It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I miss old MTV... What the HELL Happened???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by 2manyquestions

sorry - why do we need MTV? we have youtube...

I believe its called Evolution

Why do we need MTV when we have Youtube? Maybe because I don't feel like stepping away from what I'm doing every 4 minutes so I can search and change it to the next video. If I could compile a list of videos I want to play non-stop from Youtube, maybe I wouldn't need MTV. Until that becomes a possibility and until streaming high definition videos from Youtube is an uninterrupted process, MTV is still desired in my household.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

Why do we need MTV when we have Youtube? Maybe because I don't feel like stepping away from what I'm doing every 4 minutes so I can search and change it to the next video. If I could compile a list of videos I want to play non-stop from Youtube, maybe I wouldn't need MTV. Until that becomes a possibility and until streaming high definition videos from Youtube is an uninterrupted process, MTV is still desired in my household.

You can make playlists but it takes a little effort. However you watch what you want.

I do the same with tv I download all my shows and before I dinner I make a playlist of 3 or 4 shows I want to watch, no commercials and I watch what I want (Its probably not very legal though) (screw em)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Do people still watch television? That's like listening to music on a record player or starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybro
Do people still watch television? That's like listening to music on a record player or starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together.
My GF does. I'm still prying her from nostalgia and neurosis. At least Cool TV is tolerable.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybro

Of course they do..... the new TVs are so crisp and clear, you can almost see the atoms that make up Snookie's nose hairs. If you want to watch those nose hairs in 3D, you just may be able to. It's a new and exciting way to experience the world of television.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

ok so why do you need Video's if you're doing something else? Its not like you're watching them....youtube does playlists too, as mentioned above

Not good enough? Make a music playlist on itunes? (or another similar service?)

Can't decide what to listen to? you have any idea how many free radio stations there are online?

Anyway, there's a guy on page one, who said MTV sucking is old news. He's right. I can't remember the last time MTV was any good. Pre-1997, I know that much. Long time.... mourning period been over.

Thanks for catching up though!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Old MTV is Alive and Well - in the form of "pirate" website Broccoli TV .com www.broccoli-tv.com...

The website slogan is "Broccoli TV is - MTV - The way it Used to be"

They play all 80's and 90's music videos that MTV used to ;play 24/7. Many of these videos were recorded professionally from MTV streams and other sources like VH-1 and in stereo.

Watching Broccoli TV is like a trip to the past that never ends. It is The Only site I have seen to mimic MTV before MTV turned to crap.

Now and then they have a commercial spot advertising Broccoli TV itself but that's all the ads your going to see. This is no more than station identification type stuff. The plus side to these ads are they showcase the talents of the very beautiful and talented Jeon Ji Hyun a popular young Korean actress.

Check her loveliness out then go to Broccoli TV to relive the memories. You need to download and install the TVU Player Plugin to view the videos, but it's free and takes a few seconds.

These are two of the Broccoli ads you will see.

edit on 22-10-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Thanks for the link! I'm trying it right now. So far the only problem is that it seems to break up a lot, and features 80's music only. The picture is pretty small too. Didn't see anyplace where I can maximize the window.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

ok so why do you need Video's if you're doing something else? Its not like you're watching them....youtube does playlists too, as mentioned above

My work doesn't require me to look away all the time, and sometimes I like to veg out, watch the videos and appreciate the art direction along with the music. Youtube doesn't always stream seamlessly, nor is it random or inserting things I haven't seen/heard before.

Not good enough? Make a music playlist on itunes? (or another similar service?)

Can't decide what to listen to? you have any idea how many free radio stations there are online?

I'm aware of these services and I use them every so often, yet I still wish I could turn on MTV, watch music videos and discover new music at the same time. Obviously (despite the other options) I feel like this ability is missing from my life, otherwise I wouldn't feel the need to create a topic on it. I can live without it, but as I said it would be nice if MTV still played music videos the way it used to before reality TV took over entire networks.

Anyway, there's a guy on page one, who said MTV sucking is old news. He's right. I can't remember the last time MTV was any good. Pre-1997, I know that much. Long time.... mourning period been over.

