It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The prequel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Anyway, honestly? I saw Fear a few times and I still honestly don't know what the hell is going on. Two guys go to Vegas because one has to write an article about something happening there and they decide to get drunk and high. That's pretty much it.

Its just the way the movie is put together, its brillant... the way its narrated all the way through by JD... the way hunter uses words is hilarious... i've never read the books honestly, but i will one day....er maybe.

watch it again if you haven't seen it in a while, it gets funnier every time...

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
reply to post by newcovenant

Wait, what?

Are you high?

Hunter said repeatedly throughout his life that he'd rather kill himself than live past the age of 65 and once he was that age, he shot himself.

Nothing to do with freaky deaky conspiracies or anything, just a guy who made a promise and followed through on it. Please leave your BS out of this thread.

Wait, what?

Intellectually "special"?

Hunter Thompson was connected with the Franklin Scandal and late night parties and he went mad. There is some speculation he was murdered or driven to kill himself. On the way out I guess he succumbed to some lure of pedophilia, debauchery and murder. Shall I look it up for you or can you read and do it yourself?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Technically it's not connected to Fear and Loathing in any way. The Rum Diary was one of Hunter's first novels and while heavily based on the time he spent in Puerto Rico is a fictional story. Fear and Loathing on the other hand, while highly exaggerated, is an actual account of Hunter's and Oscar Acosta's trip to Las Vegas. The main character of The Rum Diary isn't even named after Hunter's Duke pseudonym, instead his name is Paul Kemp.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

While the movie loses a lot of the subtext it does have a message more than just drinking and taking drugs. The full title of the book is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream, which aptly describes the theme. This is the story of a man who bought into the optimism of the 60s and then went out seeking to find the American dream, only to find a world filled with false symbols and consumerism. The drugs and alcohol are then his escape from this twisted reality. While much of this is lost in the movie, a portion of it remains in the "wave speech," which was Hunter's favorite passage from the book.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
So this is "The Rum Diary", he doesn't seem one little bit like the Raul Duke from Fear and Loathing.
Still very intersted but I can't see this being as great.

I just read The post explaining it is not a prequal/sequal to the first story.
So never mind.
edit on 1-11-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well, just read the numbers and apparently The Rum Diaries could be one of the biggest movie flops of all time.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
it looks quite good but it'll be as different to fear and loathing as where the buffalo roam was.
fear and loathing is such a great film. "order me some golf shoes or we'll never get out of this place alive"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join