It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Aliens Have Found Us Because Of Our Radio And Television Signals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I know if the roles were reversed and I suddenly had access to entertainment from across the galaxy I would be hooked, and this coming from a guy who hates our own reality tv and a good chunk of our entertainment in general

I would'nt want to watch or listen to anything else...It would be fascinating beyond description...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by blocula

like any EM raditation - the propogation of radio waves is dictated by the inverse square rule

further - the atmosphere [ in particular the ionoshphere degrades the signal at many frequencies

so the true range at which any terrestrial broadcast will be recievable is far less than the theoretical range

For that reason I would be surprised if any of our radio signals have made it even to our closet neighbor star system only a little over 4 light years away. And the same goes for us hearing form any aliens. There could be aliens in close by solar systems but if they are using anything like we are then those signal will not make it here just as ours will not make it there. Space is very noisily place when it come to radio so our signal is going to get washed out in short order.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'd say this thread has been taken behind the woodshed and worn out.

I'd say that our radio and television signals have been detected and taken for what they are and we might not like what comes knocking at our door from outer space...
edit on 21-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by blocula

like any EM raditation - the propogation of radio waves is dictated by the inverse square rule

further - the atmosphere [ in particular the ionoshphere degrades the signal at many frequencies

so the true range at which any terrestrial broadcast will be recievable is far less than the theoretical range

For that reason I would be surprised if any of our radio signals have made it even to our closet neighbor star system only a little over 4 light years away. And the same goes for us hearing form any aliens. There could be aliens in close by solar systems but if they are using anything like we are then those signal will not make it here just as ours will not make it there. Space is very noisily place when it come to radio so our signal is going to get washed out in short order.
What? The earth has an expanding bubble of man-made radio signals expanding outward at the speed of light.These early Radio transmissions were short range experiments that used simple clicks and interrupts to show transmission of information in the 1890s.In 1900, Reginald Fessenden made the first,though incredibly weak,voice transmission over the airwaves.The next year saw a step up in power as Guglielmo Marconi made the first ever transatlantic Radio broadcast...

This means that at 110 light years away from earth,the edge of a radio sphere,which contains many star systems,our very first Radio broadcasts are beginning to arrive.At 74 light years away,Television signals are being introduced.Star systems at a distance of 50 light-years are now entering the Twilight Zone...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i wonder who the aliens prefer...Ginger or Mary Ann?....The Jetsons or the Flintstones?

And aside from the humor...Are the aliens who discovered our,calling cards,preparing something in 2012 ?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I stand by what I said. The farther a radio travels the weaker it gets. At 50 light years the signal would be so weak it would be non-existent and add to the all the radio noise of space stomping all over the signal. I would be surpirsed if any of our TV and radio signals made it more than a few lightyears.

And here is another though even if a signal did make it out there would 'they' even know what radio is? They could use some other form of communication and may not even pick up the signal. If they did pick it up they may just think it was more space noise and think nothing of it. We could be picking up their signals all the time and think they are just space noise. I have to say that TV and radio signals are not a vey good way to met aliens.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

ok - do some maths

assuming a 1mw transmitter power [ largest currently in use ]

please tell us what the signal strenth will be for the various categories of radio signal measured

i) at the moon

ii) at 4ly distance

hint - the apollo missions used paraboloc reflectors on all thier equipment for a reason

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
And here is another though even if a signal did make it out there

Our signals "have" made it out there,in all directions,for the past 100 years.There is no doubt in my mind that our signals have been detected by at least one alien civilization and probably a lot more than that.Surely any intelligent civilization will have the technology that will enable them to be able to detect our radio waves and trace them back to their source...

Our planet has been like a lighthouse in the fog of space... An orbiting bullseye....A neon sign that has been saying for the past 100 years...."Come one come all" "Here we are"...And we better hope that aliens with bad intentions don't get curious...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Any species capable of interstellar travel is far beyond simple "radio", and has far better methods of detection, and far more advanced science of communication. (aka, "Sub-Space")

It's only logical.....

"Live Long, And Prosper"

(cue the Vulcan salute).......

