It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Melbourne Protestors clashing with police (w/ video)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Occupy Melbourne Protestors clashing with police (w/ video)

video.news.com.au

Occupiers fenced in.

Protesters and police face off through barriers at City Square, Melbourne.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Unfolding as i type - protestors at Occupy Melbourne (Australia) are being fenced in by police, some in riot gear, along with some minor clashes with police.

Arrests have been made and a large crowd, made up of onlookers and family & friends of protestors, has gathered and has been 'fenced' off from the main protest area and are now filling the streets surrounding the protest.

As far as numbers go, the protestors would be in their hundreds at best, but the gathering crowd could be in the low thousands already.

Developing story. It has recieved coverage on Channel 7 Morning News in Australia already.

video.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT TO ADD: Occupy Mebourne live stream
edit on 20-10-2011 by srsen because: .

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I should add that the problems started this morning when protestors were ordered to leave by 9am or face further police proceedings. The protestors decided they had a right to stay and hunkered down. That was obviously when the problems began.

Here's a video from earlier showing the protestors being 'read their rights' so-to-speak.

Protestors ordered to vacate City Square video

EDIT TO ADD: When the news reporter spoke of the situation she seemed quite worried and said it was likely to get worse before it gets better. There's the feeling it could errupt.
edit on 20-10-2011 by srsen because: .

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
More links and news:

Occupy Melbourne live stream

Riot Police wade in: drag Occupiers out
Occupy Melbourne Eviction video
Occupy Melbourne Facebook (updates)

From Occupy Melbourne Facebook:

4 hours ago: We are committed to peacefully occupying public space and intend to remain. Please join us by 9am if you believe that public use of public space for peaceful protest is worth supporting.

4 hours ago: Safety in numbers people!

4 hours ago: People streaming in. Safety in numbers. We need you by 9am.

1 hour ago: Everyone who is not fenced into the square, please congregate across the road in front of the blue money exchange sign. All supporters coming to the square please congregate here.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
the police are really tuff on it in australia, you can tell its worrying them
just wait until the real econmic problems hit the western nations, then police will be facing way to many people to be able to opress them like this.
its funny how you only have the right to protest when your point is 'socially acceptable'
why cant people deal with the issues before its to late
im sick of this ignoring the issues attitude, we only worry about issues that have a shocking video played over and over on the msm..
reality is people and society are going to be ravaged by economic problems soon and these heros are just trying to follow the old addage "prevention is better than cure"

vive la revolution

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Looks like its getting worse, here's an update from Greenleft:

Update: There are reports members of the Construction Forestry Mining Energy Union are breaking through the police lines blockading Occupy Melbourne and members of the Maritime Union of Australia are on their way.) One report says thousands of people are now occupying the streets surrounding Occupy Melbourne camp in support of the occupation as police try and evict the 200 people there. There are also reports police are sending horses in against the peaceful protesters and tasters are being used.

A rally has been called for 5pm, Friday October 21 at City Square, the site of the occupation.

So they've called a rally for today at 5pm - that'll only attract larger and larger numbers. The police will be very keen to getthe protestors removed before the crowd can start to build. In other words, i dont see the police putting up with much more.

edit on 20-10-2011 by srsen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Sorry for chainposts but more news and updates. Check this article from The Australian:

Riot police using protective shields have moved in on Occupy Melbourne protesters in the City Square.

Police have started to deconstruct the camp site set up by the protesters, destroying tents and putting belongings into a van.

It appears that some protesters have been removed but the majority remain in the city square as the riot police look on.

The protesters were given an eviction notice and told to leave by 9am.

More than 100 police, including some on horseback, surrounded Melbourne City Square where tents have been set up since Saturday as part of the world-wide movement that began as Occupy Wall Street in New York.

There have also been scuffles outside the square in Swanston Street where protesters are sitting on the road and blocking trams.

If the crowd numbers continue to swell it could get out of hand very quickly.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
riot police? Thats so extreme, the people their arent armed or causing any harm, they only want to defend whats right, wa int it only recently the poilice were on strike because of pay disputes? no one stopped them so its unfair the cops stop people who feel the need to protest for a bigger purpose and not just a purpose for them-self individually but for the greater good of people all over the world who are powerless to the money hungry greed of corporations and power hungry (w)banker's

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Thanks for posting this and bringing it to our attention.

Seems the right to protest these days is only on the terms and conditions granted to us by the government.

That being the case it makes the government our masters not our servants.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
And another update:

Protestors have been locked out of the site and are now on the move. Update from Facebook page:

6 mins ago: The centre of the city is flooded with people. We are bearing witness to those fenced in City.

1 min ago:Update: We are on the road. Horses stamped a man peacefully protesting! They have taken our square and locked us out. We have no choice....

3aw update link

Quote from the scene: "Occupy Melbourne protest (site) is no more."

Apparently, the group has moved to Swanson street and there is mainly just chanting and peaceful stuff. Protestors say they will stay all day however and continue the protest. Some protestors still fenced in by riot police, no idea what will unfold there.

EDIT TO ADD: Tweets of protestors being punched, site shut down:

3AW693 3AW 693
RT @triplejHack "...@IseeScott just texted to say she witnessed a police officer punch a protester #OccupyMelbourne"

3AW693 3AW 693
City Square is clear and #OccupyMelbourne is "finished", reports @SebCostello3AW to @DenisWalter3AW.

