It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Souls

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
best game this year. brutally unforgiving game, but also the most fulfilling experience i've ever had of any game in existence.

tough as a coffin nail, this game challenges you to new hieghts in gaming. ign said it best "dark souls will eat skyrims face". this game is not for the timid, but made for the hardcore gamers of the world. i found it a bit easier than it's predocessor "Demon's Souls" but not by much.

if you want to play one of the greatest games in history, i suggest you pick this one up

edit on 21-10-2011 by Hardstepah because: spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Agree. Best game ever.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'll third that.
I'm still going to skyrim it though...after my GF's done with it. But I don't think I'll enjoy it as much

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardstepah

In my opinion Skyrim wills be better. Bethesda has loads of experience with this type of game.
I'll stick to Elder Scrolls.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

In my opinion Skyrim wills be better. Bethesda has loads of experience with this type of game.

why not play both? while i prefer fallout to the elder scrolls games (was never able to get into ES), skyrim looks somewhat impressive, however; skyrim will be an easy game to conquer with it's hand holding that seems to be the trend in gaming these days.

i will probably play skyrim. the thing that annoys me about it, is everybody has already given it GOTY when it hasn't even been released. not detering me, i will still give a shot. but i can already tell that i wont feel as accomplished or as sucked in as dark souls

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I am a fan of HARD DIFFICULT games to beat

Trailer seems pretty cool .

here is one comment about this compared to other game

"It's the little things that make this so hugely different from Skyrim - there is no escaping into a menu to drink a potion, no quick reload if you make a mistake, no town guards to stop criminal scum, no safe places. Whereas Skyrim is a world you can truly feel relaxed and at home in, Dark Souls exists to make you constantly on edge, alert of your surroundings and fearful of every corner. The atmosphere is totally different. I will enjoy both games very much.
Oppurtunafish"

I love to slice and dice krazy monsters and deamons ! with alot of hoorah sparks flashy fires and big explosions!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

What do you base that opinion on? Did you even try it?
I played through both Morrowind and Oblivion, compared to dark souls, they feel like kindergarden stuff, there is really no contest here. Skyrim seem better than Oblivion, but compared to Dark Souls... no way dude.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Some guy beat dark souls in an hour and a half.

Skyrim will have 300 hours+ of adventuring if you know how to play, besides that, skyrim is also superior in every way

edit on 21-10-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

300+ hours ? of what looking for useless things ?

lol or actual game play ? not reptitive bs look for this at the bottom of the river then come back up and take this differnt route to the same river and find anothe rthing that connects to this but only this time you have to take a third parth to the river?

or actually omg new monsters instence game play 300 hours of non reptitivness?

be serious

and better in every aspect ? that is not a honest opinion

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
there has to be something off about this speed run. there's no way. and you act as if this speed run is a simple task or anybody can do it. i know everybody who has played any elder scrolls game has beaten it easily. i only know one person who has beaten dark souls and demons souls (me).

skyrim will be an enjoyable experience, however; it will be an easy accomplishment like every other game this console generation. too much "make it convenient and easy" for the casual gamers.

like i said i will play skyrim, but it wont hold a candle to the gameplay formula, the multiplayer, the loot and monsters dark souls brings to gaming.

thinking about it, comparing these two is kind of dumb. one is a recycled version of every other game and one is a progression forward in gaming and what gaming is all about, A CHALLENGE

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Oh bro, couldn't agree more, even though I think skyrim is a kind of different game and both have there cool points, and you cant really compare them.

But anyways, I am pleased. Ever since demon souls came out I knew they could take that game and concept to better heights, and they have not disappointed. Now if only they had the money behind them like skyrim has they really can expand on the concept and game if they decide to make any other Souls game in the future.

I am in Anor Londo as of right now about to fight the boss of that place the two knights the big one with the hammer and the one with the spear. And so far I don't know but I to find it a little easier then demon souls was, but I think that's do to the fact that I have played and beat demon souls a couple of times, so I kind of know what to expect from dark souls.