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

even civilisations wth "only " radio can detect things - but are unable to do much other than speculate

we can detect pulsars such as sgr 1806 20 at 50 thousand light years distant

i believe there are other civilisations out there who like us - can detect it - and wonder - what the < cencored > is that ?

but also - like us - have not managed to get one of thier kind beyond thier own planets moon(s)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Space Aliens Have Found Us Because Of Our Radio And Television Signals

Not at all.

They visit this planet from hundreds thousands years,....... if not millions years.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
If aliens are out there, there could be an alien galactic EPA considering a fine for all of us for polluting intergalactic space for excessive noise.

However after watching Independence Day and Transformers, they realized some really bad aliens already found us and they decided they want to lay low to avoid those aliens. They could be hoping we keep causing trouble for the nasty aliens until they can build up sufficiently large space fleets to counter any perceived alien threat from the Transformer aliens and Indepence Day aliens. When their fleets are large enough, they may decide to contact us and fine us retroactively for 100 years of pollution.

If you believed in a L.Ron Hubbard universe, aliens knew about our backward planet a long time ago but decided to quarantine this sector of the galaxy due to all our dangerous ideas. It still may not stop sightseerers from wanting to observe the dangerous earthlings.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
True. I have heard also that the 1st atomic explosion ripped the very fabric of the building blocks of the Universe...and that attracted many, many more and brought many here following all the others over the milleniums. (Ancient Aliens)

The A bomb was like the "shot heard round the Cosmos"...and they have begun coming in variety and numbers and will continue. To stop or halt us. Before we destroy things outside of our own home planet.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I've thought for several years that this concern may be one of the motivations behind replacing high power transmission with digital satellite tech over the last 20 yrs- digital signals are around 100 to 1000 times less powerful and less likely to be decipherable in 100 lyrs.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Any species capable of interstellar travel is far beyond simple "radio", and has far better methods of detection, and far more advanced science of communication

Sure they would be very advanced aliens, but if they were looking for alien life, how would they even know where to begin to look? There would be literally millions of choices in direction that they could go. A needle in a haystack thats light years across...

So they would look for evidence of intelligent origin first...and our radio waves are telling the galaxy where we are.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazloFarnsworth
True. I have heard also that the 1st atomic explosion ripped the very fabric of the building blocks of the Universe...and that attracted many, many more and brought many here following all the others over the milleniums. (Ancient Aliens)

The A bomb was like the "shot heard round the Cosmos"...and they have begun coming in variety and numbers and will continue. To stop or halt us. Before we destroy things outside of our own home planet.
There are interstellar explosions and stars going nova all over the universe that dwarf our atomic weapons...

But our radio and television waves are unique and those signals would obviously be detected and interpreted to be of intelligent design...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Its not just tv signals IMO its also the way we channel electricity through cables. We live in an electrical universe, and I believe that many aliens can litterally peer though the universe and visualise how electricity moves around. Our cables all over the world also give off electrical signals of a sort, this can be monitored from anywhere in space by an advanced species.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Let me put it this way sports fans. What's the difference between a "signal" and "noise"? The answer is does it mean anything to you, at the moment? Lets face it all the collective energy that is used in our EM transmissions is going to have to compete with the background "noise" The mind blowing harmonic put out by our own sun, and after that the planet Jupiter. From the point of view of an ET, what we can do is barely a burp. Will they notice it or not? Thats not the right question, the question is if THEY do notice, will they care? If you don't believe me, ask yourself this question: What is "art" to you, and what is garbage? It boils down to being a matter of opinion.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I presume you were responding to one of my posts? Had to read, in order to realize. Would have been nice if the reference were more clear.

So they would look for evidence of intelligent origin first...and our radio waves are telling the galaxy where we are.

Not only has it been noted that radio waves and any excess *noise* diminishes with distance, especially when talking about dozens of light-years.......leaving that aside.......

People who ponder this idea tend to miss the obvious.....and they also immediately go to the "bad aliens" aspect of imagination, instead of the "good aliens" side of the possibilities.

Why? Why is this? Is it borne out of too many Hollywood depictions (all fiction, and written as such)?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
you say that "Space Aliens Have Found Us Because Of Our Radio And Television Signals?" so can you explain how they were around well before the invention of electricity? or when the Egyptians where around?

I think your wrong on this one buddy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join