Strangled by the cops and ejected now they're riding into us. #occupymelbourne #occupymelb yfrog.com/mocl1kj

So the official Occupy Melbourne camp is now officially finished, but the protest has continued on foot up Swanson St. Still reports of clashes happening.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

arrrrrggggggghhhhh
this is annoying me so much watching this unfold
how dumb are the police, we are fighting for them too!
using riot gear and trampling people with horses, we are australian citizens! we are not being violent

when is enough enough???

ITS OUR RIGHT TO PROTEST
JUST BECAUSE THEY DONT AGREE DOESNT MEAN THEY CAN COME IN AND DO THIS CRAP

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WORLD
ITS MESSED UP
IM SICK OF IT
I WANT TO VOMIT, I CANT WAIT TO THE ECONOMY FALLS AND MORE PEOPLE WAKE UP

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

12:50pm: 3AW Reporter Seb Costello just crossed to Denis Walter on 3AW and said: "City Square is clear, Denis. Occupy Melbourne is finished." UPDATE: Riot police have stormed the Occupy Melbourne camp, arresting protesters at City Square amid dramatic scenes.

www.3aw.com.au...

and people think they live in a free country?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
According to 3aw Occupy Melbourne is finished.

12:50pm: 3AW Reporter Seb Costello just crossed to Denis Walter on 3AW and said: "City Square is clear, Denis. Occupy Melbourne is finished."

So the siteis 100% removed and disbanded but we need reports on the other stuff going on. Where are these reports of conflict with the police taking place? Must be where the protest is on-foot.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toldyouso

12:50pm: 3AW Reporter Seb Costello just crossed to Denis Walter on 3AW and said: "City Square is clear, Denis. Occupy Melbourne is finished." UPDATE: Riot police have stormed the Occupy Melbourne camp, arresting protesters at City Square amid dramatic scenes.

www.3aw.com.au...

and people think they live in a free country?

Where did the 'update' part of that tweet come from??? Its not showing for me. I think thats an older tweet

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If they occupy one spot the police will know where their resources must be placed.
Asymetry is the key. occupy must get some leadership and begin a campaign
out side of the CDB then move in the train and tram networks will help.
muliple occupy sites with movement between. make it fun and intersting
wait until the police ,move to the second site then move back. move
quickly and lightly(carry very little of eqiptment). keep at it the longer police
resources are used the less effective they will be and more people will
be able to identify with the people as they see them. keep the police moving
they are not good at fast paced and organised opposition that is the key
organised. It's PR, so victories are necissary, near TV or news outlets is
good.
edit on 20-10-2011 by wondera because: (no reason given)

Remeber the londen rioters keep moving, thats how to spead the defence.
they can either play the man or go to a zone defence with scirmishers.
edit on 20-10-2011 by wondera because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Although, I think the occupy protests may be a sham etc. I live roughly 2.5KM's from where this is happening and am considering get up there to show support and solidarity with the people....Victoria Police are absolute dogs and I expect nothing less of them.

With such a large number of police resources allocated to this, hopefully there will be a minimal police presence at the football tomorrow night (for bloody once!)... tomorrow night's Melbourne derby Melbourne Victory vs Melbourne Heart

MELBOURNE BOYS ARE STILL NUMBER ONE! !!

Victory that is...I care not for Melbourne Heart whatsoever.

ETA: I will get some first hand footage and report on what I see if I do decide to head in.
edit on 20/10/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

Also, football being the voice of the people on a lot of political issues...it may very well kick off there tomorrow night against the tyrannic drones of the Victoria police as it has done on numerous occasions in the past.

I will update as necessary.

ALSO for the record, Football= 'soccer' Footy= Aussie Rules Football

ALSO! If the Occupiers are out in force tomorrow night and getting hassled by the police, chances are The North & South Terraces may be providing extra numbers.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! We have forced police retreat from the terrace AND stadium as early as last year after an assault on an elderly gentleman and a few battered Victoria police officers.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is happening because the Mayor wants the streets cleaned up for the Queens visit later next week. Shame on them! Wish I could be there, the more people the more likely the police will back down. At the moment the police force has the numbers to do this crap, if OM had much larger numbers protesting this wouldn't be happening. This type of treatment is why we should protest, its all ok if the 1% are happy to let it go on, Democracy died a little more today.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

You're so close to it man, i'd deifnitely suggest goin down if your able. I live in Sydney so cant join in, but i'm meant to be going to the Occupy sydney site over the weekend.

You know you're right too, the A-League crowd could spark something with the cops if tension is still in the air! Go Sydney FC by the way

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
A pic from only one minute ago from the protest at Occupy Melbourne right now.

A live stream of Occupy Melbourne here.

Facebook update:

13 mins ago Update: we're being pushed away, police is destroying everything on the square. The crowd is growing. Peaceful people agressed.

New YouTube clip from a little earlier i think:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rellix

Mate, as of lunchtime tomorrow the Melbourne CBD will be inundated with thousands of passionate football fans who are repeatedly victims of Victoria Police brutality and underhandedness. Not a chance they'll get away with this type of BS.

Oh yes, the Eureka flag will be flying high.

"United In Defiance" Victoria is a place where in the gold rush days the miners were getting taxed a ridiculous amount by the powers that be and staged a rebellion against the Brittish troopers and local police- killing a fair number of them.

Not to mention we're a society originating generally from convicts and refugees...one on either side in my case.

Victorians don't take BS just because someones wearing a badge of 'authority'

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join