It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.1 - HOKKAIDO, JAPAN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 6.1
Date-Time

Friday, October 21, 2011 at 08:02:37 UTC
Friday, October 21, 2011 at 05:02:37 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.889°N, 142.477°E
Depth 185 km (115.0 miles)
Region HOKKAIDO, JAPAN REGION
Distances 17 km (10 miles) NE of Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan
121 km (75 miles) NNW of Obihiro, Hokkaido, Japan
131 km (81 miles) NE of Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
941 km (584 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.3 km (8.3 miles); depth +/- 5.3 km (3.3 miles)
Parameters NST=611, Nph=645, Dmin=26.7 km, Rmss=0.63 sec, Gp= 14°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=A
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0006b09

A very deep earthquake, but still quite strong.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The last 24 hours have seen a string of 4. Earthquakes but no more than usual at the depth they are happening. The one in California was less than 4.0 but still 8km deep.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ShortMemory

Here's the warning quake data from Hokkaido. Happened on the 15th. 4.5 quake Oct. 15th @ 8:23utc
edit on 21-10-2011 by thcnemesisv2 because: Forgot to say it was in the same place.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Theres also this one that caused a tsunami - www.abovetopsecret.com...

reply to post by Toolatetotalk

Yeah ive noticed a lot of activity. southern asia was going crazy for a little bit but that seems to have cooled down. 8km's is very shallow for such a densley populated area, hopefully its not a preshock

reply to post by thcnemesisv2

cheers for that..im thinking we may see a few aftershocks for this one.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Man these people could do with a break. I've been so impressed with the Japanese after watching them deal with disaster after disaster.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Atleast its not a big one

and it doesnt have to mean that a big earthquake is about to occur now just becuase the one earlier this year also had a "pre-earthquake"

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

They really haven't stopped shaking..I feel for them

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Man these people could do with a break. I've been so impressed with the Japanese after watching them deal with disaster after disaster.

Well, if you didn't know already - Something like half of Japan is under the Pacific already anyway from pre-historic quakes. A quick "googling" on "underwater Japanese cities" will help you.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

To be honest I don't know how to take your post. It seemed snarky... It also didn't really make sense to me as a reply to y saying that I was impressed with the Japanese people and their ability to deal with catastrophes.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

ok Ill bite. I did the google and see where there is an underwater pyramid, but please direct me to where half of Japan is underwater.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thcnemesisv2
Well, if you didn't know already - Something like half of Japan is under the Pacific already anyway from pre-historic quakes. A quick "googling" on "underwater Japanese cities" will help you.

A single 150m x 40m site with no conclusive evidence of human occupation a thousand km south of mainland Japan is hardly "half of Japan".

And the fact that it's location (ie. under the sea) is almost without reservation attributed to rising sea levels after the last ice age as opposed to cataclysmic earthquakes might be something for you to consider.

Anyway, this quake is cause for a little concern, as it's right on the edge - quite literally - of the Daisetsuzan volcanic group. If one of the 20 volcanoes in that group are waking up... damn. I don't even want to think about what that will mean.

That area of Japan tends to be quite quiet as far as quakes go. Just take a look at the seismic history plots on the USGS page - it's one of the only parts of Japan that you can see clearly on the map. Maybe a dozen 4s and 5s since 1900. To my eye, it's the largest in that immediate area since 1900.

Worth keeping an eye on this one.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by thcnemesisv2

A single 150m x 40m site with no conclusive evidence of human occupation a thousand km south of mainland Japan is hardly "half of Japan".

And the fact that it's location (ie. under the sea) is almost without reservation attributed to rising sea levels after the last ice age as opposed to cataclysmic earthquakes might be something for you to consider.

Anyway, this quake is cause for a little concern, as it's right on the edge - quite literally - of the Daisetsuzan volcanic group. If one of the 20 volcanoes in that group are waking up... damn. I don't even want to think about what that will mean.

That area of Japan tends to be quite quiet as far as quakes go. Just take a look at the seismic history plots on the USGS page - it's one of the only parts of Japan that you can see clearly on the map. Maybe a dozen 4s and 5s since 1900. To my eye, it's the largest in that immediate area since 1900.

Worth keeping an eye on this one.

My apologies. Ive been watching too much Ancient Aliens.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
7.4 in Kermadec, 7,2 in Turkey, 6.2 in Japan

1000 dead in turkey alone.

any deaths in Japan?

top topics

join