It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Per Capita Medal Counts is this serious

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
Well, it's true that Australia had the best per capita result.
This Olympics wasn't a lack of success, we came 4th in the gold medal count, for a country of 20million that's incredible.
The only thing disappointing was loosing the 4*200m freestyle to the US. Now that event was meant to be a sure thing for us, loks like the US fluked iton the right day.

Actually Australia was 3 on per capita behind number one Bahamas and number two Norway.

Yes I know what I hope most of you are thinking, it is ridiculous that people take these stats serious. Bahamas the best country in the world in the Olympics!!! Yeah go Bahamas

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flash__04

Actually Australia was 3 on per capita behind number one Bahamas and number two Norway.

Yes I know what I hope most of you are thinking, it is ridiculous that people take these stats serious. Bahamas the best country in the world in the Olympics!!! Yeah go Bahamas

You seem very bitter about this flash, maybe it's because the facts can't be denied. A large population and a large economy DO affect a country's medal count. It doesn't matter how you argue it, the facts remain.

[edit on 31-8-2004 by mad scientist]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
jeez what a big load of crap. This is our most successful olympics ever and we never do any crying and while the per capita medal count is made reference to many times it doesn't detract from the US's medal victories in the game at all.

So stop saying we are going to 'cry' because we aren't and we are damn proud of what we did at the olympics.

All you've done is annoyed an australian (probably even more) not by saying you guys won more medals but by implying that we are a bunch of crybabies. Can't you just accept that all men are equal in the olympics regardless of nation or race and that's what matters.

I'm damn proud of all of our 400+ competitors who went to the olympics because they have what it takes to compete on a world stage.

Russia and China's performance at the olympics was absolutely spectacular and besides your reference to about Russia not being at the top anymore is deluded because Russia was only one of 15 Soviet Republics. Add all their medals together and they would of beaten the US's score.

Population and economic factors are important to a nations success at the olympic games but with a higher population the success per capita does go down. If Australia was the size of the US or China it doesn't mean that we would absolutely kick everyone else in the olympics but it would certainly help us rake in a few more medals.

I'm just damn happy that our athletes did so well so please keep childish statements about other nations to a minimum and accept that Australia did good.

drfunk

There is a great so

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
China has a estimated population of 1,298,847,624 why didnt they kill everyone in medal totals. This whole thing seems like alot of bunk to me.

More to the point, the Soviet Union did well because they had stae sponsored camps for the lack of a better word were people just grew up doing nothing but thier sport. China is much the same way. Like a few years back when the chicom female swimmers were setting records and the coach shruged and said it was caterpillars in thier diet. If caterpillars is chinese for steriods then hes right

I dont understand why we could never put our pro Baseball players in the games. Im sure the Yankees would do great by themselves let alone a allstar team.

They USSR was putting these state sponsered players in but our pros couldnt be in until the orignal Dream team. Baseball is still not allowed what gives?

Another thing I never got was why Pro Boxers could not be in the games. In the old greek games they just had leather straps on their hands no rounds no time limit it was brutal. Now in the games we get this watered down version boxing head gear what like 4 rounds or something that is so stupid. The best boxers in the world cant even get into the games because they have already gone pro.

Why do they do this crap.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk

about Russia not being at the top anymore is deluded because Russia was only one of 15 Soviet Republics. Add all their medals together and they would of beaten the US's score.

drfunk

I thought of just adding up all the medals from the ex-Soviet countries to get a medal count for the USSR if it was still around. Then I thought about it and found it would very hard to do. Because they could have like 15 athletes in one event this time compared to when they might only would have one if they were the USSR. So it wouldnt be as simple as I thought at first.

I guess you could take which athlete preformed best in Olympic trials from each of those countries and make a USSR fantasy team. I would involve alot of work and wouldnt be perfect.

[edit on 31-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

jeez what a big load of crap. This is our most successful Olympics ever and we never do any crying

Please see your own bureau of statistics and identify what it is if not crying?

www.abs.gov.au...@.nsf/0/be9f47591541e29eca256ef40004f25a?OpenDocument&Click=

So stop saying we are going to 'cry' because we aren't and we are damn proud of what we did at the Olympics.

Originally posted by mad scientist You seem very bitter about this flash

Originally posted by drfunk All you've done is annoyed an Australian (probably even more) not by saying you guys won more medals but by implying that we are a bunch of crybabies. Can't you just accept that all men are equal in the Olympics regardless of nation or race and that's what matters.

