It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Souls

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I just started playing this game recently. I got it for PC on sale during the Steam winter sale. 20 bucks and it has all the DLC.

It's definitely a better game than Skyrim. Skyrim was awesome, but it's a game for babies compared to this game. I really can't imagine going back to Skyrim now. It'll seem so boring. The combat is much better in this game too.

I'm not that far into it, so I can't yet say if it's the best RPG I've ever played, that honor still goes to a Final Fantasy game. Also, it isn't quite as difficult as I was imagining it'd be. The save system works a lot like the older Final Fantasy games so maybe I'm just used to that. You can't save every 5 minutes like in Skyrim. And there aren't arrows telling you EXACTLY where to go.
So yeah, besides Final Fantasy, I feel safe saying this is the best RPG. Followed by Witcher 2, then Elder Scrolls.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
wow this thread is still alive!

as for skyrim. i played about 20hrs and got tired of it. annoying puzzles that are tedious and a bunch of fetch quests.

dark souls has challenging concepts and you actually have to think and use strategy when fighting. also having the ability to invade or be invaded makes the game all the more challenging.

as for ign, i don't listen to what gaming news media says about games anymore. they seem to be bought off by the larger game companies like EA or Acti-Blizzion (look at spyro skylander reviews for christ's sake) they are as credible as fox news or msnbc reporting political news.

i'm not a fan of hand holding in games. if you want a nice easy sure to win game, pick up skyrim.
if you want a challenging, rewarding experience where you have to work for the win, get dark souls. the game is for the hardest of the hardcore gamer

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Started a new cleric last night after watching the Dark Souls speedruns posted on page 1.
Headed straight over to the red dragon bridge and milked some soul levels by causing the dragon to breath fire all over the skellies on the bridge. 555 souls each time. I put all my souls into faith so now I have this vanilla cleric with a faith=25!

After about 20 attempts I finally survived the fire breath of the red dragon by running, getting very lucky, across the bridge. I immediately lit the bonfire, joined the Sunbro covenant... and I remembered that there is a Black Night very close by. I had him down to a sliver of health with black fire bombs. (edit to add: yes, he struck me down when my stamina was too low to swing my mace.) Now back to the merchants in Undead Burg.

Got invaded. How nice of the red phantom to stab me in the back repeatedly while I'm purchasing my fire bombs. Very classy invader.

I think the early game is the most fun, levelling the character up, getting stronger, finding new stuff.
edit on 1/24/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: edit to add

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
Started a new cleric last night after watching the Dark Souls speedruns posted on page 1.
Headed straight over to the red dragon bridge and milked some soul levels by causing the dragon to breath fire all over the skellies on the bridge. 555 souls each time. I put all my souls into faith so now I have this vanilla cleric with a faith=25!

After about 20 attempts I finally survived the fire breath of the red dragon by running, getting very lucky, across the bridge. I immediately lit the bonfire, joined the Sunbro covenant... and I remembered that there is a Black Night very close by. I had him down to a sliver of health with black fire bombs. (edit to add: yes, he struck me down when my stamina was too low to swing my mace.) Now back to the merchants in Undead Burg.

Got invaded. How nice of the red phantom to stab me in the back repeatedly while I'm purchasing my fire bombs. Very classy invader.

I think the early game is the most fun, levelling the character up, getting stronger, finding new stuff.
edit on 1/24/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: edit to add
Yeah the lightning bolts you get from the sun covenant awesome. I started new game plus and my charecter is strong. I killed the torus demon with one hit from my sword. With that faith you got the astora sword and dragon crest shield would kick some ass.

I decided to take a brake from Dark Souls I've been playing it non stop since day one of its release. I started playing Dragons Dogma which is pretty good also. Not as good as Dark Souls but it's still cool. I'll probobly go back to Dark Souls sometime down the road. I still have a few weapons I'd like to get.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Wow this thread is still alive, took a break from Dark Souls months and months ago. Last time I played it was when the DLC came out artorias of the abyss, after I beat it I just ended up invading people in the chasm of the Abyss for souls to level up my character that or helping people beat Manus as its an easy win and it gives you plenty of loot ie souls.

I used to invade lots of peoples worlds or have them invade mine, but after lv 160 or so there really are not that many people who will invade you or that you run up against, sometimes you end up sitting there constantely trying to invade or be invaded because there really is not that many people at the higher levels. Most of the higher level players who fight or pvp each other I found are usually in the kiln of the first flame, but that was before the update were they made arenas which I never tried all that much because I played it to death before the DLC came out. But ya the game is funner at the earlier levels because there is just so much you can do, and explore, and there general is more players around.