And there is always the new game plus, like in demon souls, and probably like in demon souls it should be twice as hard, and some things you could only get in your second play trough, so I am betting that it will be the same with Dark Souls.

Saying that though, there were some places and times that I died over 20 times trying to complete something or kill something
I got past the chaos witch spider in the catacombs, then when I got to the Ceaseless Discharge I literally got mangled about 20 times in a row, till I figured out that I best be going to someplace else and level up and upgrade my equipment, before I come back and tangle with it again.

In fact I best get off ATS, or else i will never finish the game any time soon.

The only thing I can think of that they should of changed, is the buddy system. they should of let you invite friends to play with you when you summon partners, I mean you can still do that but its a pain in the ass to go trough...i know they did that as a way to keep the game more of a solo experience and as a way to keep the mood make you feel like your alone in that world.

But still it would of been nice to be able to summon people from your friends list, without going trough all the hassle and basically random players to get to the player you wanted.

edit on 21-10-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
i couldn't agree more. i actually bought a copy for me and my friend so we could play it together. there are talks about a patch to remedy the multiplayer so keep your fingers crossed.

that discharge is supposed to be a later fight, but if you run through the small narrow path and get him to notice you, you can quickly run to the end around the corner. when the ground shakes he's vulnerable. repeat til dead

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So is Dark Souls an open world RPG?
For some reason I thought it was going to be a linear beat-em-up like Bayonetta or Dante's Inferno.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Dam was watching a little of those vid's, and the guy literally knows everything in the game and were its at, I mean he must of beat it a couple of times to know all that.

But something is fishy, I mean watch the part were he runs across the bridge guarded by the dragon, he is in the beginning of the game, probably lv 12 or 15 or something in the game about the time you get to that part. And he got hit by the fire and it barely took any of his live bar off....I mean if I go back there in my game and I am about level 45, that dam dragon if I't hits me with its fire It would kill me in one hit most likely running up that bridge like he did. So WTF.

I know when i got there I was about his level and it killed me in one hit, it barely took any health of him, whats up with that.

Unless there is a trick to it, then I think he might be a little more "advanced" in more then just having the benefit of beating the game a couple of times, then normal players have, plus he is basically just running past everyone and only fighting those he must.

But hey on the plus side now I know how to get behind that dragon and open that gate, from watching that vid

Oh and skyrim is going to be a good game no doubt, but dark souls is a whole different animal. Besides in the elder scrolls game there is a lot of grinding, and basically text that you have to go trough in the game missions and in the story line in fact compared to the amount of text that npc have in the elder scrolls games, it might as well be a novel, or a couple of novels.

Dark Souls has little to say, it's more of an action game, # it does not even tell you much of anything about why your there, or were to go. It basically drops you in a world and you walk around and get killed very often, till you find out were to go and what to do, with only a couple of npc's scattered trough out the land here and there.

But i bet you in Skyrim you will have thousands of npc's that you can just go up to and talk, and they will have a story and text to go trough. In fact doing that alone without the traveling and main story, or action and fighting, is going to be like 30 hours or more of the game.

And even with all that I know I can speed run trough the older games pretty fast if I wanted to.

The only reason it would be longer though is because the elder scroll games once you to go trough all the leveling up, text, finding different versions of the same item, and exploring vaster worlds, if you take all that away the game would be about a 30 hr experience for most players, and if you know were everything is yes you could beat it in a couple of hours.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Nah! its a kind of open world rpg, as in you see that place over there, how the funk do I get there without dying. And it has a lot of closed paths till you know how to get around them or trough them.

But its more along the lines of a arcade action rpg, then really an rpg like you know them to be. You really have to know how the enemies act, and how they move, because basically everything in the game can kill you in 2 or one hit.
edit on 21-10-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Now i've had a chance to watch hte vids: Really? Greatest Game???
The greatest game ever leaves dead bodies on the floor rather than them disappearing into nothingness, atleast explode into flames.

