It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Testing the atmosphere outside your bunker kit do it yourself for 100 bucks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ok so I found a place that sells really cheap sensors, and there is this thing called an Aurduino that is like an automation kit, that allows you make all sorts of devices.

So here is one link
How to smell pollutants

and in this project he uses the Arduino an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.

In Canada they are about 29 bucks but you can get them anywhere

Here is a place where you can get sensors for 7 bucks for it including one that tests for air quality which means it tests for a lot of things all at once.

This stuff is really cool and there are lots of projects you can do at Instructibles with the Arduino.

There is probably lots of software also available for free and open source for anything you want to make.
Like automated detection systems.
If you want a perimeter light fence, 3 feet off the ground around your bunker, , to trip a silent alarm you could do that.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is cool but you can call me spoiled, because I think these sensors would be mostly useless. The only one I can see being really helpful is the natural gas sensor, although we can smell that normally with our noses. Of course I am talking about processed natural gas with odorant added to it, in the case of a natural gas well leak you would not smell anything, but how often does that actually transpire?

If you really want a good system, you will need dozens of accurate sensors capable of identifying an entire plethora of contaminants, anywhere from mercury to radioactive pollutants.

In all practical senses this is extremely expensive due to the tons of potential contaminants you may want to look out for.

I do however believe that everyone should be supplied this type of equipment and that humans should make it a normal procedure to scan their environment and take whatever actions to deal with it. But that's a pie in the sky ain't it?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
This is cool but you can call me spoiled, because I think these sensors would be mostly useless. The only one I can see being really helpful is the natural gas sensor, although we can smell that normally with our noses. Of course I am talking about processed natural gas with odorant added to it, in the case of a natural gas well leak you would not smell anything, but how often does that actually transpire?

If you really want a good system, you will need dozens of accurate sensors capable of identifying an entire plethora of contaminants, anywhere from mercury to radioactive pollutants.

In all practical senses this is extremely expensive due to the tons of potential contaminants you may want to look out for.

I do however believe that everyone should be supplied this type of equipment and that humans should make it a normal procedure to scan their environment and take whatever actions to deal with it. But that's a pie in the sky ain't it?

Well in the case of survival, since we don't know what the apocalypse will entail, and since everything costs a fortune, you have to be resourceful.

So in this example it tests for VOC's which are volatile organic compounds. Thats might be bio-weapons right there. Or gases from a chemical fire in the air blows your way while the city burns.

What you want to do is have a detector as he says in the video there that can detect dangers other than just smoke like a smoke detector.

So the one link I posted checks for atmospheric quality and it costs 6 bucks. Well thats cheap because most systems to test if the air is breathable are over 2 thousand dollars. You know something like this explorer

So the idea is, is it safe to go outside? To let your kids go outside after some event? Do you just go out there like they used to in the old 50's sci fi movies, send one guy out, he turns and says, "its ok, the atmosphere is just like earth!"

Reality is that if you go out there, you may collapse immediately and die.

So if you can make a detector system for 100 bucks, that will tell you when you must close the windows right now, that would be a good thing to have. Now for me, its part of a larger project.

Here is another cool device.

Ultrasonic motion detector rangefinder good up to 18 meters. so 60 feet.

It will track anything moving, up to 60 feet away. Without a red beam like an infrared laser targeting device.

And how much is it? Long Range Ultrasonic sensor 2 for $3.90

So for me, I want to outfit a mobile safe room. And so motion sensors are a good idea to see who is outside the truck. They can track a moving subject and record video.

The atmosphere sensor so that I know its safe to open the vents after or during a fire in the area.

CO2 sensor, so that I know the air is still safe to breathe inside the truck.

O2 sensor to see if I am creating too much Oxygen with my O2 electrolysis generator.

A Hydrogen sensor to see if my hydrogen venting system is leaking explosive gas into the truck.

etc. Simple and fun projects to do with the Arduino and cheap like borsch.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Do it yourself for $2!!

Buy a canary, tie a string to its foot, toss the bird and some birdseed out the door, and check back on it in an hour or two.

Frogs work pretty good too. For sea water, they use Sea Urchins. I know folks at giant parks like Sea World, and they still use Sea Urchins as their first test before adding water into the large tanks. If the Sea Urchins survive, they add the water, if the Sea Urchins die, they begin thorough testing of the water to see what is wrong with it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Do it yourself for $2!!

Buy a canary, tie a string to its foot, toss the bird and some birdseed out the door, and check back on it in an hour or two.

Frogs work pretty good too. For sea water, they use Sea Urchins. I know folks at giant parks like Sea World, and they still use Sea Urchins as their first test before adding water into the large tanks. If the Sea Urchins survive, they add the water, if the Sea Urchins die, they begin thorough testing of the water to see what is wrong with it.

It is certainly worth my while to get a canary in a cage, for the camper truck safe room, and at some point, expose it to see if the air is safe outside the truck after the detector has gone off.

Otherwise, how would you know when it IS safe to go outside after? You might have an expensive detection unit, but my budget is about the cost of a canary.
They aren't too much trouble to look after.
You would want a compartment in the side of the truck with two sliding doors. The outside of the cabinet is outside to the air, but it has a screen. To keep debris from coming in. Maybe even radioactive dust.