And people think I seem bitter, I would love to see what this is defined as.

Originally posted by drfunk Russia and China's performance at the Olympics was absolutely spectacular and besides your reference to about Russia not being at the top anymore is deluded because Russia was only one of 15 Soviet Republics. Add all their medals together and they would have beaten the US's score.

Originally posted by Flash__04 sorry Russia you should have maintained your iron rule when you had it but now you lost all those other countries that would have increased your medal count.

Sorry meant to say USSR but used Russia as a reference figuring everyone would understand.
Overall I am gathering that you are not a big fan of my comments drfunk sorry if i offend no harm intended simply speaking the truth of what I see. Not saying you have to agree or like it I just talk it then becomes your choice to listen. So sorry there is always the winter Olympics you guys got 2 gold to our 10 gold 13 silver and 11 bronze want to argue per capita there as well?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

I thought of just adding up all the medals from the ex-Soviet countries to get a medal count for the USSR if it was still around. Then I thought about it and found it would very hard to do. Because they could have like 15 athletes in one event this time compared to when they might only would have one if they were the USSR. So it wouldnt be as simple as I thought at first.

I guess you could take which athlete preformed best in Olympic trials from each of those countries and make a USSR fantasy team. I would involve alot of work and wouldnt be perfect.

[edit on 31-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

Good call shadow I was not even thinking about that, damn wish I would have seen that prior to my last post.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
lol they are the ABS that's their job! statistics! As i said in the olympics all men are equal and the successes from all these nations just goes to prove it. You can't just say that if you make our population the size of the United States we would have heaps more medals because that wouldn't happen. When a population is larger the medals per capita goes down's simple.

And I am not bitter I am just annoyed at the original statement of ignorance (i refered to myself as annoyed in my previous post) that you think that we are crying that the US got more medals than us. That is why I think that post was a load of crap because i've heard nothing but praise for our athletes in Australia and I don't hear the media go on how we would of whipped the Americans if we just had a larger population!
it just doesn't happen.

Shadow good point about the former Soviet Republics but still the USSR would be a good match for the US in the olympics and you can't deny that

what i'm trying to get at is that you think that we are all sorry and are crybabies that we cant beat the US and we make up all these other excuses and use statistics to back ourselves up but this just aint true. In Australia what you are implying would be being a bad sport and when you call someone a bad sport it is a real insult. We pride ourselves on playing fair game and giving the victor their deserved praise.

thanks,
drfunk

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 31-8-2004 by drfunk]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   

So sorry there is always the winter Olympics you guys got 2 gold to our 10 gold 13 silver and 11 bronze want to argue per capita there as well?

He may not want to but I'll go there. I don't know what Norways population is but ours is 1/10 of yours and you only managed to double our medal production.
Should I look up Norways population.

1. Germany 12 16 7 35
2. Norway 11 7 6 24
3. United States of America 10 13 11 34
4. Russian Federation 6 6 4 16
5. Canada 6 3 8 17

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Australia's location and climate doesn't allow for much of a winter environment. Therefore we can't really excel at the winter olympics because we are not a winter nation.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It's a good thing that medal count is such an important thing in today's world (sarcasm).

I'm proud of all of the athletes. It is nice that in most cases politics were put aside and true sportsmanship prevailed.

All of the talk of medal count and who is the best per capita is great, but let's put it in perspective considering the day and age we live in.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

So sorry there is always the winter Olympics you guys got 2 gold to our 10 gold 13 silver and 11 bronze want to argue per capita there as well?

He may not want to but I'll go there. I don't know what Norways population is but ours is 1/10 of yours and you only managed to double our medal production.
Should I look up Norways population.

1. Germany 12 16 7 35
2. Norway 11 7 6 24
3. United States of America 10 13 11 34
4. Russian Federation 6 6 4 16
5. Canada 6 3 8 17

Thanks boss, norway is 4.5 to 4.6 million. I was simply trying to point out the fact that its a little more then population there is so many extraneous variables that people are unwilling to account for in the big scheme of things.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf
It's a good thing that medal count is such an important thing in today's world (sarcasm).

I'm proud of all of the athletes. It is nice that in most cases politics were put aside and true sportsmanship prevailed.

All of the talk of medal count and who is the best per capita is great, but let's put it in perspective considering the day and age we live in.

