It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon workers to join Occupy Wall Street protest

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheThirdAdam

Well, you have the right to protest pink and purple tank tops if you want to, that is your right, it may be stupid to me, but I would support your right to do it...
However freedom is over rated huh?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

From my above link....................

Verizon has 196,000 workers, with 135,000 of those non-union. The wireless division, which wasn’t affected by the strike, is mostly non-union.

So.............61000 UNION employees are going down there,and protesting..........

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

From my above link....................

Verizon has 196,000 workers, with 135,000 of those non-union. The wireless division, which wasn’t affected by the strike, is mostly non-union.

So.............61000 UNION employees are going down there,and protesting..........

Yep I just read this from the article.

The strike is a result of a tough position Verizon took in its attempt to extract concessions from its workers. The company is attempting to change the contract terms to allow it to more easily fire workers, tie pay increases to job performance, halt pension accruals this year, and require union workers to contribute to health-plan premiums. The changes are indicative of the pressures the landline business face, with revenue declining amid people switching to wireless and Internet-based phone services.

Source
I don't think I qualify for the job.

I don't have electrical work experience. I also do not think the Company is being all that unreasonable...but that's on them now I am off to learn electrical stuff so I can take their job...yeah it would take me another 2 yrs no thanks lol.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Well, you have the right to protest pink and purple tank tops if you want to, that is your right, it may be stupid to me, but I would support your right to do it...

Not really sure where you are coming from there or how that pertains to me but i agree with you none the less. I support their right to do what they are doing but I sure wish they had taken a moment to look at the big picture before jumping head first into a once in a lifetime protest with such a flemsy idiology.

I say once in a lifetime because by the time this fails (and it will fail) they will have given uncle sam the reasons to restrict our rights to protest so this won't happen again. You may say I'm just crazy for thinking that but mark my words, there will be consequences in the form of regulations on how one can protest.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheThirdAdam

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Not really sure where you are coming from there or how that pertains to me but i agree with you none the less. I support their right to do what they are doing but I sure wish they had taken a moment to look at the big picture before jumping head first into a once in a lifetime protest with such a flemsy idiology.

I say once in a lifetime because by the time this fails (and it will fail) they will have given uncle sam the reasons to restrict our rights to protest so this won't happen again. You may say I'm just crazy for thinking that but mark my words, there will be consequences in the form of regulations on how one can protest.

Agree, but they could also learn something too, by speaking to others there that do know what is going on (and I still believe that some involved DO have some knowledge on the problems of this country) I think there are still some RP supporters out there, yes?
Maybe it will be a learning experience for them and then they will help achieve something.

I cannot tell at this point?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

One can only hope. My question is why is it impossible to hijack this and move it in the right dirrection? I mean, if the unions can take it over to serve their intrest, why couldn't some reasonable working class americans jump in and take it where it needs to go? My only conclusion: it is because they have jobs?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
To be honest, everyone should join in...who in his right mind would argue that fighting against corporations completely taking over the US government is a bad thing?? You'd have to be nuts.

So go angry Verizon workers

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Exactly what I was getting at there are some very level headed knowledegeable people there so they could actually do just exactly this.
I am still hopefull I haven't seen it completely hijacked yet.
But maybe I am wrong.
Right now I support the idea behind it (protesting rights).At the very least.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Why are they angry? What ethical right do they have to be angry? If they don't like their rate of pay or working conditions, they are free to seek employment elsewhere. I seriously doubt that they are being forced to work for an unreasonably low wage.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

No, that is quite ok.
I am part of the solution, not part of the problem.
I stand beside my fellow Americans that are being taken advantage of.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheThirdAdam
reply to post by MrXYZ

Why are they angry? What ethical right do they have to be angry? If they don't like their rate of pay or working conditions, they are free to seek employment elsewhere. I seriously doubt that they are being forced to work for an unreasonably low wage.

What are they angry about? Are you serious???

They are angry at corporations using politicians as mere sock puppets. At one point, the government used to SERVE THE PEOPLE, but nowadays they serve corporations.

It's the biggest heist in history!!

They are sick and tired of having to foot the bill for Wall Street and companies like Lockhead Martin! The wars are massively unpopular, cost a fortune the US government can't really afford (so they have to take that money from the people in the end), and don't increase security at all...the only thing they accomplish is making sure defence contractors who donated to politicians get their return

They are sick and tired of wasting their time voting when it doesn't matter who's in power given that they are ALL BOUGHT!

I'm using Perry as an example, but they're all bought...some more openly (Perry, lol) than others, but that's the only difference. Democrats, republicans...tea party clowns...doesn't matter, all sock puppets of corporate America.

I'm not sure where you get your "news" from, but I can't believe people still don't get why people are mad

As for you believing they get compensated just fine at their jobs...you might wanna look up working poors, they aren't included in the unemployment statistics, yet there's 6 million (!!!!) of them who have jobs that pay too little to pay for food and cost of living.

