It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we have no soul then why do dead bodies look empty?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Ummmm. because they are like dead. They are empty.

Maybe consciousness is the soul.,

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
They don't LOOK like anything. It is your perception of the object that labels the object in relationship to yourself and your beliefs and not the object itself.

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily live is but a dream.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I don't know how many of you have seen the movie 21 grams, but at the end they talked about an experiment done at the beginning of the 20th century which involved weighing people through the process of their death (from various illnesses and diseases). The scientist who performed the experiment found that on average there was a drop of 21 grams right around the time of death that wasn't explainable. The question asked from this experiment was does the soul weigh 21 grams?

Well, I asked that question to the internet a couple weeks before the movie came out (I saw a movie poster), and boy did I get a lot of responses over the months. My personal feelings are that they should definately repeat the experiment, however if it is in fact true that we lose a measurable amount of mass, then I believe it is the result of an unknown relationship between complexity and weight. IE the brain (the most complex object we know) has such a complex interconnection of neurons that it actually creates mass. You can read more and other peoples ideas on my blog:

21 grams discussion

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by blanketgirl
don't they actually take your organs out when you die anyways?

I thought they did that at funeral homes as part of the whole embalming thing...

So technically, dead bodies look empty because they physically are empty...

I don't think so.....but I'm not sure. I think they drain the blood and replace it with embalmbing fluid but leave the organs intact unless the deceased is an organ donor.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
god doesnt exist, you are wasting your life going to church and worshiping "god" and jesus. any athiest would tell you to live life to the fullest because when you die you dont go to heaven or hell, you just die. its a horriable thought but thats why they made god up, so that people would actually live life believing that something better would come after death. sry but as people in the world get smarter and science gets better more and more people are becoming atheist or agnostic. many things in the bible have been proven wrong. adam and eve, the creation of life, and those are just the first like 2 pages of the bible. there is no proof that god actually exist, its a wander so many people are christian....

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanTodd
god doesnt exist, you are wasting your life going to church and worshiping "god" and jesus. any athiest would tell you to live life to the fullest because when you die you dont go to heaven or hell, you just die. its a horriable thought but thats why they made god up, so that people would actually live life believing that something better would come after death. sry but as people in the world get smarter and science gets better more and more people are becoming atheist or agnostic. many things in the bible have been proven wrong. adam and eve, the creation of life, and those are just the first like 2 pages of the bible. there is no proof that god actually exist, its a wander so many people are christian....

There is also no guarenteed proof that we evolved from primates. If people would go through enough trouble to write i bible thats fake convertmost of the world and then "find" noahs arc all for the sake of religon would scientists not be willing to make a sotry up of evolution and recreat bones and display them to convert people to the sceintific way?

Also when it says the world was made in seven days dont take everything literaly, the bible is made up of storys almost liek fables so that we as a people can understand things more easily, certain thigns must be takne out of context becouse building the universe is probably more completicated than any human could ever understand. You teach kids not to steal and make fun of others and that all things turn out good with storys like the ugly duckling, does this meen its all true, did a duckling really get made fun of by other ducks? No, you teach it in a way the a kid or adult can under stand, much like a dog, you teach a dog not to pee on a carpet by hitting it (not hard) and saying no and putting it out side, eventually the dog realises that peeing on the carpet gets it yelled at and is bad, you dont actually tell the dog why he should not pee on the carpet. Every thing is explained in a way that the mind of what ever your teaching it to can absorb and understand it. There are flaws in every area, if your really interested shoot your self or something i guess, if you belive in nothing you dont got to worry about anything

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by W_HAMILTON
I would venture to say, you could not consistently pick out someone who is dead from someone who is pretending to be dead. Whether there is a soul, or a God, who knows. But I would question the author's original point.

I would gladly take you up on this offer.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blanketgirl
don't they actually take your organs out when you die anyways?

I thought they did that at funeral homes as part of the whole embalming thing...

So technically, dead bodies look empty because they physically are empty...

Right, but what about before they take out the viscera? Did we mistakenly believe that no one saw bodies before they were processed?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join