It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well here's the story.

About 5 or so years ago I was taking care of my convalescent father in Birchrun Michigan. I did all the groundskeeping, cooking, cleaning, ect... I did'nt get out much considering my Father needed 24 hour care.
So I was was doing the lawncare maintenance and found "This" on the walkway to the house. I had no need to go onto the walkway in about 2 days beacause I was a "live in" but I did remember that a few days before I heard something bounce off the roof. Thing is I know metiorites are made mostly of iron and this happens to be non magnetic almost a mix of glass and many metals.

What I am looking for is somebody who is knowlengable who can tell me what this actually is?
I am more than willing to send a sample to someone who actually has a degree or credentuals.

These are my photo's of what I call "The Alligator Metiorite"

Ok this is a shot taken with flash. (shows silver color)

The next four shots are taken with natural light. (notice alligator shape)

I appreciate any help in identifing excactly what this is.

MODS could you please put this into the proper thread? I did not or could not find the proper place. Thanks.

edit on 21-10-2011 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Can not see the pics
second line

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Need a link to the photos please?
Thanks.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I put pics on image shack thsy did not work for some reason. Did another host can you see them now?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
That's crazy. You're on to something here!

Looks like one shiny meteorite rock to me.

Lucky it didn't come through the roof!

meteorites.wustl.edu...
edit on 21-10-2011 by Realm52 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Can you tell us its size and weight? Also, does it smell particular? If it comes from space, I would think it has a somewhat different odor than Earth rocks...

I'd love to find one!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

That's pretty cool.

But it also reminds me of a blob of glass and aluminum that I pulled out of my firepit ten years ago. A summer of beer and fires created it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This could be coal slag or some industrial slag, was this found near rail road tracks or in some industrial area?

On the other hand, it could very well be a meteorite.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I dont have any way to measure it's weight yet. I live in mi and i am working poor. i do know that @ longest it's t over 2" and the weight? Have no way to measure it? I'd say 2-5 ounces?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Size/dimensions?

Weight?

What color streak does it leave on paper (if any)?

ah I see you posted while I was typing...lol.
edit on 10/21/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Wow, very neat find. It has
the look of a meteorite rock but
needs to be tested to make sure.
It almost appears as if it has
been weathered a long time,
Is there any flowing water near
where you found it?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Actually there is train tracks about a 1/4 mile to a 1/2 mile. But thing is I grew up playing around railyards at times and this is different in many ways than burnt coal remains IMO. But i could be wrong. There still isnt a explanation to as why it came to be on the walkway which I for the most part was the only one using it? And the rememberance of the noises I heard on the roof? So I don't agree at all with the rail stones.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I tried to use it on paper and it left no mark just ripped the paper like it was tissue paper. Neat thanks a lot!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Thanks for the answer!

Another question; do you remember what time of the year it was? Maybe it was during a period of meteorites shower?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Hmmm? I kinda know what you are talking about, but no that stuff is heavy and this is very light for it's size.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My suggestion is to run it over to your nearest geological department say at a university, depending on where you are they will usually ask for you to take pictures and they will tell you what you have. To me it could very well be an iron ore meteorite but I am not a scientist.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I beleive it was between june and aug of 2007 in Birchrun, Mi Oop's I guess it was only four years ago.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I wonder if it could be a piece of a satillite or other man made space garbage that melted and fused during reentry? What do you think?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

I have actually thought of that. it's amazing to look at with a magniphing glass too. Lot's of weird shapes and what seems to me as the emergence of glass and metals combined in odd ways. Kinda like a microcosim, I actually feel a kinda joy looking at this thing, it's never the same

edit on 21-10-2011 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Alright so two thing, maybe you could just give volume of the object that would also help determine properties.
Volume can be determined easily, get a measuring cup, a large one fill halfway or so with water, mark it down, then mark the change and you will have a rough volume. (eureka)

Second, I am doubtful that it is a meteorite, the reason being that it seems to have gas bubbles, you see the little spots that look like open spheres, meteorites do not have gas bubbles.

Most likely it is slag.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join