It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street should promote ballot questions and other local activities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm not in the New York are or any of the other areas with major political protests but there are ways that all of us could do more to draw attention to these protests and the corruption of the most powerful institutions. This doesn't have to all take the same positions without question; in fact that isn't the way a sincere democracy would work at all. this is why I think we should have election reform and this should include more ballot initiatives. the Initiative & Referendum Institute has provided some information about what the requirements are in different states; however in many states they still don't even have the option to call for direct voting on ballot questions. therefore I think it would be apropiate to make that one of the demands and have written a new blog about the subject, What is your ballot or candidate question? if anyone is interested.

A sincere democracy should involve more input from the public and we should also be able to control the interview process and what is asked of the candidates both in a process that requires them to fill out applications like any other job applicant and answer questions during interviews like any other job applicant.

The running of our country is the most important job we have available yet those that supposedly choose the politicians don't control the process; instead the politicians and the Mass Media control it. this gives the Mass Media the opportunity to veto anyone they don't like and we routinely get the choice between only those candidates that have been approved by the corporations. Project Vote Smart has attempted to help reduce the control of the Mass Media over the elections and make more information available to the public about their positions; unfortunately few people know much about them; and the candidates often refuse to reply to the questionnaires. If any of you're interested please check this out and ask the candidates to answer the questions and let them know you won't vote for them unless they answer to the people.

Also I have come up with some of my own ideas about how people can draw attention in their own areas in a little satire about Cash Register Protests that I wrote a couple of weeks ago. It focuses on price gouging and planned Obsolescence that corporations use to scam consumers. this costs consumers hundreds of billions of dollars a year and there should be much more attention drawn to it. A typical pair of sneakers used to last close to two years; now they fall apart in under six months.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that these various "Occupy" activities are so fundamentally pointless and wrongheaded that they're worthless for the promotion of any legitimate political agenda.

But then again, I'm am so cynical that I think that even the most established political organizations are nothing but scams designed to drain the tax system and funnel money to whoever gives you the most money and favors, so I guess that isn't surprising.

Occupy Wall Street should get a job, go home and stop bothering people, not be transformed into any kind of actual political party or organization. We already have enough organized crime in this country.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I am of the opinion that these various "Occupy" activities are so fundamentally pointless and wrongheaded that they're worthless for the promotion of any legitimate political agenda.

But then again, I'm am so cynical that I think that even the most established political organizations are nothing but scams designed to drain the tax system and funnel money to whoever gives you the most money and favors, so I guess that isn't surprising.

Occupy Wall Street should get a job, go home and stop bothering people, not be transformed into any kind of actual political party or organization. We already have enough organized crime in this country.

I agree we do "have enough organized crime in this country," in fact most of it is being conducted by the multi-national corporations. I could provide an enormous list of activities that they do that either is or should be considered criminal including price fixing, suppression of fair competition, destroying the environment, corrupting the political process, dominating the Mass Media and using it as a propaganda machine. And the list could go on much longer; this is what the Occupy Wall Street movement is trying to stand up to.

If there is a problem then it is that they haven't organized their tactics in the most effective way possible; however given time I hope they'll be able to address that.

Also regardless of your opinion on OCW increased participation in the ballot initiative process would be a good way to advance public participation in the democratic process and I would welcome any suggestions you have on what ballot questions should be asked even if I don't agree with you on everything.

join