It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beans Beans Beans BEANS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
leave the fart jokes at the door please.

and let me say, im not a vegetarian, but ive been addicted to this one meal for the past 2-3 weeks...

ive been buying dried beans. chickpeas, red beans, pinto, and black.
soaking them for 24 hours(changing the water several times, so NO GAS, hence, no fart jokes apply)
boiling them up with several cloves of garlic
tossing them with chopped green onions and carrots and fresh roasted sunflower seeds
mixing in a big dollop of vegenaise(i actually like it better than regular mayo, it lacks that weird eggy tang)
and then spreading it in a toasted pita with a slice of heirloom tomato and balsamic vinaigrette poured over all of it...

tastes amazing, and ive been feeling FREAKING FANTASTIC since ive started eating it... im guessing all the protein from the beans. i have so much energy, my house keeps getting cleaner and cleaner, and at work im running up stairs and never hitting that "im sick of this and want to go home" wall i normally always hit.

anyone have any ideas of what i should add into it, nutrition-wise?

as far as meat and bad-for-me crap goes, ive also been eating sliced up hard salami with cream cheese and cheshire cheese on rice crackers.. and the occasional fried egg, bacon, and tomato sandwich..
edit on 21-10-2011 by BohemianBrim because: wrong bean name

edit on 21-10-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
leave the fart jokes at the door please.

and let me say, im not a vegetarian, but ive been addicted to this one meal for the past 2-3 weeks...

ive been buying dried beans. chickpeas, red beans, pinto, and black.
soaking them for 24 hours(changing the water several times, so NO GAS, hence, no fart jokes apply)
boiling them up with several cloves of garlic
tossing them with chopped green onions and carrots and fresh roasted sunflower seeds
mixing in a big dollop of vegenaise(i actually like it better than regular mayo, it lacks that weird eggy tang)
and then spreading it in a toasted pita with a slice of heirloom tomato and balsamic vinaigrette poured over all of it...

tastes amazing, and ive been feeling FREAKING FANTASTIC since ive started eating it... im guessing all the protein from the beans. i have so much energy, my house keeps getting cleaner and cleaner, and at work im running up stairs and never hitting that "im sick of this and want to go home" wall i normally always hit.

anyone have any ideas of what i should add into it, nutrition-wise?

as far as meat and bad-for-me crap goes, ive also been eating sliced up hard salami with cream cheese and cheshire cheese on rice crackers.. and the occasional fried egg, bacon, and tomato sandwich..
edit on 21-10-2011 by BohemianBrim because: wrong bean name

You're pregnant?

Wait, are you asking for help, or recipes?? oO

Sliced hard salami with cream cheese... I instantly think someone crying out for help, but..

OO

I cannot imagine a nice solid kabanossi with cream anything.. Eugh, it just oozes the wrong textures..

Sorry,
I am of no help, but if you're craving it so bad you want to run home, you need to invest in a dehydrator for the meat and.. home made jerky, enough of that you'll soon be back to soft meat, but as for the beans..

I just cant imagine that craving.. Oo

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

There once was a bohemian named Brim
Who couldn't get enough beans inside him
The black-eyed bean
He forgot to clean
Was why foul wind emitted from him....

edit on 21-10-2011 by eNaR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I just ate beans a little while ago baked beans with cut up pieces of hot dogs in it... amazingly good and cheap

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I am a vegetarian, so I know my beans. I suggest adding avocados to the mix, sounds strange, but I eat beans and pita or beans and couscous pretty much every day. I prefer black beans and lentils to tell you the truth. Good for you not getting them out of the can, they taste way better the way you described doing it.

Another thing you can do, since you eat meat it might not matter, is make bean burgers, a little bit of flour, parsley, onion, a variety of beans crushed up, some quinoa if you want, cook them on a skillet then throw them in the oven. Tons of protein.

