It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make the US a Democracy and END the broken politics of Washington.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Our country's political system is broken.
It is time we the People take it back and make sure that backdoor politics and corruption ruin any more generations. We have the technology to allow for a modern day Democracy. Allow the internet to be used so that the people can vote on the Laws and Bills that affect our everyday lives. This will create a new check and balance to our system and give the power to the people.

If this sounds intriguing to you sign this petition:
wwws.whitehouse.gov...#!/petition/make-us-democracy-create-new-branch-gov-allows-people-veto-any-lawbill-passed-other-branches/bpqnPpSv

(If you want to go to the link do not click on it but instead highlight and insert the whole url in your address bar, if you click on the link it will just bring you to the homepage of all the petitions)

Hopefully we can discuss this here and fine tune the idea

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think I put it in the wrong forum but I dont know how to change it now.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I fear that signing anything that is critical of this Police State will back fire. This will just be a list of "domestic terrorists" for them to use against us. I like where your heart is at though.
edit on 20-10-2011 by UnaChispa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
A return to the system of government that used to work very well is what Ron Paul is trying to do.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by evs490

it was a republic, now its a plutocratic democracy.

if you want to restore this country, you dont want democracy because you'll head down the same path that led us here.

you want a republic... for which it stands... one nation, under god, indivisible with liberty and justice for all!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnaChispa
I fear that signing anything that is critical of this Police State will back fire. This will just be a list of "domestic terrorists" for them to use against us. I like where your heart is at though.

I agree with you in all percentages, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. If we allow tyrants to remain tyrannical, then that is our fault, not theirs. The Republic isn't broken, the people that control it are. Destroy the corruption and restore the Republic. It will be bloody, but it must be done.
edit on 20-10-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

link   
I'd rather fix our republic than usher in a whole new system.

link   
I'm not into Revolution I just wish our country to be Restored to it's rightful form of government which is a Republic.

The reason we're in our current mess is because we have established a Democracy.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
What's with all these "democracy" loons actively and aggressively pushing to give up control of their life to their neighbors?

Democracy is bunk. A Republic is bunk. Mob rule and mob rule lite.

Where's the system that has me being left the hell alone?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by evs490
Our country's political system is broken.
It is time we the People take it back and make sure that backdoor politics and corruption ruin any more generations. We have the technology to allow for a modern day Democracy. Allow the internet to be used so that the people can vote on the Laws and Bills that affect our everyday lives. This will create a new check and balance to our system and give the power to the people.

If this sounds intriguing to you sign this petition:
wwws.whitehouse.gov...#!/petition/make-us-democracy-create-new-branch-gov-allows-people-veto-any-lawbill-passed-other-branches/bpqnPpSv

(If you want to go to the link do not click on it but instead highlight and insert the whole url in your address bar, if you click on the link it will just bring you to the homepage of all the petitions)

Hopefully we can discuss this here and fine tune the idea

Do you belive in manipulation? Do you think the government can manipulate or engeineer the way people/society thinks?

if NO - pull your head out of the sand...

if YES - how effecitve is democracy on a society thats easily engineer/influenced to think the way they do?

Answer - It's not...nor will it every be

The mere fact the "media" can influence and perpetuate certain trends/ideas/beliefs of thought or beliefs is enough to know that a Majority doesn't give justification...a Majority vote doesn't make it a good idea/system.

If Nazi Germany were the democracy we have here in the US nothing would have changed. The people of germany were manipulated/influenced/engeneered AKA Brainwashed into believing the Nazi agenda...those who didn't fall for it wouldn't have been enough to do anything about it.

Just the other day I took 10 psychiatric patients out to the yard and one of them wanted to see what It would be like to "touch the electric fence" then another and another and as a joke I said ok lets vote, "if you wan't to touch the electric fence raise your hand".....

7 of them raised there hand...

If 99% of the world were raicist does that suddenly make it ok?

edit on 20-10-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
We have never been a democracy, the problem with republics has and always been when certain political cliques gain to much power/money/control which is why a republic was a hard sell to the colonists. It wasnt until John Adams wrote a book that really helped quell those fears. But today we are witnessing the problems that plagued past republics.

This idea isnt to create a total democracy but a mix of the two, we would still vote for representatives as we do in todays republic but the people will be able to vote down the laws if they do not feel they are just or right for the country.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

We have never been a democracy, the problem with republics has and always been when certain political cliques gain to much power/money/control which is why a republic was a hard sell to the colonists. It wasnt until John Adams wrote a book that really helped quell those fears. But today we are witnessing the problems that plagued past republics.

This idea isnt to create a total democracy but a mix of the two, we would still vote for representatives as we do in todays republic but the people will be able to vote down the laws if they do not feel they are just or right for the country.

Like I said, we need to fix the republic before we change entirely to mob rule.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

what would you do to fix it?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Let's just keep our Constitutional Republic.

We need to get rid of the Career Politicians that have caused this mess.

Then we need to educate the voters to be intellegent and vote for more than a "D" or "R"

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

despite the average american being quite dumb they are not the same as a mental patient, isnt it easier to manipulate a persons vote 1x every 2 years then everyday.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

we could try to get rid of the "D"s and "R"s and not allow political parties like it was intended to be.

I understand people wanting to keep the country a republic like it was founded on but i do feel there needs to be a way that the people can have a say. Just because its a good system does not mean its the best it could be. We have tools that the founding fathers never dreamed, and besides Thomas Jefferson wanted the constitution rewritten every 19 years so that we weren't slaves to the previous generation, with the oldest constitution in the world we are slaves to people who had never seen the Pacific Ocean

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Too many dumb people for us to have a democracy, I don't want one.

Lets have states rights, where we only hear from our government in a time of war or national crisis, and this won't be a problem anymore.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

And the Patriot Act would still pass with flying colors.

The only way I'd accept democracy a republic or a mix of the two or any situation where a majority can dictate to me the parameters of my life is if every decision, regulation, law, action, etc... had to be 100% unanimous which could never be achieved.

That way I would be sure to be left the hell alone.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Unfortunately an internet-based democracy wouldn't work until measures are taken to obliterate security and reduce fraud. Many of the people on this site are no PC savvy and seem to think online polls are accurate. They are not because it is possible for a single person to vote many times. This can and will skew results.

For those of you about to jump me saying, "But the sites make it so when you vote it says "you already voted" blah blah. Do this: First, make a new username if one is required to vote. Use a different, free, e-mail address. If the site does not require a username, then simply walk over to your modem and router, unplug both for 10 seconds, plug them back in. Or even simpler, if you're using Windows, Start > run > cmd > type ipconfig /release and press enter > ipconfig /renew and press enter. Voila! Unless you pay for a static IP address, IP blocking has an easy workaround. How do you think banned forum members get back here? Not to mention with the advent of the smart phone, you can easily vote on your PC and your phone.

You can require a username and SSN to vote, but then you run the risk of packet sniffing and hackers obtaining sensitive identity information on thousands of people. So, as I said previously, there needs to be a drastic change in current internet technology for an internet democracy to work.

The other option is cell phones and texting to vote. The problem here lies in the fact that some people have multiple cell phones for work, personal use, or other stuff.

Frankly, it just isn't feasible right now.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

and what political system would allow that, are you anarchist?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join