It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pareidolia – Do Mine Eyes Deceive Me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Pareidolia is the phenomenon that skeptics love to use as reasoning behind paranormal experiences. Basically, it is the phenomenon behind the 'faces in the cloud' and inkblot tests. Since your brain recognizes patterns, this is what skeptics say happens when we think we see a ghost or hear an EVP. In any event, here are some cool pictures of pareidolia in action from The Inside Geek. More images can be seen on the site.

Pareidolia is a psychological phenomenon where an ordinary stimulus, such as a sight or sound, appears more significant than it really is. That devils face in the clouds? Pareidolia. Many skeptics use this phenomenon as an excuse to dismiss many paranormal events. Was that really a ghost, or did our pattern recognizing brain just interpret it as one? Did that EVP really say “I’ll kill you until you are dead Nick!” or did it just sound like that?

Jesus or boy with father?

edit on 20-10-2011 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
you forgot

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
That cloud one was filmed by a local not too far from here.. the video is pretty cool.
But yes, I think we should always have to consider and then reconsider what it is we see before formulating an opinion.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Those are pretty cool clouds.
That first picture though looks to me like JFK standing behind an image of a guy from the 17th or 18th century..lol.

So my eyes must be deceiving me too..lol

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
nice pics....I always get an odd, peculiar feeling when I stare at wood paneling, or wood grain. Over the years, I began calling it "witchweave" because under the right circumstances (wink,wink) I can see old hag witches and evil wizards staring back at me, fully knowing that they had been there all along

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10/20/2011 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
you forgot

haha!

/facepalm

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I could definitely see this as being the reason for a handful of paranormal experiences, especially for people who aren't entirely familiar with the paranormal. For those who actually seek it out, research it, and experiment with it, I bet it's simple for them to tell the difference.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Ha, that's funny! Thought I was the only one who saw creepy faces in wood patterns.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
nice

top topics

join