It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 families and the RNC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
In watching the RNC coverage tonight I have mixed feeling about the three stories we heard regarding the 9/11 events. I am the first one to say that we have not done enough to remember the victims as a nation. Too often I think we forget what that day was like and the hell the families must still go through.

With that said my first thought at this lengthy presentation is that it seems inappropriate. Not that we should not honor them, nor did they endorse Bush but the mood in that hall has changed and minds at home may change as well. No one should profit from 9/11. Not a manufacturer, film maker or politician.

I would have rather seen this as a national tribute on 9/11 instead of this campaign ploy.

Bush could talk about his role on that day, as can the speakers.

BTW: John McCain ROCKS!!! I wish he had been able to do better in 2000.

[edit on 8/30/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I just hope the Republicans will address something else apart from 9/11, Afghanistan, the troops and Iraq in their convention. It seems as though this makes up about 80 percent of the speech content.

Do they have something else to talk about?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
I just hope the Republicans will address something else apart from 9/11, Afghanistan, the troops and Iraq in their convention. It seems as though this makes up about 80 percent of the speech content.

Do they have something else to talk about?

C'mon Otts, if they don't talk about that stuff then they'll have to talk about things like the economy and the deficit. Don't think Bush wants to do that.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
No one should profit from 9/11. Not a manufacturer, film maker or politician.

I agree...I thought this exact thing concerning Moore.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
hehe, Intrepid, the key words of this convention are 9/11, Iraq, troops, patriot, security, Afghanistan, terrorism. Nothing else.

Btw, How do you know about Asterix? Es-tu Canadien franais?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
in all fairness intrepid, the DNC wasn't much more then typical democratic rhetoric (meaning standard political blah blah blah, not specific to the democratic party) and vietnam talk.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
A shame isn't it. There should be some force of government that forces the parties to discuss the issues, not to let them slip by. French Canadian Grandmother with a sense of humor.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
so this is what the democratic discourse has gotten to... posturing by both parties and smearing your adversary, instead of exchanging ideas.

Yeah, let's go teach democracy to Iraqis

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
BTW: John McCain ROCKS!!! I wish he had been able to do better in 2000.

I guess I just don't understand this dire love some people feel for John McCain. One moment he is against Bush, and the next he speaks of him as the second messiah. I mean this guy seems to "flip-flop" more than Kerry! Bush demoralizes his war record and his person, so McCain comes back and says "vote for Bush"...c'mon...anyone with a little self respect would be even slightly preturbed.

John McCain is just another politician that tells everyone what the want to hear, when they want to hear it. As far as I am concerned he is no better than all the other lying politicians.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
G-Man is up and swinging; I hope that there is some variety within the message, a 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq, terrorism drumbeat would be a disservice, although more pragmatic than John Kerry's four month camping trip recollections.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
That was a digusting appeal of emotions which came across as a desperate attempt by a flailing government to play to the emotions and empathy of the crowd, resurrect the scars of one of the most sorrowful moments in all of America's history and politicize same in the name of countenancing a misguided war.

To make matters worse, they chose three women knowing full well that nothing would tug more at the heart strings of the listeners, yet they appeared out of place and animated. I would imagine that for the 15 minutes or so these women spoke, there was hardly an American listening to, and or watching, who was mindful that the events of the evening revolved around a presidential candidate.

On this the first day the the RNC, it is clear to me that the agenda is to play to emotion, revenge and religion.

As for John McCain's speech, I come away very disappointed, and I am not an American. It was filled with disinformation and vicissitude.

When will the two parties start addressing the real issues that confront the nation?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This may be OT, but boy there were a lot of empty seats in Madison Square Garden tonight! Dunno if they showed them on other channels, but C-Span made it pretty clear.. that place was barely 2/3's full.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
rule 927: For optimal political effect, waste no time appealling to [the electorate's] intellects, grab and hook using emotions and don't let go. Ride the tiger to the Forbidden City [Beijing/Washington].

From the "Wang Chu" : politics for the dynasties

[edit on 30-8-2004 by slank]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Well that is the job of political candidates to exploit what can make them look good in the public eyes, so 9/11 made bush a hero and Rudy too, so lets use the people sense of patriotism to remind them the tragedy of that horrible day and to touch the soft spot in everybodys hart.

Politicians are very good at manipulating the masses.

By the way does anybody remember Rudy before the 9/11? Well it seems that it only takes a despicable act of terrorism to turn somebody into an Icon an idol and a hero.

People forgot who Rudy was and the scandal of his wife and mistress before the 9/11, and also the deficit he left in NY after he his time as a mayor.

He's probably dreaming of becoming president one day.

new topics

top topics

join