I am curious why you said that rinsing them makes the gas go away, I've never heard that before
edit on 21-10-2011 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I wouldn't eat the salami or any processed meat for that matter.
The preservatives in the meat cause colon cancer.
Eat Canned Salmon.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

something about the sugars the get drawn out into the water, when you change the water a few times, and then rinse them off before cooking it gets rid of most of it.
and i typically have some pretty bad issues with gas, horrible cramps and inflammation, to the point i worried i had crohns. but i havnt had any "problems" hehe.

i love avocados, thats a good idea.
and ill have to try that burger deal.. though theres a bar real close to me that makes a bean burger that sounds just like that..

reply to post by GmoS719

yeah, the salt is bad enough, i think thats the craving i satisfy with them. though i looked up the company and they claim they dont use preservatives.

though i dont plan on buying anymore since i just found a place where i can buy local grass fed no-gmo no hormone etc.. cow and bison and turkey and lord knows what else...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
A bit of culinary trivia, according to Alton Brown( Good Eats), beans actually cook faster in less water than lots of water, unlike pasta. I don't remember what the technical reason was, but just an interesting tidbit.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I am not a vegan but I will tell you the first and probably best thing to ad to that is sprouts then bring me one just thinking about it makes me hungry.

eta with the ava..
edit on 21-10-2011 by jonco6 because: +

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thefurryone

this is true, everything told me to use 3 cups of water for 1 cup of beans.
but i only have small pots, so i use about 2 - 1.5 to 1.. and they always cook perfectly.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jonco6

i used to love sprouts... now im all paranoid about them because they keep killing people. lol.
fresh baby spinach too...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I got myself hooked on sweet potato and black bean quesadillas.

I first roast the sweet potato, the really bright orange ones, in the oven. Don't use the microwave, it doesn't taste anywhere near as good as a natural baking. The oven brings out the sweetness. They also drip out sugar, put tin foil under the potato, because they make a real mess in the oven.

On the first half of your flatbread/tortilla, spread on some mashed sweet potato. Next sprinkle all over with chili powder. I use lots, but it does get spicy.

Then a layer of black beans - I used canned for convenience (rinse first).
Then a layer of grated cheese - whatever type you like best.
Then salsa on the other half of the tortilla, put together, spray on a bit of spray oil, or brush lightly with olive oil, and in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.

They're squishy to eat, but so tasty and healthy. I always feel good after eating them - except for the heartburn from the chili and salsa - but they're so good.

I've recently heard the black beans are the healthiest, due to the dark colour.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I am surprised no one has mentioned rice yet. A number of things along with beans make a complete protein and I understand rice is one of the best. There are a number of things that can be done with rice than plain white rice. Using some wild rice along with other makes for some more exotic-looking rice dishes. Of course rice and beans here in Mexico is common fare. And with fresh tortillas what more do you need?

What is the recipe for "vegenaise"? I haven't tried that but sounds good.

edit on 22-10-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

im not sure about the recipe, its a brand name(i think). i buy it in a jar from the store.
its like mayonnaise, without any animal products(ie eggs, animal fats..)

though i think i might try to come up with my own recipe soon.

im almost to the point where i dont want to buy ANY pre-made products. so ill be making everything from my own pitas/bread to my own mustard.. lol.

i have a new motto with food that im slowly getting the hang of.. "easy = crap, difficult = delicious"
and its true... every single thing i make myself tastes better.. and the harder i search for the best ingredients the better it tastes...

i just gotta stop being so lazy.
haha.... but i was raised by people who ate fast food 4 times a week, and the rest of the week ate processed pre-cooked crap in boxes they just had to heat up in the microwave.

just gotta keep learning as i go.
when i was a kid my favorite snack was melting several layers of american cheese slices onto plain potato chips in the microwave...

i think ive come a long way since then.. haha

(i tried it again a few years ago out of curiosity, i can only imagine my tastebuds were totally dead as a child, it was terrible)
edit on 23-10-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

wow did not hear that the sprouts where tainted thanks for letting me know maybe I will be able to avoid future dr bills .

top topics

join