It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rough winter ahead in the Northeast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
According to the farmers Almanac the Northeast section of the country is going to be in for a very cold snowy winter.

www.almanac.com...

After the cold rainy summer we have had in the east it justs fits in to the pattern.The southwest is supposed to be hot and dry. According to several sources including the almanac themselves they are right about 80% of the time. They predict weather two years in advance based on a "secret way" of reading the weather.If that is the case why is there not more advance warning for severe storms or even snowy seasons,ski resorts would pay big bucks to have inside information on snow events. Is it just hype or do they know a lot more than they let us know?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well that blows because we've had insanely low temperatures last winter. Around -25 C or so in my area, wind chills up to -35 C sometimes even -40 C.
I don't think we've gotten a lot of rain lately, just the average, but i think i need to move south or stock up on food and kerosine before a storm hits and downs my power for a week again

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
we really have had bitter cold winters. i HATE them. i would move in a second if only the schools were half as good anywhere else.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I know that this past winter broke some records for cold I know that it was the coldest that I have ever felt in a while I hope it dosent happen again

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thug69
I know that this past winter broke some records for cold I know that it was the coldest that I have ever felt in a while I hope it dosent happen again

I have to ask -- whatever happened to global warming? It may be a little warmer at the poles, but the temperate zones on Earth have definitely been cooler than usual in the last several years...

I know that, down here in Texas, we're just now finishing up the coolest Summer in Texas history (average temperatures were around 85 F, when normally they're over 100 F), and in northern Texas, it's snowed every year for the past 5 years... when previously, it would only snow once a decade, if that often.

Maybe human intervention in the atmosphere has been a blessing in disguise? I don't know. Some scientists think we have another ice age coming, and the CO2 humanity has put into the atmosphere is the only thing stopping it, or at least, slowing it down... Other scientists think that global warming is a very real concern, and the cooler weather we're experiencing is an unexpected "quick fix" by nature of adjusting to humanity... What do you think?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by vapor
we really have had bitter cold winters. i HATE them. i would move in a second if only the schools were half as good anywhere else.

Come join us in Vancouver, Washington. Our schools are top notch. If I'm not mistaken, Washington state has the highest average SAT scores.

www.bend.com...

As an added bonus, we have all four seasons, but normally don't have too many snow/freezing days.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf
As an added bonus, we have all four seasons, but normally don't have too many snow/freezing days.

Ah, but what about all that rain?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Ah, but what about all that rain?

Miami Average Rainfall - 55.91 inches
Atlanta Average Rainfall - 50.77 inches
New York City Average Rainfall - 47.25 inches

Portland, Oregoen - 36.30 inches

www.met.utah.edu...

It doesn't rain as much as you think!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yeah i did a speech on global warming for school, and the more i researched it the more it sounded like BS. They really only say global warming exists to keep their payroll and job, because if the scientists didn't, they be looking for a job right now. Greenpeace did a survey on global warming but they didnt post it because the results were not what they expected. If the earth heats up it naturally cools itself down, which is what its doing right now.
The more crap we have in the atmospehere, the more sunlight it blocks out, so iit evens out when they say global warming trap heat, yes, but it also blocks a lot of the heat coming in.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by vapor

Come join us in Vancouver, Washington. Our schools are top notch. If I'm not mistaken, Washington state has the highest average SAT scores.

www.bend.com...

hmmm, actually i would have thought it would be colder over there. while the high schools may be better, i doubt anywhere in the world can compete with the college level in the NE.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
also the link didn't work

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by crispexi
If the earth heats up it naturally cools itself

How exactly does it do that? The Earth is surrounded by a vacuum, the greenhouse effect is increasing, and you can't just "get rid" of heat, it must go somewhere.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
the earth naturally goes through cycles, right now it is heating up (global warming speads up the process). once it gets hot enough to melt the poles, the cool fresher waters enters the ocean. the lower salt content in the water makes it harded for heat transfer, that added with the cooler water itself will shift weather patterns. this will make the northern and southern parts of the earth VERY cold and the hot region in the middle will get smaller and smaller. this keeps going until new ice caps form and the whole thing starts over again. or so i hear.

new topics

top topics

join