Thanks for catching up though!

I saw the MTV quality decline early on, stopped watching it for that reason, and then years later (a few days ago) I remembered how nice it would be if MTV still played music instead of the garbage they play now. Is there something wrong with being upset that most channels called "MUSIC" TV,the "DISCOVERY" channel or the "HISTORY" channel don't live up to their old standards anymore? This is the BELOW top secret forum where people discuss less important/trivial issues, so why not use it to express my disdain for today's TV networks? Am I in mourning? Yeah...you could say that sometimes I am, because I'm sick and tired of every channel trying to feed me idiotic reality TV.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Thanks for the link! I'm trying it right now. So far the only problem is that it seems to break up a lot, and features 80's music only. The picture is pretty small too. Didn't see anyplace where I can maximize the window.

If you download the full TVU Player ( TVUNetworks.com I think) itself you can search the word Broccoli and find the Broccoli TV channel. With the full player you can maximize the window.

They play songs in blocks and have some hourly specials, like all 80's and then all 90's. Sometimes mixed. You may have caught an all 80's block. Like MTV they even have a heavy metal hour.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by notquiteright

Originally posted by AJ1123TKE
I work in the entertainment media and as part of my job often have to analyze programming across networks ... and i hear people say "where's the music video's" with regard to MTV all of the time... let me explain...

Television is a business, all media is a business, and they (with the exception of Satellite Radio or Premium Cable (ie, HBO, Showtime, etc)) are fully funded by ad sales dollars which are based on ratings. Their programming is their product, and unless their product is worth money, they're not going to produce it.

Music video blocks simply no longer rate, in fact, they rate awfully, no matter what time of day they air. It's a simple cost benefit analysis. Paying for the HUGE music marketing rights to air a music video trumps that of the proportional ad sales revenue that the music video would bring in due to lack of ratings. Would you air something that made you LOSE money? Of course not.

Furthermore, you have to consider, the way people ingest music has changed drastically in the past 5, 10 and 15 years. Think about it...honestly, how do you ingest music?

I know that when i was a kid, 15-20 years ago, i would come home from school and turn on MTV to catch TRL and find out what the newest songs were going to be -- it was a ritual, and it was the source for music for my generation. We didn't have iPods, high speed internet, social networks ... things were very different. TRL, and the evening radio was the ONLY way we got the newest music (which was crucial in being cool for a school kid!)

Now --and be honest - how do you "discover" music? Do you no longer listen to music b/c you don't see videos on TV? C'mon! Even if there was a daily block of music videos on MTV, VH1, Fuse, etc... would you really watch and "discover"? Of course not. We ingest music on demand. No one likes to tune in when they have to, we like the freedom of checking out the iTunes top 10, or reading blogs, or checking our "likes" on facebook.

Amazon, iTunes, The social networking game and Google has changed everything. The internet is the most powerful weapon in music's history. The record industry (labels) cry that their bottom lines are hurting due to illegal downloads ... but they ripped of consumers and artists for years. Now, the artists have more exposure than ever, and it's almost ALL online. An artists doesn't need their music videos played on MTV or VH1 to be blindingly successful. Revenue from tours are through the roof b/c the paradigm has changed. Artists don't produced to sell a million records any more, they produce to sell out a 100 shows, that's where the real money (and satisfaction) is. Thanks to social networking they get to interact freely with their fans and spread the word more efficiently when they're coming to town for a show.

....And with regards to their other programming ...come on, don't act like you haven't gotten sucked into a True Life or Sweet 16 marathon ... or for that matter, a Mythbuster's marathon on Discovery, or a Best Thing I Ever Ate marathon on the Food Network.

Every television station, no matter what their area of focus, is tasked with the same challenge... keep and HOLD the viewers attention... and again, think about music videos ... what do you do if you hear a song you hate on the radio? you change the station. that's the LAST thing a TV station wants its viewership to do.