Or take me for example. I work in real estate and get a nice salary, but since the crisis, I work 12-14hrs per day for the same amount of money...all the while unemployment is rising! Companies have realized that they can now exploit workers because those workers can't risk losing their job. So whereas before the crisis they hired 2 guys doing my job, I'm now working for 2, which results in more PROFITS...which of course is all they care about. Does that sound right to you??

And lastly:

They HATE that the banks have now shifted the bad debt of their investment banking departments over to the retail banks. Why? Because once they accept the losses of that bad debt, which portion of the balance sheet will make up for it? The investment banking department's good investments? Nope!! The guys having their accounts at retail banks, which means you, me, and everyone else.

So they take your money, gamble with it, and if they win, the managers get MASSIVE boni (I know, I got a few). And if they lose, it's no biggie, they can just take the money of taxpayers and account holders and make up for the losses. Great system

edit on 21-10-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Don't pick on Lockheed Martin.

They are working on projects that will save the USA.

Hint: We have the technology and the means to travel to the asteroid belt out past Mars.
It doesn't look anything like that piece of junk Space Shuttle that is now in a museum.

Learn to look for the big picture.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by MrXYZ

Don't pick on Lockheed Martin.

They are working on projects that will save the USA.

Hint: We have the technology and the means to travel to the asteroid belt out past Mars.
It doesn't look anything like that piece of junk Space Shuttle that is now in a museum.

Learn to look for the big picture.

You have to be kidding me! So you are ok with them spending your and everyone else's money on pointless wars that dont' make the citizens any safer? How did Libya make you safer? How did Iraq (no WMDs, remember!) safer? How did Afghanistan make you safer...especially given the terrorists hide out in Pakistan and elsewhere?

This cost everyone $1.2 TRILLION DOLLARS!!! For what???

And what about those $75 trillion of risky derivatives Bank of America account holders are now guaranteeing with their deposits? They never invested in the investment subsidiary, only get a mere 0.5-1.5% deposit return, yet have to foot the bill once those $75 trillion of derivatives collapse? How do you justify that? Do you applaud Wall Street for this?

For crying out loud, please use some common sense!!

And if those deposit holder don't cover it, then the FDIC will step in...which means every single tax payer is liable. Happy times, no?
edit on 22-10-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

There is over $25 Trillion in rare earth minerals located in the asteroid belt.
We are going to go get it.
-----------
It turns out we saw this financial crisis thingy coming a long, long, long time ago.
It was very easy to predict. All you need is spreadsheet.
We actually know what we are doing.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Oh yeah, the B of A crisis.
-------
Well, when B of A goes belly up then the idiots who left their money in there will
get the FDIC minimum.

You know this kind of reminds me of the Savings and Loan scandal of the 1980s.
Remember?

It wasn't the end of the world.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

There is over $25 Trillion in rare earth minerals located in the asteroid belt.
We are going to go get it.
-----------
It turns out we saw this financial crisis thingy coming a long, long, long time ago.
It was very easy to predict. All you need is spreadsheet.
We actually know what we are doing.

So wait...you claim that:

We spent $1.2 trillion dollars under the pretence to make the US "safer", spend an additional $3.5 trillion on Wall Street bailouts, seriously risk losing $75 trillion through Bank of America's collapse alone, are already adding bailouts worth $1 trillion per year to it as it stands....and all that so we can get $25 trillion in minerals from an asteroid.

Yes, I guess that makes perfect sense

The math doesn't stack up, and why would you let your own citizens suffer just so you can pay the bill of that suffering in the end?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I see the $75 trillion as an air ball.

That check will never be written. You might as well make it $900 Gizillion.

We will make it through this financial crisis just fine.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Those $75 trillion aren't a myth for crying out loud, they are REAL INVESTMENTS. It's not an "opinion", it's a FACT. And even worse, that's just Bank of America alone. Do you really believe only Bank of America made those risky derivative investments?

Just because $75 trillion is too large a number for you to comprehend doesn't mean it isn't real!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

reply to post by MrXYZ

Those $75 trillion aren't a myth for crying out loud, they are REAL INVESTMENTS. It's not an "opinion", it's a FACT. And even worse, that's just Bank of America alone. Do you really believe only Bank of America made those risky derivative investments?

Just because $75 trillion is too large a number for you to comprehend doesn't mean it isn't real!

I still think its an air ball.

The banks shouldn't be making those risky derivative investments.
It like giving a baby a hand gun.

They really don't know what to do with it and someone is going to get hurt.

You worry too much.

Go unplug and relax.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

The banks shouldn't be making those risky derivative investments.
It like giving a baby a hand gun.

I'm not sure you realize this, but this is EXACTLY what the OWS movement says...you are on the SAME SIDE!!

But right now, they are like a baby who was given a hand gun...and OWS wants to raise awareness of the issue, because the mass media hasn't done that job at all. Politicians allow WS to do those crazy derivative investments because they are BOUGHT, which is the other thing OWS is against. Do you see why you and them are in agreement on this???

You are essentially speaking out AGAINST the OWS movement while the content of what bothers you is actually in favor of the movement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join