Only thing that sucked in the DLC/update was that they nerfed the darkwood grain ring, now it requires your total weight to be under 25% for it's effects to kick in, which sort of kills a lot of builds, but after the DLC I sort of stopped playing it, and there are plenty of games I sort of started playing but quit because of Dark Souls. I never got around to beating Dragons Dogma same as wantsome said the game is good but it was on the backburner till I did everything and got everything in Dark Souls. Now probably gonna finish it one of these days. Over all just waiting for Dark Souls 2, which should be more of the same only with better graphics, mechanics and everything else.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
Only thing that sucked in the DLC/update was that they nerfed the darkwood grain ring, now it requires your total weight to be under 25% for it's effects to kick in

oooooohhhh man that pissed me off. i have a level 206 build for srength dexterity and stamina. and man when i had to get rid of my ornstein armor to use it i was a bit upset but i got over it. i have melee down pretty good so i usually deal with invaders in the forest 2 at a time (even 3 sometimes).

haven't been able to find a pvp match yet in the coliseum. i would like to see how i'd fare becaue i kinda feel really badass sometimes. can't wait for dark souls 2. these have become my favorite ggames of all time. it's like everything a 3D castlevania should have been

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardstepah

Oh I felt pretty bad ass to, but its a whole new thing in pvp compared to the pve, some of the weapons still work pretty well but most do not, Grant which is pretty useful in the pvp especially against skeletons is utterly and completely useless in the pve against other players.

Easiest thing is to do what everybody does take a normal weapon and use a magic enhancement on it, the balder side sword is really effective, as well as the ugikatanas, though I usually use a heavy weapon like the great sword or the zweihander, and a rapier because its light. Usually I attack them with the great sword and if that failed I would switch the the rapier enhance it and poke them to death, it works great if they have low poise. But mostely I used to switch between the two. Also the black knight great axe is a freaking killer if you know how to use it in both pve and pvp, its probably the most all around strongest weapon in the game for all types of situations.

But now because they nerfed the darkwood grain ring the only way your going to use anything heavy or equip more then one weapon and be able to use that ring is if you don't have any armor on and your stamina needs to be max, which to tell the truth is probably the way to go as armor in this game is kind of pointless when 2 or 3 hits gets you killed regardless. Unless you go full tank mode and become a snail then it probably would be better to do cartwheels around people and back stab them.

i would like to see how i'd fare becaue i kinda feel really badass sometimes. can't wait for dark souls 2. these have become my favorite ggames of all time. it's like everything a 3D castlevania should have been

The first castlevania games that went 3D completely sucked. However the newer games like Castlevania lords of shadow I heard its actually a pretty good game from a friend who is a real fan of the series from back when the first one came out. I have yet to play the game, in fact I rarely play that many video-games now a days. But I probably will one of these days try that game out, there even making a part two of Lords of shadow, were you actually get to play as Dracula and even Alucard or so rumor has it. And even though there gameplay is different, that game is going to be up there with Dark Souls 2 in my opinion.

edit on 3-2-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Dark Souls geek thread

I am taking my SL104 wanderer "Zed" up through Sen's Fortress on NG+.
The Snakemen feel a lot stronger here but the Iron Golem Boss was a piece of cake with Tarkus summoned.

Now heading up through Anor Londo and those goddamned bloody Silver Knights snipers with the Dragonslayer Greatbows. F*k those guys.

Just died like 5 times in a row to those guys, lost 90K souls... it is at this point that the game teaches something to me.

Forget the past mistakes and keep trying to win. That is the only way to the Boss. Through persistence.
edit on 2/9/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: emotes

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I picked this game up as soon as it came out on the 360, all my friends were thinking I was nuts, Skyrim was on everyone's mind. In retrospect none of them ever picked up Dark Souls, I played it for a while and then shelved it after making a second character. I've played several games since and then remembered DS, popped it in and started right up with PVP in Dark Root Basin. The multiplayer seems to have improved, I found out that you can actually enter private chat with others who are playing the game, this helps tremendously. I still haven't beat the game as of yet but I'm really having fun playing against and with other people. There is a lot to be said when you get dropped into a screen with a 3 different factions along with creatures who are all trying to wax you and steal your souls.

Skyrim was good, but there is no real challenge, the game is about discovery...it is like watching tv. Dark Souls is a game you get lost in, you stay involved and become a part of your avatar, I never got that from playing Skyrim.

Side note-the online "community" has proven to be very helpful, sure there are some jerks but most of the guys who just rammed a sword through you are more than willing to help you out if you strike up a conversation. It seems like many of them are on the 2nd or more playthrough.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join