Entertainment media is all about pop culture and engaging the core demographic that the entity has identified. It's all about who has the ability to create pop culture. That's why shows like Jersey Shore (love it or hate it) do so incredibly well. It's the Howard Stern affect -- people who love the show watch it, and people who HATE the show watch it, and it equates to massive ratings.

Aren't we leaving out the most important factor here? The cost to produce reality TV is much less than more traditional programming which requires skilled professionals as opposed to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who just wants to be on TV.

You're 110% correct. The rise of reality TV is for the most part possible because of extremely low overhead cost versus that of a scripted series.

But... one has to consider, that since the advent of reality TV, the sheer number of platforms "company 'A'" has to advertise on, has increased at least ten fold or more...

...meaning that, in 1992, when "The Real World" first aired, PEPSI, for instance (and totally arbitrarily) spent say 20% of it's revenue on on-a-air advertising. In 1992, PEPSI only had to worry about channel's, 2, 4, 5, 7...etc., and a small core contingent of basic cable networks.

Fast forward almost 20 years later... and currently, on Comcast i have something like 800 channels here in NJ, that on top of infintie websites with various niche followings, such as the one we post on (continued in next post)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

MTV's always been like this.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AJ1123TKE

....the point is, that PEPSI's 20% of their total expenditure ad sales budget has remained constant through the shift in media, and their dollar which used to be spread between a handful of channels, is now spread thin through 800 channels, and thousands of websites... not to mention their off channel advertising (bill boards, amusement parks, stadiums, etc...)

what i'm trying to say is that reality TV would've happened regardless of "who did it first". MTV had the proper foresight and capitalized at the right time ... if it weren't them, then another network would have taken the chance shortly thereafter, because, yes, they realized that reality TV was a cheap way to produce engaging than an expensive content, which has proven to be more successful than the traditional scripted series.
edit on 27-10-2011 by AJ1123TKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Andronian

it's true man. it's so easy to emotionally team up with the mindset of the OP (which i'm not knocking, it's a common mindset, and is one that countless others certainly share). What frustrates me, is the hypocrisy of those who agree with the OP mindset without understanding the reasons for change... MTV is 30 years old. How has it or any other network survived? Two words. CREATIVE PROGRAMMING... yes, it's change from what the brand was "supposed" to be. But honestly, just imagine that any network stuck with their 1981 business model... well, it's safe to say that they're certainly not a relevant network today.

And yeah, i'd love an all music all the time channel, who wouldn't? But MTV is way too innovative for that, and that's how they've survived and expanded through the years... that's why we have Music Choice ...all the music... none of the actual videos, but really so what? :-)

...maybe it's because i like to cook while i listen to music ... the way i see it, unless it's a LIVE concert, watching someone sing on tape delay is a waste o time to me! :-)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

sorry, you're right, i'm almost 30, so yes, TRL debuted 12 or 13 years ago.. .my mistake... time flies when you're living life!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I agree. If MTV hadn't done it, it still would have happened. I watched MTV when it was a new channel. I stopped watching even before it changed format, so I don't miss it anyway.

About those 800 channels... It does no good to have that many when there is nothing worth watching on any of them. Sometimes I think we had it better when we only had about 6 or 7 channels and some of them even went dead at night.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

So Internet Killed The MTV Star?

Someone wake up The Buggles ... it's remix time!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Old MTV is Alive and Well - in the form of "pirate" website Broccoli TV .com www.broccoli-tv.com...

The website slogan is "Broccoli TV is - MTV - The way it Used to be"

Thanks for the referral - Broccoli-TV is free and we are under threat of shutdown from "big brother"... so spread the word, watch us while we're still alive! Long live the internet & 80's videos.

Email your 80's Music Video requests to : [email protected]. We're live on weekends (sometimes) and will play dedications over the air. Watchout... you just might see Broccoli in the flesh (the gorgeous asian taking live requests).

You can also find us on a dozen or so other "paid" web-sites, but we're not seeing any kick-backs here, they are pirating our pirate station.
Catch us free here :

www.tvunetworks.com...=49048
or
www.broccoli-tv.com...

Regards, Broccoli.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join