You open the compartment from inside, slip in the canary, and open the outside slider and hope for the best.
Better have a mating pair as a backup in case things get real ugly.
Same if you go into a parkade.

Chlorine gas settles low in places like basements and parkades. And who knows what else might be in there that is harmful. Maybe natural gas that is ready to explode.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: added info

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

If the source of radioactivity is a bomb, then you should be good in 1 to 2 weeks for short jaunts outside with skin covered and a basic mask. Less time if you get good rain, more if dust is lingering around and blowing a lot. If the source is continuous like a Reactor, then you are going to have to brave it and become mobile, you can't wait 10,000 years for it to clear up some.

If the contaminant is Chlorine or Natural Gas (stored, not from a natural source) or Sulfur, then at least it has an apparent odor.

If the source is a volcanic vent or earth crevice, then the canary becomes more necessary. There are plenty of gasses that are completely odorless and colorless. Also, if you become mobile, you may not realize you have driven into an unsafe area.

Can't hurt to keep a couple of canaries around. But, they are not very durable. You could look for wild birds and mammals. Insects won't tell you anything, but amphibians and birds and mammals will tell you a lot!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

If the source of radioactivity is a bomb, then you should be good in 1 to 2 weeks for short jaunts outside with skin covered and a basic mask. Less time if you get good rain, more if dust is lingering around and blowing a lot. If the source is continuous like a Reactor, then you are going to have to brave it and become mobile, you can't wait 10,000 years for it to clear up some.

If the contaminant is Chlorine or Natural Gas (stored, not from a natural source) or Sulfur, then at least it has an apparent odor.

If the source is a volcanic vent or earth crevice, then the canary becomes more necessary. There are plenty of gasses that are completely odorless and colorless. Also, if you become mobile, you may not realize you have driven into an unsafe area.

Can't hurt to keep a couple of canaries around. But, they are not very durable. You could look for wild birds and mammals. Insects won't tell you anything, but amphibians and birds and mammals will tell you a lot!

Thats true, if you run out of canaries you could trap some other bird. Good thinking.

The outside cabinet could have a quick shut trap door. Put some bird seed in there. The bird goes in to get the seed. The door drops quickly trapping another little helper.

Insects, yes cockroaches wouldn't tell you anything. They just keep on goin.

One of the reasons why I want to prepare this safe room armored vehicle with as much sensor equipment and motion detectors is because the people will be just as dangerous as the environment.

Here is an example just from reality without the SHTF

Armored truck robberies....
These types of robberies can often involve physical violence. In an armored car robbery, it is typical for both the robbers and those being robbed to be armed, which experts say increases the chances of injury. One survey of 112 armored car robberies in the U.S. indicated that 123 armored car guards were killed.

O kay, so that means, that if someone attacks the truck, even an armored car, there is a damn good chance you are going to get killed.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: added info

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I know of a cheaper version and all it costs is around $15.00. It features a parakeet in a small cage. Although, I have to admit that it might not work for biological weapons or genetically modified viruses only targeted at humans.

I think at that point, you just need to admit you're done for.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I know of a cheaper version and all it costs is around $15.00. It features a parakeet in a small cage. Although, I have to admit that it might not work for biological weapons or genetically modified viruses only targeted at humans.

I think at that point, you just need to admit you're done for.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

The more I read up on this stuff the more I think we are done for anyway.

I suppose making the stuff is a fun hobby and probably more fun than using it when TSHTF.

I ordered a bunch of radio equipment too so I could be a field reporter in this truck. High hopes.

Especially after reading the stats on the survival rate of armored truck guards. More dangerous than the life of a parakeet.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Want to see what the big boys use for this?

When the SHTF don't loot the smoke shop, hunt for one of these...time is of the essence

Hapsite

"Lab-quality results-in the field, in less than 10 minutes. In fact, all the operator has to do is push a button to begin identifying and quantifying volatile organic compounds (VOCs), toxic industrial chemicals (TICs), toxic industrial materials (TIMs), chemical warfare agents (CWAs), and select semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs). HAPSITE ER helps you quickly identify threats for fast response in emergency situations.|'

portable

Know why you can't find the price list for that baby? Its 95 thousand dollars.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I totally agree and apologize if my initial comment sounded critical and well, possibly spoiled by my imagination.

I agree that it is better to have something rather than to have nothing.

Even a little information is better than no information at all.
Agree 100%.

If I had an extra 100$, I'd throw me one of these rigs together.
But while I am dreaming, why not shoot for the moon?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yeah i agree with get on this one get a canary and a camera and sit it outside your bunker if it dies then don't go outside for less than 50 bucks.
edit on 21-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I totally agree and apologize if my initial comment sounded critical and well, possibly spoiled by my imagination.

I agree that it is better to have something rather than to have nothing.

Even a little information is better than no information at all.
Agree 100%.

If I had an extra 100$, I'd throw me one of these rigs together.
But while I am dreaming, why not shoot for the moon?

Well considering the Hapsite portable used by professionals is 95,000 bucks, I think I am just going to hope they tell me what they find.

So I bought a scanner. To listen to them talking.

new topics

top topics

join