(sorry as I thought you were drfunk and was making a coment in that mind set. so drfunk this is my response to your next comment then.) I figured it out I think you want to have Phelps wearing your colors instead of ours. That�s it isn�t it? You would do an even swap Thorpe for Phelps in a heartbeat wouldn�t you? Come on send him over then his and Amanda Beards relationship (or marriage) no longer has to be secret. Or better yet maybe you and I should switch places then I can experience the flip side of this argument. Let me know before we switch though if your life is interesting I am a 22 year old who graduated from college in May. If we switch you have to have something better because I am giving up the better country.

dcgolf you remind me of a parent that tells the kids that lose all the time that they are a winners for trying. You can tell you have kids; it�s nice to see a nurturing male.

[edit on 8/31/2004 by Flash__04]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf

I figured it out I think you want to have Phelps wearing your colors instead of ours. That�s it isn�t it? You would do an even swap Thorpe for Phelps in a heartbeat wouldn�t you? Come on send him over then his and Amanda Beards relationship (or marriage) no longer has to be secret. Or better yet maybe you and I should switch places then I can experience the flip side of this argument. Let me know before we switch though if your life is interesting I am a 22 year old who graduated from college in May. If we switch you have to have something better because I am giving up the better country.

Actually, I was born in the US, I live in the US and love the US. I feel great pride in the accomplishments of our athletes. I just wanted to point out the fact that many athletes (and fans) showed true Olympic spirit during these games and in the end there are more important things than Olympic medals.

BTW, I'm a 31 year old male who is a project manager for a construction company and have a beautiful wife and thre gorgeous girls aged 4, 6-months and 6-months (twins). I wouldn't trade with you for all of the money in the world (except maybe in 15 years when they are all teenagers).

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf Actually, I was born in the US, I live in the US and love the US. I feel great pride in the accomplishments of our athletes. I just wanted to point out the fact that many athletes (and fans) showed true Olympic spirit during these games and in the end there are more important things than Olympic medals.

BTW, I'm a 31 year old male who is a project manager for a construction company and have a beautiful wife and thre gorgeous girls aged 4, 6-months and 6-months (twins). I wouldn't trade with you for all of the money in the world (except maybe in 15 years when they are all teenagers).

sorry didn�t look at who posted the thread my bad, thought I was talking to drfunk ill fix that post in a sec. Might make a little more sense of all the Australia references eh. Disadvantage of posting late at night I guess no excuse for such a mistake though. Oh and by the way why we are off topic what is a construction project manager is that like a glorified foreman?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Oh and by the way why we are off topic what is a construction project manager is that like a glorified foreman?

Overall responsibility and stress of the project without union pay or overtime. But, the benefits compensate for the lack of OT!

Don't worry about the mix-up. It happens from time to time.

[edit on 31-8-2004 by dcgolf]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Let�s get serious people I understand that there is an American dominance over the Olympics but now Australia is going to justify their lack of success by crying about population advantages. What�s next poverty rates, land mass, spoken foreign languages, obesity rate, percentage of homosexual competitors to actual population norm, crime statistics, percentage of medals to individuals ranging 15-30, amount of fast food consumed by athletes, yearly sexual activity of competitors, for the subjective judging we can start to look at judges ratings and their alliance with the given country they score, the incarceration rate, the educational norms, oh best of all we should get a percentage of athletes in each nation and then correlate that to medals won. I could go on but hopefully I have begun to make my point. Lets get real its just another year of USA dominance and sorry Russia you should have maintained your iron rule when you had it but now you lost all those other countries that would have increased your medal count. Oh well sucks to live anywhere else� sorry to all outside the USA readers don�t mean to offend just tired of all the BS about our supremacy. We had the greatest medal count in the Olympics deal with it!!!

Get over it whats wrong with national pride? so Australia won more medels per person then most countries it dosnt lessen what the USA achived. besides could you yanks even find Australia on a world map?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Obviously, the population makes a difference, I don't think Monaco could win more medals than the USA.

One thing no one is comparing and I liked to see, is the number of medals per athlete or team that each country sent to the Olympic Games, that could be a better way to judge a country's performance.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
The larger a countries population, the more talented people in a country, the more people can win a medal.
It's pretty simple, and it's not weird to take population size into consideration when you insist on comparing countries to eachother.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
How many NBA players were actually playing in other countries Olympic basketball teams? The 2004 dreamon team actually played against NBA players who went back to their home countries!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join