which will kill anything in North America stone dead.

All in all, it's tough to think of a more practical and versatile round than the 30-06. That's why it gets ignored some times I think, it just does everything with boring consistency. Not the fastest or flatest, but gets the job done no matter what. if you can do your part,the 30-06 will certainly do it's part. I would load it up with 165 or 180gr Nosler Partitons and feel totally comfortable in all hunting situations in North America, and much of Africa too..

Could you give us some more info on the gun?Hard to see exactly what you got there. Make and model should be stamped on the left side of the barrel,right in front of the action. If it's in shootable shape, I'd say you done good!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Dogdish

Do these guns really kick that badly?

Not really, no. Still,recoil has much to do with the shooters physical fit to the rifle. If your average height/build etc, you'll probably be just fine. I've shot some relatively mild guns that beat me all to hell because they were such a poor fit for me,while others with considerably more recoil were no problem.

One thing I'd recommend is to get away from the benchrest after doing your initial sight in. Most benches force you to really lean down,almost lay behind the gun. This allows your body no movement to absorb the recoil,and also often puts the stock in a bad position on your shoulder. Do yourself a favour and use a recoil pad if you needto, it'll make the shooting much more enjoyable. Shoot the gun standing a few times,and I think you'll find the recoil is easily managed. Sit at a bench for 20-30 rounds without a pad, and you'll likely have not much fun at all. I find shooting sticks or bipods work well, letting you sit or kneel while still having a fairly steady rest.

link   
reply to post by xxclaro

Winchester model 70 repeating rifle. Purchased in 1964.

link   

No, not really. Just easy to remember mistakes that I made. (many years ago) Just hold it securely and smoothly squeeze the trigger. Try not to "flinch", or jump back from it, and expect some recoil. I was just saying that because the first impulse is to get right behind the eyepiece and then to look up and see what you knocked over.
I really don't know your level of experience, so if it's the first time with a scope, well just a general guideline I thought someone should mention.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dogdish

I've shot a .22 and a 12 gauge before. I have a 12 gauge also, but it is only a single shot and is pretty bad.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Well, like xxclaro said, you'll be shooting this more often from a 'rest' or a more secure position than that shotgun, which will take some of the recoil out of it, if you ask me.
Take a quick search of shooting positions, and practice from a few of those. I think you'll really enjoy that gun.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Kudos to yer pop!
He picked a fine gun for you and itll last you a lifetime of game shooing as well as your own son if you ever get one.....
Shoot it with pride and never point it at anything you do not expect to destry as they are a powerful round.
Getting anything better would be getting into magnum territory.
Hold the rifle firmly to your sshoulder and take a deep beath, slowly let out half of it as you take up the slack on the trigger.it should go off with a healthy boom, so get ear plugs for shooting lots.
My dad left me a browning auto five which i carried for many years finally passing it on to my own boy.....
It is still a great gun.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I'll probably give it to my youngest sister actually. We're far apart, and I don't want kids.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

A 30-06 kicks differently then a 12 gauge in my opinion. 12 gauge is worse. If you can shoot a 12 and not worry about it, the rifle isn't going to have recoil that will deter you from shooting it. To me shooting a rifle is more of a quick kick, a 12 is more like a sustained one. Recoil really doesn't get worse than a 12 by much. Sure, some long arms have more, but it's akin to comparing a .45 and 9mm. The .45 kicks more, but it doesn't hurt more. I guess all I am trying to say is don't be scared of it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The WInchester Model 70 is often refered to as "The riflemans rifle". It is indeed a classic,and in perhaps the most classic of chamberings as well. I wonder if it ws manufactured in '64 as well? The pre-64 models are more sought after, due to higher degree of fit/finish and things like cut vs pressed checkering etc, but either way it is a solid rifle and if it's been maintained it'll last a lifetime. Parts,should they be needed, are also quite readily available.
If your concerned about recoil, go with the lighter grain bullets. There is also ammo out now billed as "managed recoil", and it is indeed much lighter in recoil,although at the expense of velocity/bullet weight. Even so, it is quite adequate for most uses.

I see it is scoped. Not sure how old the scope is, but if it's quite old you'll probably see a marked improvement with newer optics.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

I'm not sure of the production year. I'd guess that it's pre-64, and the scope is very old. Is there any way to tell?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Hard to say for sure on the scope, at least as far as year of manufacture. Does it have a brand and model name/number on it? Some old scopes were wuite good,some not so much. New decent glass can be had for under $200, so not a big deal if it needs replacement. Is it a fixed power or variable power scope?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join