It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans block bill to save or create 400k jobs for teachers and first-responders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Reuters article

That's right. They blocked funding to save or create jobs for teachers and first-responders. Even though polling showed that the vast majority of Americans were okay with this even if it increased the deficit, they still blocked it.

Meanwhile, you've got half of them chomping at the bit to bomb the crap out of Iran.

What exactly is it in American politics where they care more about disagreeing with the other side than the welfare and opinions of their constituents?

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Glad it was blocked. The last "Job stimulus" did everything except create jobs. This whole throwing money at problems BS has got to stop. This country needs genuine changes for anything positive to come out of it. Temporary fixes for long term problems do nothing but delay the inevitable.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Excuse me. The Democrats have a majorityt in the Senate. They can do whatever they want. If the Dems wanted the bill to pass there would be nothing the Republicans could do to stop them.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

We don'tneed any more first responders and we definitely don't need any more freeloading "teachers". Two of the most powerful public sector unions? Coincidence? Election coming up? Sick and damn tired of, "ooohhhh! The children!"

*puke

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dbarnhart

That article is stating that a tax increase was blocked.

Many people are still firm on no tax increase.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
That jobs bill is bad news. Isn't that the one that increase small to mid business tax to around 50% i could of swore one of the talking heads on tv mentioned it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Because it's not about jobs to them....this is the public sector!

They only want private sector to create jobs....and they certainly don't want to see the unemployment rate dip before the Presidential election.

It's all BS. They endlessly claim that Democrats are destroying jobs...but the truth is Republicans have been on a warpath on destroying public sector jobs and/or the wages and benefits that go along with them. Everytime government programs are cut, there is job loss...increasing the unemployment rate...which Republicans then use as ammo to push their ideology.

It's insane.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Yeah, loading up on jobs we have to get taxed to support is WAY more important then letting the private sector get it's feet back under them to support all the BS, non-profit, non self sustaining, guberment jobs.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Does anyone ever wonder why you never see headlines saying, "GOP blocks bill to save/create 500K IRS-government office worker jobs"?

Why is it always teachers, or medical personel, or bunnies, or innocent bambi-like creatures?

Why is it that the IRS, the deparmental drones that populate DC, the silent innocuous DC leeches, are always safe from termination, but OH NOEZ!

Teachers, organ donors, unicorns are always on the chopping block.

Bull-poop.

Cheap thetrics brought to you by the same folks that gave us Fast and Furious, Solendra, and a gazillion dollar deficit!

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I hate to break it to some people on here but federal funds do not and should not go to bailout unions furthermore why should 49 states be punished for 1 state when those are local and state services which should be funded locally.

And if you still don't get that- that is why people pay property taxes understand that?

For far too long federal taxation robs from everyone and gets dished out to higher populated areas while the littler people get the shaft.

Why should i or anyone else be taxed because that is where that money is coming from to go somewhere like California or New York when i live in another state.

I am glad it was blocked enough cash has gone to prop up unions.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

Yeah, loading up on jobs we have to get taxed to support is WAY more important then letting the private sector get it's feet back under them to support all the BS, non-profit, non self sustaining, guberment jobs.

RECORD CORPORATE PROFITS.

WHERE ARE THE JOBS?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon

This is why you guys are accused of being corporatists...

The private sector had three years to do get it's feet back under them, mean while the right is
complaining about the state of the economy and the lack of jobs. This entire problem is a
based upon a lack of liquidity, someone has to put more capital out there and the private sector
isn't doing it. It is like standing there with a garden hose complaining about the fire that is spreading.

There are several points in the logical equation that you are ignoring, simply because you are
opposed to things just to be opposed to them. Unions did not turn this country into a flaming pile,
this country as strongest when union membership was strong. Don't you find it interesting
that union membership is at an all time low and that coincides with the disappearance of the
middle class and the bad economy? I think you aversion to unions is more based upon your
idealism and less upon their effect on the economy.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

400,000 jobs my ass! Where do they even pull these number from? Oh, their backside. Just like the last "jobs bill" (which we used to just call stimulus spending bills?) created over 2,000,000 jobs. I know I know... where the hell are there?

No where.

Fictitious, lies, the government cannot even track where all the spending is going. Several states tried to track their own spending but soon gave up on the endevour because when you're dealing with large sums of money being instantly divided up over thousands of different agencies all over the country ..... crap gets lost.

So we don't know how many jobs were really created nor how many that were are still around. In fact, the only part of the economy really gaining is minimum wage service sector jobs that the "stimulus" had no part in.

The bills a sham that insults the intelligence of everyday Americans. My favorite part is that it actually opens up litigation if you apply for a job and don't get hired, you would be able to sue the company for discrimination since being unemployed becomes a protected "class" of citizens.

Libtards .. my morning coffee wouldn't be the same without them.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

WHERE ARE THE JOBS?

This is what makes very little sense.

Again the profits are up and the conservative "system" is not working like they
swear it does, again. It is like a suicidal stunt man who can wrap his head
around the fact that his car and his body are subject to more than his ideas,
like death and failure.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I hate to break it to some people on here but federal funds do not and should not go to bailout unions furthermore why should 49 states be punished for 1 state when those are local and state services which should be funded locally.

And if you still don't get that- that is why people pay property taxes understand that?

For far too long federal taxation robs from everyone and gets dished out to higher populated areas while the littler people get the shaft.

Why should i or anyone else be taxed because that is where that money is coming from to go somewhere like California or New York when i live in another state.

I am glad it was blocked enough cash has gone to prop up unions.

And New York and California pay for a large portion of the defense contract for the military
you love.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Wall Steet and New York pay for those social programs that you love so much destroy them and you destroy those programs and a lot of other things that too many peoples myopic vision just can't seem to grasp.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

It's called a tiered economy, economics 101. When the Government (you know, those douche bags you're defending..) creates hundreds of billions out of thin air and toss it into the top levels of the economy (corporate contracts, bank bailouts and increased gov spending) the money stays there. Outside of the service industry the largest corporations mostly profit amongst themselves.. when you build a road the company takes a profit, but spends by buying big equipment and so on .. but the entire cost of a new Catipilar doesn't go to employees, no, it goes to shareholders.

Another way of easily describing the phenomenon is this: Trickle Down Economics.

It doesn't work. Never has, never will. Especially since we are a "trickle up" economy. hence 70% of our economy is .... you guessed it. Service.

Another stimulus bill will = larger corporate profits.

Who's a corporatist now?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

WHERE ARE THE JOBS?
\

How are corporations on the hook for these gubermint jobs? You won't be happy till I close my doors and move to Costa Rica. Maybe neither will I?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

This is what makes very little sense. Again the profits are up and the conservative "system" is not working like they swear it does, again. It is like a suicidal stunt man who can wrap his head around the fact that his car and his body are subject to more than his ideas, like death and failure.

Well look at what is happening. Corporations simply aren't hiring anyone...they actually letting people go...and still outsourcing...while their profits are exploding.

In the meantime, federal and state governments have slashed tons of public sector jobs because of budget problems....further increasing the unemployment rate.

If the wealthy are fighting the taxes to fund public sector services and being successful by lobbying government, and at the same time outsourcing millions of jobs in their own businesses...

I'm sorry...BUT WHO'S TO BLAME HERE?

It's the guy making less than 22k a year trying to take care of his wife and 2 kids?

The single mother in the unemployment line?

Grandma stuck in the wheelchair?

GIVE ME A FRICKIN BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

You won't be happy till I close my doors and move to Costa Rica. Maybe neither will I?

Please do. I'll even pack your bags for you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join