It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dad believes that the Constitution is just fine without the Second Amendment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Recently I have a debate with my dad over gun rights. He told me although he profess to be an American and supports free speech and other amendemnts he believes that the second amendment should be removed. I tried to counter it by saying that it could protect him from tyranny and crime but he told me that there is really no need for guns let the cops, soldiers, FBI, DHS,ATF etc have the guns, after all guns should be in the hands of professionals. As for tyranny he laugh off and said tyranny will not happen. Even after a criminal incident my neighborhood he is still not convinced. I am only 16 (Turning 17 Nov) I am a supporter of gun rights and I am concerned about the safety of my family. How can I be safe if some jerk decide to show up.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
How can I be safe if some jerk decide to show up.

Well friend, you'd do it the european way, beg for mercy and cry like a little girl hoping the crackhead doesn't rape your sister mother and wife before slaughtering ya'll..
Guns are evil!
edit on 21-10-2011 by AurelioMaghe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Tell your dad the constitution is just fine WITH the Second Amendment too.

Everyone should be able to have a set of bear arms in their home.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I don't agree with your Father....I think we need the 2nd amendment.....(the right to keep and bear arms).....(arms) meaning guns.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

sadly he believes that the 2nd amendment is outdated and can only apply to the 1700s-1800s

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

reply to post by LeTan

sadly he believes that the 2nd amendment is outdated and can only apply to the 1700s-1800s

I did not realize freedoms could be outdated.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Without the second amendment all of the other amendments are meaningless, because you would have no way of stopping them from being stripped away.
The last thing anyone should want to hear is "I'm from insert alphabet agency here, and I'm here to help".

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The American Revolutionaries overturned an overreaching government with the help of guns.
Perhaps the Second Amendment was put into place in case another overreaching government came to pass?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Your dad is a clever man!! Mostly because he realizes that times have changed, and easy access to guns is causing a ton of deaths and injuries every year...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

He's apparently sadly also not aware of the number of times armed citizens have successfully defended themselves (often without firing a shot), how armed citizens could have prevented school massacres had schools not been unarmed vict, er, I mean "Gun-Free" zones, and how many times throughout human history the disarming of a society has led to mass atrocities.

If you have a sister (or if you can present a hypothetical one to him), I'd give him this scenario. She's in town. There's a sex offender across the street with intentions. Would he rather she have a cell phone, or would he rather she have a handgun? He needs to remember, the police are always (hopefully, anyway) only minutes away when you need them in seconds - and they usually deal with crime AFTER the fact, instead of preventing it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think your dad is a reasonable man. After all, a lot of countries do fine with out civilians carrying firearms. However, America loves their guns.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Thats the view of a lot of people. Yet when it comes down to it when your 18 buy a rifle when your 21 buy a pistol. Get a pellet rifle to practice your BRM(basic rifle marksmanship) Other then that you can't convince someone thats drank the koolaid. Are there any gun clubs in your area? If so they have family day/ visitor days you could got to. Also there maybe indoor gun ranges that may help you learn safe handling. What does your mother feel about it? would she go with you to shoot or maybe an older sibling.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Your dad obviously has never heard the saying "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

link   

Originally posted by TheCounselor
The American Revolutionaries overturned an overreaching government with the help of guns.
Perhaps the Second Amendment was put into place in case another overreaching government came to pass?

That is EXACTLY why it’s in place…to afford Americans the ability to defend themselves and the constitution from enemies, both foreign and DOMESTIC. Amen!

link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
I think your dad is a reasonable man. After all, a lot of countries do fine with out civilians carrying firearms. However, America loves their guns.

Right... because obviously criminals in those other countries do not have access to firearms either..

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkansas

None my place is very liberal. Guns are kinda frown upon also my mom is okay with my dad's belief. So sucks for me and I have no older sibling and even If I have one he or she might be liberal
edit on 21-10-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AurelioMaghe

You obviously haven't seen the decrease in gun related crime when firearms are banned.
edit on 21-10-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I always laugh at the "guns protect us from having our rights taken away" as if the US population is any more free than people in countries where guns aren't as available as in the US

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Arkansas

None my place is very liberal. Guns are kinda frown upon also my mom is okay with my dad's belief. So sucks for me and I have no older sibling and even If I have one he or she might be liberal
edit on 21-10-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

In that case, out of respect for your family & friends' liberal opinions, if I ever move into the neighborhood I promise never to use my guns to prevent or stop any theft or violent crime occurring at their households.

*nod*

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Your father should perhaps review his history. Nowhere in history has the restriction of arms from the people ever been successful for any substatial length of time. This is simply because anything can be a weapon. I my right to carry a firearm was removed, I can make a potato cannon... or a dart gun... or any number of other things that can be just as lethal. I can also make armor to protect myself from rogue government officials.

So to restrict guns would be a pointless excercise of governmental control that would accomplish nothing of any real merit.

Also, remember the principle of "Locks only keep HONEST people honest".

BTW, I personally never had much use for a gun. I do not own one. That does not mean my household is unarmed.
edit on 10-21-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join