I'm not feeling this as the Greatest game ever.

300+ hours in Skyrim atleast gives you the option to use all that time or not, just like Fallout 3.
I know Fallout 3 and Bethesda, I'll stick to what I know.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Dude play the game and find out, though it would take some getting used to it. I got a felling though it wont be your type of game, especially if your the type who get's to moody about things....You might end up breaking your controller dude.

But anyways you act like Dark Souls stole your launch money, kicked your dog, spit on your shoes, and insulted your grandma.

Chill bro, and do as you want, but believe it or not it is a great game, and I played them all even fallout 3. I actually prefer Dark Souls to fallout 3, I never even bothered to finish it though and I got to the end of the game, same with mass effect. Dragon age the elder scrolls games were the only one I did finish though, but I still think there all good games if some are not all that great. But with skyrim and the elder scroll series in comparison to Dark Souls, I think both games have there strong point to argue, but in the end there both fun and cool games.

And I will definitely be playing both.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

I don't get moody about games. (though I do have a mate who threw his x-box original out a 2nd floor window).
Don't read my post as if i'm shouting it, read it as if i'm being questionable.

It's just your all hyping this game yet it doesn't even have a good death animation for enemies and they just disappear, games are way past that now. Seems like some coins should pop into existence from nowhere too.

I may try it one day but theres too many games coming out latley that I want more.

edit on 23-10-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Shouldn't be compared

Skyrim, and the elder scrolls game overall is a roleplaying game more than anything...and it so happens to be also action packed.
Its like comparing fallout to battlefield series...its completely different genres.

Whereas dark souls looks good for medieval fantasy action...skyrim is a nice place to carve out some medieval style existance and become the greatest mage, or flower picker, in all the realm...

I don't know why they decided to compare the two..might as well compare minecraft to world of warcraft...sure, there may be some slight similarities, but the whole direction couldn't be more different.

One thing about TES though that makes their games go from a couple playthroughs to eternal harddrive space is the modding community. Many don't like modding..they tend to think games that get mods are basically unfinished games..but, these are also the types that simply dont grasp what a RPG is...its about basically living a virtual life to your desires...it may take you a year to finish the entire main quest..if ever..meanwhile, your exploring, your modding to make new adventures, AI interactions, etc...and almost not bothered by the main quest...
Someone whom does not understand this concept will burn through the entire main quest in perhaps under a week...then move on to the next...totally missing the point of what seperates a RPG from an action game...a comparison? sure..many/most FPSs will outpreform skyrim. it will seem a bit clunky, overly complex interfaces, and too prone to "cheats" such as town guards (realistic) and others.

So...comparison then...will Dark Souls best Skyrim? in numbers? nope...and in RPG playability? nope..therefore, Skyrim wins considering they are the ones initiating the comparison as if they target the same genre...it is a shameful marketing ploy to get attention to a fairly good game, but that didn't recieve enough attention due to failed marketing..now they are simply trying to snipe some hits by latching on to a monster about to be released...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
oh, and wanted to add one more thing which I hit on in the previous statement.

No mods...let me expand on this

DS has no mods...it is an action game, it forces a single experience, thats it..like it or lump it. Although the vanilla game may be pretty kick arse, it is also a generic experience that gives no flexibility (why can't I add a new stronghold of stoneholm over there with it populated only by cannibalistic dwarves anyhow?!).

To me, this is the pinnicle of what makes a RPG game great...the more modifiable it is (either stand alone or with a "hook" such as script extender), the more interesting it is..because then its not just a game built by a team of devs, but the imagination of the whole modding community that enjoys the game and adds new bits and bobs in that you can pick and choose from.

DS has what...a save game editor so you can cheat and thats about it...lame...

There is no possible way that DS can compete with skyrim...they should have chosen a relevant target, such as maybe battlefield or duke nukem.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join