It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cybercommand chief opposes U.N. net control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Cybercommand chief opposes U.N. net control

www.washingtontimes.com

The commander of the U.S. Cyber Command said Thursday that he does not favor giving the United Nations the power to regulate the Internet.

: “No. I’m not for regulating, per se. I’m concerned about it, and this is a tough question. I would say, generally speaking, I’m not into that portion of regulating as you would espouse.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Fantastic news and a blow to the states who want to stem the free flow of information, namely China and Russia with some support from Middle East countries.

Clearly these regimes find the web a threat, something impossible to control and thus which to control it in the same manner they control all media.

Should this come before the UN with the support of the US, those controls would likely been allowed as the UN seems to support most dictatorial regimes over free societies.

Obviously this general's position came from the White House and it is an instance where the Obama administration has been absolutely spot on to recognize the threat to global freedom that UN regulation of the internet would cause.

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

One: its not his decison to make,
Two: its probably a smoke screen

No one should have the right to quell free speech, the only people who are afraid of free speech are the corrupt. And the UN is comprised from the corrupt of society.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
2 steps forward, 1 step back:

"I think the UN should regulate the internet." - "Nooo, that's way too harsh."
"Ok, then, maybe a little portion of it, just to make it safer." - "Yea, that's much better."
"Deal?" - "Deal!"

Get the picture?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
Fantastic news and a blow to the states who want to stem the free flow of information, namely China and Russia with some support from Middle East countries.

China and Russia and the Middle East?

I'm a bit more concerned about Pentagon Cyber Command regulating my internet.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by dolphinfan

China and Russia and the Middle East?

I'm a bit more concerned about Pentagon Cyber Command regulating my internet.

Yes, you should be more concerned about that. Because they have blocked you from viewing websites(such as this one) critical of the US. Because they force you into voting for a one party system, and have a media blackout when it comes to the opposition. You should be more concerned about the US controlling the internet, because the Pentagon would make you read only what was approved by the government.

I say this too often, but GET A LIFE. This is a REAL issue in other countries, stop pretending that the evil boogeyman that is the Military Industrial Complex is going to regulate what you can see and what you can click on. There is no danger of that happening in the US, but it is NORMAL in other countries where the state controls the internet.
What is the point of your post? Would you rather have to log in through the Great Firewall of China?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

The point of my post is that I am Canadian and I don't want US Cybercommand regulating my Internet. I see no threat from Russia or China regulating my Internet. Clear enough for you?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

You are a genius, and a typical Canadian. Where in the article does it say the Pentagon is going to do that? China and Russia regulate their citizens internet, and the US does not. But you are afraid of the Pentagon controlling your internet. Typical anti-US propaganda.
edit on 22-10-2011 by steppenwolf86 because: better

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

You are a genius, and a typical Canadian. Where in the article does it say the Pentagon is going to do that? China and Russia regulate their citizens internet, and the US does not. But you are afraid of the Pentagon controlling your internet. Typical anti-US propaganda.
edit on 22-10-2011 by steppenwolf86 because: better

Who said I read your article? I've read many articles before reporting that US Cybercommand is trying to claim ownership of the internet so they can regulate who sees what. That's my point.

And you can take your "typical Canadian" crap and stick it.

PS: US cybercommand may not regulate American internet, but it certainly monitors it. It even monitors private internet traffic in other countries, including my own. But I guess that's just propaganda, right?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Of course they monitor everything. I would expect nothing less. This is the world we live in, and a great deal of intelligence can be gathered this way that would otherwise be unavailable.

But show me something concrete that says they have plans to establish the ability to censor the internet within the United States. What would motivate the US Military to do that? You have made your anti US position quite clear, but how about some sources instead of simply blowing smoke?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I favor giving internet regulation only to "Colossus".

"Colossus: The Forbin Project"
www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

Of course they monitor everything. I would expect nothing less. This is the world we live in, and a great deal of intelligence can be gathered this way that would otherwise be unavailable.

But show me something concrete that says they have plans to establish the ability to censor the internet within the United States. What would motivate the US Military to do that? You have made your anti US position quite clear, but how about some sources instead of simply blowing smoke?

By saying "anti-US" all the time, you sound really annoying. I'm talking about US Cybercommand, a Pentagon division, whose activities are apparently mostly carried out by the NSA. You act like I'm just riding some anti-US band wagon so I can bitch about anything American. It's not my fault that I was born right beside their empire, which makes me subject to their sphere of power moreso than say, somebody in Poland

And really, there's articles all over the place about internet regulation in the US. I'm not talking about the US though, I'm talking about all of the internet which US cybercommand thinks it owns and can control, hence why they said UN regulation of the internet is a bad idea. US thinks UN regulations on anything is a bad idea, because apparently the US should dictate everything.

Net neutrality is about to end, you will be restricted online

There's a good start. You need to understand how the system works before you can understand the bigger picture. Corporations are dictating "net neutrality" in the US, and they have government backing after extensive lobbying in Washington and judicial challenges. It is US Cybercommand's duty to protect American cyber interests, and to enforce American rules.

Like I said, I don't really care about the rest of the world, its here in Canada that matters to me. Modern Canadian politics tends to model itself after American decisions for various reasons, and so any changes to net neutrality in the US matter to us.

If you want more sources, then try looking for them. They're not non-existant. It's even covered in the MSM sometimes. I'm not an expert when it comes to cyber security, so I'm done with this discussion. Anything I say is anti-American anyways, right?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Im a US citizen by birth married to a Polish National, living in Poland and working for a US company. So once again, what do they say about assuming things? As I stated before, pure genius. Keep rolling your eyes buddy.

Internet censorship will never happen in the US, and the fact you are more alarmed about what the Pentagon/NSA might do than ACTUAL censorship going on in other parts of the world conveys an anti-american attitude. My point is why be afraid of what the US might do when other countries already do it? Why not speak out against China, for instance? Instead you post speculation about what the United States might do.

top topics

join